Online Check-In

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
So, I started using the Online check-in feature from ReservationKey. Even wrote a whole set of COVID questions. Today, we have a guest... hasn't done the online check-in and I'm trying to decide... do I want them at all?

Without doing it, they haven't certified that they are COVID free, having been incontact with someone with COVID, etc. I've sent them the link at least 3 times already.

Also, they don't have the code to check-in. Because... if you don't agree to our policies, you can't check in.

Why do people do this? This isn't the Ritz? This is my personal home.

If they arrive at all, ask for their email or phone number as they are required to answer the questions before entry. Say you’ll send it again as they don’t seem to have seen the link the other three times. Tell them to ring the bell again after they’ve submitted the form. Close the door.

We had the form in hand for guests to fill in if they hadn’t already done it. I also refused to open the door if they were maskless. I’d point at my mask and the sign and most went back to the car to get their mask.

If they arrive at all, ask for their email or phone number as they are required to answer the questions before entry. Say you’ll send it again as they don’t seem to have seen the link the other three times. Tell them to ring the bell again after they’ve submitted the form. Close the door.

We had the form in hand for guests to fill in if they hadn’t already done it. I also refused to open the door if they were maskless. I’d point at my mask and the sign and most went back to the car to get their mask.

These are our first guests from over the border. I haven't figure out why they opened the border. But they need to be double vaxxed and have a clean PCR test to get over the border at all.

So, I started using the Online check-in feature from ReservationKey. Even wrote a whole set of COVID questions.

Without doing it, they haven't certified that they are COVID free, having been incontact with someone with COVID, etc. I've sent them the link at least 3 times already.
@Generic what is your opinion of the ONLINE check-in feature? I've wondered if it would be beneficial. We have the advantage that guests don't come in our apartment unless invited. Since COVID check-in is done with a clipboard at the door so not a lot of guest contact.

I often wonder how effective the COVID questions are in practice, we are at that age where doctor visits are frequent and they ask the same at each visit. We've had the vaccine, and try to keep our distance from unknown folks, but not like you don't have limited contact with strangers in this business. I get especially tickled at questions about shortness of breath as it becomes a way of life, the wife would have never made it to their door without portable oxygen.

@Generic what is your opinion of the ONLINE check-in feature? I've wondered if it would be beneficial. We have the advantage that guests don't come in our apartment unless invited. Since COVID check-in is done with a clipboard at the door so not a lot of guest contact.

I often wonder how effective the COVID questions are in practice, we are at that age where doctor visits are frequent and they ask the same at each visit. We've had the vaccine, and try to keep our distance from unknown folks, but not like you don't have limited contact with strangers in this business. I get especially tickled at questions about shortness of breath as it becomes a way of life, the wife would have never made it to their door without portable oxygen.

I like it, but I have to admit that John had to modify it for me. For some reason, he decided that {{resdetails}} had to be listed. I asked him to move it from the CSS to the Website messages, so people can choose. He modified the CSS for me. But I'm sure that others will have the problem with the OTAs and not being allowed to show prices.

I list all the conditions, but for COVID, I have listed...

<ul>
<li>I/We are not currently required to quarantine</li>
<li>I/We have not been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 day.</li>
<li>I/We have no symptoms associated with COVID-19 (fever, difficulty breathing, loss of smell, loss of taste, extreme fatigue)</li>
</ul>

I added two "Custom Fields" though only 1 actually works properly...
1. A checkbox to agree that they are COVID free. Basically satisfying the government requirements for me.
2. A question for breakfast time as radio buttons.

When they submit it, it sends them the self check-in information, the code for the door, for example. Which we used to send out manually. And we don't have to ask them about breakfast, etc.

I like it, but I have to admit that John had to modify it for me. For some reason, he decided that {{resdetails}} had to be listed. I asked him to move it from the CSS to the Website messages, so people can choose. He modified the CSS for me. But I'm sure that others will have the problem with the OTAs and not being allowed to show prices.

When they submit it, it sends them the self check-in information, the code for the door, for example. Which we used to send out manually. And we don't have to ask them about breakfast, etc.

@Generic Thank you for the info

Back