Online Reputation Monitoring

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I'm sure they ask for the reviews...we do too. And of course the bigger the inn = more guests = more reviews...its a numbers game.
It just seems that only a few of the guests that mention that they are going to write a review ever do.
Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking..
Hangfive said:
Oh, I'm sure they ask for the reviews...we do too. And of course the bigger the inn = more guests = more reviews...its a numbers game.
It just seems that only a few of the guests that mention that they are going to write a review ever do.
Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking.
That's the other side of the sword...someone who might just have said, 'It's not so bad we have to write and tell everyone,' and then you come along with a nice request for a review and voila! off they go to write a not so hot review.
I would bet that 90% of the guests who have written reviews for us never would have gone near a review site had we not asked. They still only have 1 review to their names.
Morticia said:
Hangfive said:
Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking.
That's the other side of the sword...someone who might just have said, 'It's not so bad we have to write and tell everyone,' and then you come along with a nice request for a review and voila! off they go to write a not so hot review.
I would bet that 90% of the guests who have written reviews for us never would have gone near a review site had we not asked. They still only have 1 review to their names.
We had a business guest here, who really enjoyed his stay and was going to bring his wife along next time. I had early breakfasts for him, cut rates, all the amenties - he was absorbing all the snacks and sodas and walked to restaurants and the biz he was here to visit.
He spoke to me on many occasions about the diff here compared to a hotel. How we offer so much more and he would recommend us...etc This was when we had the BandB.com "little" review cards, so if you wrote teensy tiny you got a couple lines on the card or one line. I gave him one of those cards...following protocol.
His review was how he spoke and actually MEANT something good, but no one else would know this.
"This B&B met my expectations"
I was not happy. In his perspective it was a GREAT REVIEW. Not in mine.
cry_smile.gif

wow, joey.
even though we see these huge trends to reviews and opinions, i am a much more thoughtful shopper. if there are negatives, i look to see what they are all about. sometimes they are ridiculous. sometimes they are harsh. i like to see an innkeeper or seller or store response. (not a rant) if i get a good feeling after reading the response, i'm satisfied and will stay, shop or buy there.

Yea, I wish I knew some majic formula. The fact is after a guests leaves, they go on with their busy life and forget to post a review. Since buying a B&B and learing the importance of reviews I always try to review places that I stay if I I have something good to say. And since I don't travel that much I forget my TA user name and have to sign up all over again, it is kind of a hassel to sign-up and post a review.
I've been to the inn in question and while it's pretty nice, it's not any better than anyone else in town. The boat loads of over the top review just make me wonder..
Hangfive said:
Yea, I wish I knew some majic formula. The fact is after a guests leaves, they go on with their busy life and forget to post a review. Since buying a B&B and learing the importance of reviews I always try to review places that I stay if I I have something good to say. And since I don't travel that much I forget my TA user name and have to sign up all over again, it is kind of a hassel to sign-up and post a review.
I've been to the inn in question and while it's pretty nice, it's not any better than anyone else in town. The boat loads of over the top review just make me wonder.
So what is your theory on this? I have seen the sickening over the top reviews and wonder as well, to be honest, some of them put me off and I always wonder if the innkeepers are embarrassed by too much gushy ga-ga stuff?
I love the reviews that are complimentary and give info about the place or area. The ones that describe the innkeepers only/mostly always bother me, as a guest I want to know about the inn. But as is evidenced by MOST reviews - it is indeed the innkeepers WHO MAKE THE STAY WORTHWHILE!
(talking outloud on this as I type it, sorry)
Yeah, especially the over-the-top reviews that name the innkeeper and then the reviewer has the same name as the innkeeper!!!
Yes, I have seen that. And worse, I have seen the same inn do it more than once!!!
I especially wonder when ALL OF THE NEW REVIEWS mention the innkeeper by name! It always seems more for job security for the new innkeeper than a real review. Call me a cynic.
When they're one-hit-wonders, I am always suspicious. When they're one-hit-wonders that mention the innkeeper by name, I'm doubly so.
Uh oh. I think most of mine mention us by name. I think that's good, tho. The ones that say 'the hosts' or 'the innkeepers' make me think it's purely generic, they don't even remember where they stayed! I had one where the guests KNOW us, we've been out to dinner TWICE with them and they called us 'the owners'. Huh?
Uh oh. I think most of mine mention us by name.
Most of ours do too, and I'm proud of the fact.

I've seen a new trend on TA where the reviews are all word for word from the website of the Inn...mentioning the same breakfasts by name, describing rooms or food with the exact same verbiage...I think this is the one where they get some company in Asia to mass produce a slew of reviews. I just think people are smarter than that when they are looking for someplace to stay.

I've seen a new trend on TA where the reviews are all word for word from the website of the Inn...mentioning the same breakfasts by name, describing rooms or food with the exact same verbiage...I think this is the one where they get some company in Asia to mass produce a slew of reviews. I just think people are smarter than that when they are looking for someplace to stay..
InnsiderInfo said:
I've seen a new trend on TA where the reviews are all word for word from the website of the Inn...mentioning the same breakfasts by name, describing rooms or food with the exact same verbiage...I think this is the one where they get some company in Asia to mass produce a slew of reviews. I just think people are smarter than that when they are looking for someplace to stay.
next time you see that, will you share so we can see? have you heard of an actual service, asian or otherwise, that does this? ta should pull reviews like that.

I've seen a new trend on TA where the reviews are all word for word from the website of the Inn...mentioning the same breakfasts by name, describing rooms or food with the exact same verbiage...I think this is the one where they get some company in Asia to mass produce a slew of reviews. I just think people are smarter than that when they are looking for someplace to stay..
InnsiderInfo said:
next time you see that, will you share so we can see? have you heard of an actual service, asian or otherwise, that does this? ta should pull reviews like that.
I get emails all the time from 'Priti Patel' telling me how bad reviews can ruin my business and how I should hire him to make sure there are a lot of good reviews out there about my place. It's a business, no doubt.
I would think any review that sounds like the website could be written off as a fake.

Back