Online Reputation Monitoring

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfive

Reaction score
A large inn in my area uses a marketing company that advertises as part of their internet marketing service that they offer "Online Reputaion Monitoring". I wonder why this inn has sooo many glowing reviews on TA.

Online Reputaion Monitoring
On the low end, you have the monitoring company that just creates a couple of Google alert's and then email you when they are alerted... kind of paying for something that anyone ought to be able to do pretty easily themselves. On the high end you have some that will actually monitor major review sites and its not inconceivable that they would be able to generate fictitious reviews...though I have to think that in most cases the technical footprint would be pretty easy for a site like tripadvisor to spot.

well, their website design portfolio shows gorgeous properties with interesting websites, great photos, lots of bookings.
maybe that place near you IS that good. maybe the innkeepers aren't shy about asking guests to post reviews if they're happy.
if 1/10 of the folks who told me they loved my place, loved me, blahblahblah, actually posted ta reviews, i'd have been really happy. i don't know what the magic formula is for making that happen. i learned to respond to a 'we love it here' with 'thank you so much! i would appreciate it if you'd post a nice review on t.a.' but it only resulted in a handful of reviews.

Most of the "Big name" web design folks for B & B"s also do "internet marketing.'

Yea, I wish I knew some majic formula. The fact is after a guests leaves, they go on with their busy life and forget to post a review. Since buying a B&B and learing the importance of reviews I always try to review places that I stay if I I have something good to say. And since I don't travel that much I forget my TA user name and have to sign up all over again, it is kind of a hassel to sign-up and post a review.
I've been to the inn in question and while it's pretty nice, it's not any better than anyone else in town. The boat loads of over the top review just make me wonder.

Yea, I wish I knew some majic formula. The fact is after a guests leaves, they go on with their busy life and forget to post a review. Since buying a B&B and learing the importance of reviews I always try to review places that I stay if I I have something good to say. And since I don't travel that much I forget my TA user name and have to sign up all over again, it is kind of a hassel to sign-up and post a review.
I've been to the inn in question and while it's pretty nice, it's not any better than anyone else in town. The boat loads of over the top review just make me wonder..
Hangfive said:
Yea, I wish I knew some majic formula. The fact is after a guests leaves, they go on with their busy life and forget to post a review.
We also enjoy alot of glowing reviews. The majic forumla is to ask for them. In my thank you email to departed guests, I ask them to post a review and include links in the email to our profiles on bb.com, TA, bnbfinder and Yelp.
Ask and ye shall receive......

I've been to the inn in question and while it's pretty nice, it's not any better than anyone else in town. The boat loads of over the top review just make me wonder..
Hangfive said:
I've been to the inn in question and while it's pretty nice, it's not any better than anyone else in town. The boat loads of over the top review just make me wonder.
So what is your theory on this? I have seen the sickening over the top reviews and wonder as well, to be honest, some of them put me off and I always wonder if the innkeepers are embarrassed by too much gushy ga-ga stuff?
I love the reviews that are complimentary and give info about the place or area. The ones that describe the innkeepers only/mostly always bother me, as a guest I want to know about the inn. But as is evidenced by MOST reviews - it is indeed the innkeepers WHO MAKE THE STAY WORTHWHILE!
(talking outloud on this as I type it, sorry)

hangfive, i don't think we've 'spoken' much on this forum.
instead of trying to figure out why and how that 'large inn in (your) area' has so many glowing reviews, you need to develop a strategy to get some of those reviews for you.
even though YOU feel 'it isn't any better than anyone else in town' i suggest that it's time to take a closer look.
i always look to see what the 'best' places do that i can do, too.
if you tell me that this other place offers nothing that you don't and that your place is just as nice and that the ta reviews must be rigged, i can't help you.

I think this gets to everyone who is trying to pull together a business and sees the competition 'just sailing along' getting great reviews, being interviewed in magazines, always seeming to be one step ahead.
However, as much as there IS a certain 'luck' factor involved (sometimes the innkeeper just IS in the right place at the right time), much more of that aura is from good old hard work.
So, you see where they are shining and are sure you are better...go after that. Yes, guests get on with their lives and are not 'review machines' but at least 10% of guests will give you a review, IF YOU ASK. So ask. Without asking, I get about ONE review/month. However, WITH asking, I get about 3. NOT a lot but 300% increase! I cannot compete with a place that gets hundreds of reviews, but if anyone here was getting that, I'd find out how.
Is this place getting more business? Why? Because of the reviews or because they have a marketing company telling them HOW to get more biz? If the latter, hire a marketing company (not the same one) for 3 months to tell you what to do, how to do it and how to make it successful. We are not all born salesmen or marketers. There is nothing wrong with not knowing how to do everything or not having the time time do it.
What I have noticed about places that are selling themselves is that they have a target and they go after it. It's a job, just like corporate life. They find out WHO will take notice of WHAT and they contact those people and sell, sell, sell the inn. Is 'organic' big in your area? Do you serve organic? Get it written up in a local rag, submit to all the press release places.
Like the PAII mag article said this month, 'Is the right person doing the right job at your inn?' If you are not a marketer, hire one. (Don't think I'm yelling, I'm really telling myself to do this. I'm terrible at marketing.
wink_smile.gif
)

Oh, I'm sure they ask for the reviews...we do too. And of course the bigger the inn = more guests = more reviews...its a numbers game.
It just seems that only a few of the guests that mention that they are going to write a review ever do.
Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking.

Oh, I'm sure they ask for the reviews...we do too. And of course the bigger the inn = more guests = more reviews...its a numbers game.
It just seems that only a few of the guests that mention that they are going to write a review ever do.
Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking..
Hangfive said:
Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking.
That's the other side of the sword...someone who might just have said, 'It's not so bad we have to write and tell everyone,' and then you come along with a nice request for a review and voila! off they go to write a not so hot review.
I would bet that 90% of the guests who have written reviews for us never would have gone near a review site had we not asked. They still only have 1 review to their names.

Also, I have an aquaintance who also asks for reviews. They're very nice folks, have a nice inn, serve good food, etc. They're not pushy when asking either. Since starting to ask for reviews they have gotten their share of mediocre reviews. Not bad, but not 5 stars either and these reviews lower their TA ranking..
Hangfive said:
That's the other side of the sword...someone who might just have said, 'It's not so bad we have to write and tell everyone,' and then you come along with a nice request for a review and voila! off they go to write a not so hot review.
I would bet that 90% of the guests who have written reviews for us never would have gone near a review site had we not asked. They still only have 1 review to their names.
Morticia said:
Now, see, that's why I don't like the idea of asking for reviews. I know lots of folks have done really well with it and good for them. I don't begrudge them one bit for taking a different approach than I would.
But I also feel a great sense of pride in knowing that every single review that's ever been written about an inn I was managing was an unsolicited review. That's just me, as an innkeeper.
But, for me as a traveler, when I look at TA reviews (and I do), if there are a substantial number of one-hit-wonders in the reviews - especially if they closely follow a bad review - then I figure the reviews are likely rigged.
And I don't stay there. That's me as a traveler.
I'm sure there are an awful lot of TA followers out there who don't do what I do and don't pay such close attention to the reviewers. But likely there are some.

Hangfive said:
Morticia said:
Hangfive said:
We had a business guest here, who really enjoyed his stay and was going to bring his wife along next time. I had early breakfasts for him, cut rates, all the amenties - he was absorbing all the snacks and sodas and walked to restaurants and the biz he was here to visit.
He spoke to me on many occasions about the diff here compared to a hotel. How we offer so much more and he would recommend us...etc This was when we had the BandB.com "little" review cards, so if you wrote teensy tiny you got a couple lines on the card or one line. I gave him one of those cards...following protocol.
His review was how he spoke and actually MEANT something good, but no one else would know this.
"This B&B met my expectations"
I was not happy. In his perspective it was a GREAT REVIEW. Not in mine.
cry_smile.gif

Hangfive said:
Morticia said:
Now, see, that's why I don't like the idea of asking for reviews. I know lots of folks have done really well with it and good for them. I don't begrudge them one bit for taking a different approach than I would.
But I also feel a great sense of pride in knowing that every single review that's ever been written about an inn I was managing was an unsolicited review. That's just me, as an innkeeper.
But, for me as a traveler, when I look at TA reviews (and I do), if there are a substantial number of one-hit-wonders in the reviews - especially if they closely follow a bad review - then I figure the reviews are likely rigged.
I'm sure there are an awful lot of TA followers out there who don't do what I do and don't pay such close attention to the reviewers. But likely there are some.
I2G what is more telling to me is the response of certain innkeepers/managers to a negative review. While I was on my search of late and finally gave up, I found some WHOOOOOOPPERS!
I read them and think, okay whatever falseness is there is compounded by the irritated uptight overly lengthy response. I do not want to be around that person. So the guest said the breakfast was not that great - don't push it around in their face like a dog in its accidental doo doo on the floor!

Hangfive said:
Morticia said:
I2G what is more telling to me is the response of certain innkeepers/managers to a negative review. While I was on my search of late and finally gave up, I found some WHOOOOOOPPERS!
I read them and think, okay whatever falseness is there is compounded by the irritated uptight overly lengthy response. I do not want to be around that person. So the guest said the breakfast was not that great - don't push it around in their face like a dog in its accidental doo doo on the floor!
Oh goodness, don't get me started on the innkeeper responses. They are really one of my pet peeves.
I totally understand the need to vent. That's what friends are for. Go have lunch with your best friend and tell her. But don't tell future guests!
I totally understand the disappointment, anger, shock, resentment, whatever that their work was not appreciated.
But I do not understand that they cannot see that any anger, any resentment, any frustration that is seen by a prospective guest is pure poison for their business. Makes no difference at all whether the reviewer was right or not.
Most of the time, those angry innkeeper responses only prove the point of the negative reviewer. That alone ought to be enough to stop them. But no...

Hangfive said:
Morticia said:
I would love if all my guests were web savvy and wrote reviews as a matter of course. I would love that I SO wowed them they HAD to write a review and tell everyone. IF I held to that wish list I would have 5 reviews. As it is, after 5 years, I have 70 reviews. NOT blowing 'em out of the water, review-wise, here, let me tell you. But they keep coming back and that's the best review!
I just have that kind of guest. They are just not into the whole spilling their guts online thing.

Hangfive said:
Morticia said:
Oh goodness, don't get me started on the innkeeper responses. They are really one of my pet peeves.
I totally understand the need to vent. That's what friends are for. Go have lunch with your best friend and tell her. But don't tell future guests!
I totally understand the disappointment, anger, shock, resentment, whatever that their work was not appreciated.
But I do not understand that they cannot see that any anger, any resentment, any frustration that is seen by a prospective guest is pure poison for their business. Makes no difference at all whether the reviewer was right or not.
Most of the time, those angry innkeeper responses only prove the point of the negative reviewer. That alone ought to be enough to stop them. But no...
Innkeeper To Go said:
....any anger, any resentment, any frustration that is seen by a prospective guest is pure poison for their business. Makes no difference at all whether the reviewer was right or not.
I agree. No number of glowing reviews offsets the one even slightly negative review that brings on a lengthy tirade by the innkeeper....not when I'm looking for a place to stay.

Hangfive said:
So what is your theory on this? I have seen the sickening over the top reviews and wonder as well, to be honest, some of them put me off and I always wonder if the innkeepers are embarrassed by too much gushy ga-ga stuff?
I love the reviews that are complimentary and give info about the place or area. The ones that describe the innkeepers only/mostly always bother me, as a guest I want to know about the inn. But as is evidenced by MOST reviews - it is indeed the innkeepers WHO MAKE THE STAY WORTHWHILE!
Yeah, especially the over-the-top reviews that name the innkeeper and then the reviewer has the same name as the innkeeper!!!
Yes, I have seen that. And worse, I have seen the same inn do it more than once!!!
I especially wonder when ALL OF THE NEW REVIEWS mention the innkeeper by name! It always seems more for job security for the new innkeeper than a real review. Call me a cynic.
When they're one-hit-wonders, I am always suspicious. When they're one-hit-wonders that mention the innkeeper by name, I'm doubly so.

Hangfive said:
Yeah, especially the over-the-top reviews that name the innkeeper and then the reviewer has the same name as the innkeeper!!!
Yes, I have seen that. And worse, I have seen the same inn do it more than once!!!
I especially wonder when ALL OF THE NEW REVIEWS mention the innkeeper by name! It always seems more for job security for the new innkeeper than a real review. Call me a cynic.
When they're one-hit-wonders, I am always suspicious. When they're one-hit-wonders that mention the innkeeper by name, I'm doubly so.
Uh oh. I think most of mine mention us by name. I think that's good, tho. The ones that say 'the hosts' or 'the innkeepers' make me think it's purely generic, they don't even remember where they stayed! I had one where the guests KNOW us, we've been out to dinner TWICE with them and they called us 'the owners'. Huh?

Hangfive said:
Uh oh. I think most of mine mention us by name. I think that's good, tho. The ones that say 'the hosts' or 'the innkeepers' make me think it's purely generic, they don't even remember where they stayed! I had one where the guests KNOW us, we've been out to dinner TWICE with them and they called us 'the owners'. Huh?
I've had several reviews mention me by name, too. So it happens whether we like it or not.
But if there are lots of one-hit-wonders and they are mostly way over the top about the innkeeper, and basically ALL of the reviews mention the innkeeper by name, well, they don't look real. At least to me.

Back