Online reservations and 3rd party credit cards

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I've seen is a lot of parents paying for their adult children to get away. I ask if they want to have a GC sent and they tell me to just charge their card. That's fine because I've spoken with them. (I hope I've actually spoken with them, it could be anyone on the phone.)
The run of cards thru online booking is relatively new. So, our new policy to deal with that is to use the contact info we've been given to inform the guests that they must provide us with a contact phone number and mailing address for the card holder as we need the CVC and the zip code to process the card. We'll see if that scares any of them off. We'll state the reservation is not completed until we have that info.

Really WHY ARE ANY OF US TAKING A THIRD PARTY CC? It is illegal, no? I bet the cc companies would agree we should not be charging anyone's cc without the person themselves giving it to us. Why are we taking payment without speaking to/in writing from the owner of the card?.
I can tell you none of the Vegas hotels I looked at take 3rd party cards. Very clearly stated is that the cardholder MUST be present at time of check-in.
Maybe that's how Mort should state it.

I have done 3rd party credit cards numerous times when ordering on the internet. It's never been a problem. I've made hotel reservations, purchased home items, books and a variety of other items. They do want the card holder's address that is associated with the card.
Has anyone here ever had a 3rd party card end up being a scam or stolen?? I just don't see what the big deal is. Charge the card in full and get on with your day.

What I've seen is a lot of parents paying for their adult children to get away. I ask if they want to have a GC sent and they tell me to just charge their card. That's fine because I've spoken with them. (I hope I've actually spoken with them, it could be anyone on the phone.)
The run of cards thru online booking is relatively new. So, our new policy to deal with that is to use the contact info we've been given to inform the guests that they must provide us with a contact phone number and mailing address for the card holder as we need the CVC and the zip code to process the card. We'll see if that scares any of them off. We'll state the reservation is not completed until we have that info..
Morticia said:
.... That's fine because I've spoken with them. (I hope I've actually spoken with them, it could be anyone on the phone.)
Isn't that true with all your bookings. You have to believe the person you are speaking (or emailing) is the person they claim to be.
There have been several times, one just a month ago, where the female booking said 'my name is Jones but my card still shows Smith' you gotta just follow your gut and if it smells fishy, throw it back.
When purchasing items online it will ask for the name (as it appears) and the billing address of the card holder. This may be an important update to request all the online booking systems to have. I know Webervations asks for the guest address at the beginning but only asks for the name of the cardholder.

we get it a lot as we deal with a lot of businesses (ie office card is used) but we have never had a problem so far..
we get it a lot as we deal with a lot of businesses (ie office card is used) but we have never had a problem so far.
Do they HAVE the cc with them? Or do they expect you to run it by hand?
usually the office rings and books and we charge the card at the time and then post the receipt back to the office. Though sometimes they have the card with them.

I only know of one occasion where when I worked in a big hotel a young man walked in saying he would like a double room and that his mum was paying for it as a treat for him and his girlfriend and he rang the "Mother" who was put on and gave all the details. However it was the girlfriend in a parked car outside and the money was yanked back. but that is only one case in about 8 years. At the Yorkshire we charged cards night and day as they did a lot of specials ie cheap deal if you pay now and if you cancel you loose your money.

No it is not illegal to take 3rd party credit cards and there really is no more proven "risk" to taking a 3rd party card than to anything else
How do you know that the res made for Mr/s Smith with a cc that says Mr/s Smith IS actually Mr/s Smith? UNLESS that card has been reported lost or stolen when you run it through. How do you know that that IS actually Mr/s Smith checking in? Are you doing a background check? So at least when someone TELLS you that it is a 3rd party card they are being upfront and honest!
Lawd I really hope that Inns and hotels don't scrutinize me and "think" I am dishonest before I check in just because other people (that tiny miniscule percentage) are
Honestly HOW many times in how many years out of how many "third party" cards have you EVER had a problem or a chargeback with.???

You know, there is a solution for some of these 3rd party purchases. It's called a gift certificate..
Proud Texan said:
You know, there is a solution for some of these 3rd party purchases. It's called a gift certificate.
But regarding the CC use, does it really make a big difference if the person purchasing IS the cardholder? Really no difference - as far as CC security goes... "I am Jane Doe and I want to book a room using my CC for Mr & Mrs Smith." The only advantage of the GC for the innkeeper is you make a sell no matter if the Smiths actually come or not. But Mrs Doe may not be 100% sure the Smiths are going to be able to come, thus as long as they cancel within the time she is not out the $.
The REAL issue to me is 3rd party use - "I want to book a room for ME, but I want to use Jane Doe's CC." Even if you request Jane's phone # and call to verify approval, how do you know you are really talking to Jane?
No matter what we do we can never be 100% certain that the card is theirs even when they present it to be swiped. We just have to be on our toes and try to smell out a bad seed. Luckily our business industry does not typically attract the bad seeds..

*sigh* Not sure why it always has to come to this...but I'm pushing the button now.

You know, there is a solution for some of these 3rd party purchases. It's called a gift certificate..
Proud Texan said:
You know, there is a solution for some of these 3rd party purchases. It's called a gift certificate.
But regarding the CC use, does it really make a big difference if the person purchasing IS the cardholder? Really no difference - as far as CC security goes... "I am Jane Doe and I want to book a room using my CC for Mr & Mrs Smith." The only advantage of the GC for the innkeeper is you make a sell no matter if the Smiths actually come or not. But Mrs Doe may not be 100% sure the Smiths are going to be able to come, thus as long as they cancel within the time she is not out the $.
The REAL issue to me is 3rd party use - "I want to book a room for ME, but I want to use Jane Doe's CC." Even if you request Jane's phone # and call to verify approval, how do you know you are really talking to Jane?
No matter what we do we can never be 100% certain that the card is theirs even when they present it to be swiped. We just have to be on our toes and try to smell out a bad seed. Luckily our business industry does not typically attract the bad seeds..
In 1995 when I moved the Duchess here from Maryland, I transferred her bank accounts, pensions, ALL her financials via the phone. Only once was I asked if I was Lois and other than hearinganother female voice, there was no way they could know if that really WAS Lois. Funny thing is, I know at least 2 females with voices so deep you think you are talking to a man. They must have a heck of a time!

Really WHY ARE ANY OF US TAKING A THIRD PARTY CC? It is illegal, no? I bet the cc companies would agree we should not be charging anyone's cc without the person themselves giving it to us. Why are we taking payment without speaking to/in writing from the owner of the card?.
I'm not getting this either. What am I missing? The only time I had this happen was when the cardholder booked a room for a guest to be paid for with the cardholder's card. It was a business credit card and I knew the cardholder.
Had a few that held the room with a debit/credit card because I told them that I had to have a credit card to hold the room and they paid with cash for their stay. Most people have a bank debit/credit card even if their credit is not that great.
Of course there's no telling who anyone is unless we demand ID and frisk them on arrival. Good grief...
I guess I was lucky and I was only open for 2 years.

Pretty sure the signature on the card is the same signature we are supposed to be getting. That's why we ask for it...sign on the dotted line. Compare siggies to the back of the card.
Pretty sure the word "cardholder" is not meant to be "family member"

Back