Online Travelers spend more

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest.
Internet Travel Monitor - Marketing & Research
August 12, 2009
Travelers Who Decide and Buy Online Spend More – Way More
To Increase Visitor Spend, Destination Marketers Must Engage Travelers Online
Across the Entire Planning & Booking Process

SHERMAN, CT – Visitor arrival numbers are a key measure of DMO success, but so too are tourism receipts. Increasing visitor share is important, but so too is increasing spend. PhoCusWright’s research reveals that consumers who begin and end their travel shopping exclusively online have a significantly higher average annual travel spend than offline shoppers. In fact, travelers who select their destination online and book online spend on average almost twice as much as travelers who do some of those activities offline.

3096.gif

Destination marketers - and the local travel providers that they serve - will benefit from a tactful migration from traditional communication to a comprehensive Web approach.

To me it means sell those packages and add ons while they are booking online!!

To me it means sell those packages and add ons while they are booking online!!.
Joe Bloggs said:
And how does one do that effectively? I have "special add-ons" on my website and they are listed on my Webervations page.
I seldom get a nibble. Depending on the guest's reason for travel, I'll push an in-room massage or flowers. Most of the time, they're just looking for a bargin.

Joe Bloggs said:
And how does one do that effectively? I have "special add-ons" on my website and they are listed on my Webervations page.
I seldom get a nibble. Depending on the guest's reason for travel, I'll push an in-room massage or flowers. Most of the time, they're just looking for a bargin.
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I seem to be getting plenty of FLOWER add ons of late, but they are almost all one night stays. UGH. I have more people asking about in room massage the past two months than the entire time being here. Of course we don't have that or offer it here.

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I seem to be getting plenty of FLOWER add ons of late, but they are almost all one night stays. UGH. I have more people asking about in room massage the past two months than the entire time being here. Of course we don't have that or offer it here.
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
How do you promote your flowers? What I'm I doing wrong?

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I just had a look at the website, and see the add ons when you book. Have you tried moving them around, flowers the first on the list which are less expensive than the massage?
The terminology on the guest services and flowers page might be confusing - the word SEND might make them think they are ordering them for elsewhere. I know it would not make sense, I know you can read on and it makes total sense, but rule #1 people don't read. The more you put there the less they read.
But that one word caught me off guard as well.

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I just had a look at the website, and see the add ons when you book. Have you tried moving them around, flowers the first on the list which are less expensive than the massage?
The terminology on the guest services and flowers page might be confusing - the word SEND might make them think they are ordering them for elsewhere. I know it would not make sense, I know you can read on and it makes total sense, but rule #1 people don't read. The more you put there the less they read.
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
thanks. I'll take a look at it. But your right. People don't read. That's why I also verbally ask when they book over the phone. I also mention it in the reservation confirmation.

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
thanks. I'll take a look at it. But your right. People don't read. That's why I also verbally ask when they book over the phone. I also mention it in the reservation confirmation.
Edited to add: I've changed the wording to "Give Flowers." We'll see what happens.

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Do you have photos showing the add ons? Sometimes they need to see what they're getting. And a little write up about why they might want to add that on? Sometimes you have to knock them upside the head to realize why yes, my wife is having a birthday while we're on vacation, how nice to have flowers waiting for her. Who books most of your stays, him or her? Write the add ons to appeal to that person.

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Do you have photos showing the add ons? Sometimes they need to see what they're getting. And a little write up about why they might want to add that on? Sometimes you have to knock them upside the head to realize why yes, my wife is having a birthday while we're on vacation, how nice to have flowers waiting for her. Who books most of your stays, him or her? Write the add ons to appeal to that person.
MooseTrax said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
yep, I have pictures http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/services.htm

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
MooseTrax said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
yep, I have pictures http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/services.htm
How about photos of the flowers in situ? Arranged in the cabin, in front of the fireplace if you have that. Rather than a vase of "florist flowers". Engage the senses of the person buying the flowers. Say how fragrant they are and how they will show you were thinking of your love. "Imagine her surprise to open the door to your romantic hideaway cabin and there is a fragrant vase of seasonal flowers to show her you know what she desires." No, don't use that, I'm going to.
wink_smile.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe! You have a great close up picture on your website now of a flower bouquet. It really catches my eye. Maybe that is it?

Unfortunately, they're not spending it here!
cry_smile.gif
Not spending it here, either...apparently the trend is to pack 7 human beings in a room.
Samster said:
Not spending it here, either...apparently the trend is to pack 7 human beings in a room.
I really don't get it. If they can't afford it, why don't they just go to a motel? If they want the B&B experience, then they're going to have to pay for it.

cry_smile.gif
Samster said:
I really don't get it. If they can't afford it, why don't they just go to a motel? If they want the B&B experience, then they're going to have to pay for it.
Well, not only that but how much of a "B&B experience" do you get with a couple of kids, your mother-in-law, and your sister & brother-in-law in adjoining rooms? I'm just sayin'......

cry_smile.gif
Samster said:
Well, not only that but how much of a "B&B experience" do you get with a couple of kids, your mother-in-law, and your sister & brother-in-law in adjoining rooms? I'm just sayin'......
Samster said:
That's what some people call a romantic weekend.
lol-053.gif

cry_smile.gif
Samster said:
Samster said:
lol-053.gif

Proud Texan said:
Samster said:
lol-053.gif
I was going to make a joke about a family reunion...and it did NOT involve WV! I was going to say Alabama...
smileystooges.gif

Back