Open Houses

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vkblondie

Reaction score
Afternoon Everyone!!
First thank you all for your advice about getting out to the local business's. I am still working on it, but I will get to them all.
Question:
I have decided to schedule my open house on March 21st, piggy backing on a big weekend up hear called "Maple Sugar Weekend."
Other than possible discounts for those that want to book for the full weekend, what DOES a B & B do for an open house? LOL..I am sure to most of you are laughing at that question, but seriously? Tea? Coffee? cookies to people who want to walk in?
I know about the marketing part, Newspaper/social media, but anything else?
I need to get a jump start on it by Feb 1st.
Valerie

I did coffee/tea and muffins, cookies as refreshments (show off what YOU do/serve). I have done several over the years - with some, I charged $1 at the door with the money (ALL) going to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank, a big close to everyone's heart fund here in town).
Since this is a Maple weekend, feature things made with maple syrup. Maple muffins, maple granola (get little dixie cups or serving dishes), whatever maple you can do. I make a maple venison sausage. Just do a goo on recipies using maple syrup or maple sugar and go from there.

I did coffee/tea and muffins, cookies as refreshments (show off what YOU do/serve). I have done several over the years - with some, I charged $1 at the door with the money (ALL) going to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank, a big close to everyone's heart fund here in town).
Since this is a Maple weekend, feature things made with maple syrup. Maple muffins, maple granola (get little dixie cups or serving dishes), whatever maple you can do. I make a maple venison sausage. Just do a goo on recipies using maple syrup or maple sugar and go from there..
gillumhouse said:
Since this is a Maple weekend, feature things made with maple syrup. Maple muffins, maple granola (get little dixie cups or serving dishes), whatever maple you can do. I make a maple venison sausage. Just do a goo on recipies using maple syrup or maple sugar and go from there.
What she said! - other ideas...Maple Sugar cookies, hot cocoa with maple syrup, maple caramels/candies (some of our local sugar shacks make these and sell them to us wholesale)

Odd, I thought this was always the last Sunday in March. Hmmm.
But, yes, make lots of nibbles with maple. If you have time, write up the recipes on your website and hand out cards with the info where to find the recipes.
One step further - find a photo of a brilliant maple tree and make it into a postcard with all your info and the info about the recipes. Better still if that tree is in your yard!
Another option - I work with a maple sugar shack and I sell their syrup. I can buy those small maple leaf shaped bottles of syrup for about $2. I give them away.
How to get it out there what you are doing - list it as an event on the state website. Try to work in the whole bicentennial thing if you can! Check the state maple syrup producers page to see if there are opportunities on there for working together.
Who in your town does syrup? See if you can work on something with them.

Sugar on snow party?

But, yes, make lots of nibbles with maple. If you have time, write up the recipes on your website and hand out cards with the info where to find the recipes.
One step further - find a photo of a brilliant maple tree and make it into a postcard with all your info and the info about the recipes. Better still if that tree is in your yard!
Another option - I work with a maple sugar shack and I sell their syrup. I can buy those small maple leaf shaped bottles of syrup for about $2. I give them away.
How to get it out there what you are doing - list it as an event on the state website. Try to work in the whole bicentennial thing if you can! Check the state maple syrup producers page to see if there are opportunities on there for working together.

Sugar on snow party?.
I am actually working with a Maple Syrup Company. Hidden Roots is one of three just in Limerick. I am also going to be working with a Lavender Company who opens back up for business on the same weekend. I will be selling small items from both companies here in my Inn and then pushing them to both companies if they want to see more items.
Neither company has a web page currently and I am waiting for Hidden Roots to send me a logo to put on my page, i will do the same for Stone's Throw Lavender and any other local business that wants to work with me.
Since I took ownership in the Cold Weather and now everything is sleeping and brown, I won't be able to go out to my yard and take any photo's.
But still not sure what I am doing for a Grand Opening...?? Just put a sign out? Has any other B & B done a Grand Opening? or RE-Opening I guess is more like it.

Since this is a Maple weekend, feature things made with maple syrup. Maple muffins, maple granola (get little dixie cups or serving dishes), whatever maple you can do. I make a maple venison sausage. Just do a goo on recipies using maple syrup or maple sugar and go from there..
Love the maple Granola idea

Sugar on snow party?.
I am actually working with a Maple Syrup Company. Hidden Roots is one of three just in Limerick. I am also going to be working with a Lavender Company who opens back up for business on the same weekend. I will be selling small items from both companies here in my Inn and then pushing them to both companies if they want to see more items.
Neither company has a web page currently and I am waiting for Hidden Roots to send me a logo to put on my page, i will do the same for Stone's Throw Lavender and any other local business that wants to work with me.
Since I took ownership in the Cold Weather and now everything is sleeping and brown, I won't be able to go out to my yard and take any photo's.
But still not sure what I am doing for a Grand Opening...?? Just put a sign out? Has any other B & B done a Grand Opening? or RE-Opening I guess is more like it.
Do a Press Release in your local paper. Postit on your webpage, on your FB page, Instagram,Twittter. Make up a flyer (we can post things at the town Library and on the bulletin board at the grocery) AND ask the powers that be with the Maple Festival if they will list you on their promo pages. Ask the maple business and the lavender business to share costs with you to put together a flyer & make it a grand opening for all 3 with a map from you to them. It should not cost a lot to get printed by Vistaprint or even Staples or QuickPrint.
NEVER leave the house without flyers AND business cards in your purse/pocket. IF you have a Chamber of Commerce or a CVB get them to help you with publicity - THAT is what they exist for (some do it better than others).

Sugar on snow party?.
Like G said - get in touch with the local paper (maybe stretch into the next state over) and explain why yours is a feel good story. You have to tell them why, they won’t know on their own. If you have a Chamber, invite them. (Be prepared to join to get them to show up.)
If your town has an ‘economic development’ department ask them to drop in.
Make sure you are allowed temporary signage and then put out a sign! You want to catch passersby. Make sure it does not look like a real estate open house sign.

I love the maple tie in
what I did was set up two huge tables in dining area that had views out to the harbor with samples saying Breakfasts and Snacks We Offer .... little tent cards with pictures and then some guest snack favorites cut into sample sizes they could take ...
Blueberry muffins
Banana Bread
Blueberry Pie (messy but popular)
loads of coffee from my big old fashioned coffee makers with spouts
Coupons ‘toward your next stay with us’ I offered these to guests as well. people took them and actually redeemed a couple (one per visit). I put numbers on them to track.
I had one guest room open for viewing and paid a chambermaid to bring people up to and down from the top floor cupola so they could look out at the harbor.
Good luck!

I love the maple tie in
what I did was set up two huge tables in dining area that had views out to the harbor with samples saying Breakfasts and Snacks We Offer .... little tent cards with pictures and then some guest snack favorites cut into sample sizes they could take ...
Blueberry muffins
Banana Bread
Blueberry Pie (messy but popular)
loads of coffee from my big old fashioned coffee makers with spouts
Coupons ‘toward your next stay with us’ I offered these to guests as well. people took them and actually redeemed a couple (one per visit). I put numbers on them to track.
I had one guest room open for viewing and paid a chambermaid to bring people up to and down from the top floor cupola so they could look out at the harbor.
Good luck!.
I love these idea's thank you

Sugar on snow party?.
Like G said - get in touch with the local paper (maybe stretch into the next state over) and explain why yours is a feel good story. You have to tell them why, they won’t know on their own. If you have a Chamber, invite them. (Be prepared to join to get them to show up.)
If your town has an ‘economic development’ department ask them to drop in.
Make sure you are allowed temporary signage and then put out a sign! You want to catch passersby. Make sure it does not look like a real estate open house sign.
thank you I will make sure I can put up temporary signage, I actually had a small banner made that I am thinking of putting out front that says Grand Re-Opening on it.

We did an open house when we first moved in to our new BnB and offered samples of our breakfast items, especially the specialty recipes. We invited all of the local business owners to stop by.

Back