open or not? Work on web site .

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
Ok here goes. I am not sure about this year? In Jan. we were sitting in AZ. Just was there 24 hours hoping to stay a month. But then DH had an accident and broke his ankle badly . Insurance flew him home for surgery. To make a long story short they found out he has AF. so they zapped his heart a few weeks ago to try and put him in correct beat.
Now it is in our B&B season and he cannot do stairs yet or walk on crutches yet . No weight bearing .We live in a 5 level house need to be able to walk up and down stairs with trays. . Not able to find help. So next month we are taking our first guest for 6 days to see if I can do all . If not we are looking at closing or maybe putting off taking guest till June and then look at it again.
In the mean time we are looking at doing things to help our web site and face book and trying to learn about google plus. Also changing content on web site. Dropping some stuff and adding more pages.
We are working on a slide show to put into our site. We have it down to 3 mins . Think that is to long? yes! Should it be 2 min. at the most? Also should it have music in the back ground? The one we had done by a company 3 years ago had music. Now a days I am just not sure what way to go? Can you please advise what would be best?
We also have come up with a go green page to add and would like to add a recipe page high lighting a few favs. we do . Comes the next question do people really go to a recipe pages on your sites. Or should we just leave that page out?

No one will sit thru a 2 minute slide show. Whatever you decide to do about the length no music. People are on websites at work and unexpected music freaks them out.
Yes, add the recipes. Make sure those pages have good seo so people find your site while looking for that recipe.
So sorry about your hubby. Take care of yourselves. Keep looking for help.
It's good to use your unavoidable down time to good purpose.

Wow! So sorry. We never know in life. Things are great today, and the world crashes tomorrow. I hope you get things worked out so it all comes out well.
Regarding the slide show and music, I echo what Morticia says.

perhaps install a stair chairs in several of the more used/longer stairways? Might also help you with guests who have problems with stairs. I suspect 5 levels might cry out for this anyway.
You might be able to use the ADA tax credit (pays half of up to $10K towards legitimate ADA remedies), which is available each year.
I think it will solve some of your problems and make you more appealing/competitive.
ADA.gov/taxcred.htm

Flower, how many rooms do you have? You would be surprised what one is capable of. When we first bought in 2005, we could not sell our home, so Poppa had to stay in Maryland with his job to pay that mortgage. I moved here alone with our ferocious 18 pound ShihTzu (and never worried about stranger danger). Poppa would fly here during the busy tourist season weekends, but I was on my own for 14 months until our house finally sold. That meant me doing EVERYTHING for six rooms when he wasn't here. It was exhausting, but I knew that there would eventually be light at the end of the tunnel. Can DH at least help with check-in and check-out? Answering the phone, taking reservations? Paperwork? Marketing? Interacting with guests? Prep for cooking? Ironing? You can also block off rooms, if at anytime it seems more that you can handle.

Flower, so sorry to be reading about your hubby.
As Momma S. mentioned, maybe you can cut back a little to make it more manageable for you to get the job done on your own.
Reduce number of rooms your rent or number of days....
{{hugs}} - we are thinking about you both

I am very sorry to hear about all of this, and I am thankful he is okay. The burden does fall on you, so I would do what you can do to manage. If that means open only on weekends, so you have them all in one shot, vs 1 or 2 rooms daily that can drain you will zero down time, I would do that.
As for the website, if you really want help, advice, feedback you will have to share your website with us. You can do so online here or off line to just a few trusted innmates (recommended) who may provide some immediate comments that could save you a ton of work and spinning your wheels.
Hang in there, and thank you for sharing your life with us Flower.
heart.gif

Background: I just got in from a long hour walk with my Dad who had a similar heart issue, and then some.
He has a fib implant and is doing great.
I explained to him the benefits of cottage cheese for taking his meds which make him ill, as it works great for him who doesn't eat between meals, and has to take pills daily whether he wants to or not. It has a protein called casein, which your body digests at a slower rate than other types of protein, so it is a time-release type of food. Body builders have used it for years, and I think it will help dad with his queasiness from meds. (just wanted ot mention this as many people aren't aware of it).
Besides it is also a good source of various minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, zinc, and selenium which all play vital roles in many of the body functions.

Hope everything works out with DH and all.
Would the slide show be presented as a video? somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes might be OK **IF** there is good, varied information being presented, in which case you probably want either relevant music and/or narration. Shorter (less than 2 minutes) is better so long as it still effectively conveys the message you are trying to get across.
Assuming that this is not the main thing on your home page and is something that people would have to click on to activate (thus no surprise music, etc...)
Consider whether an automated slideshow / video is the best way to get the particular message across; would a user-controlled slideshow be a better experience for the viewer?

Extremely sorry to hear about Hubs and his problems. THAT in itself is draining on YOU also - I speak from the land of experience as you know from past years. We have been doing another round of one thing or another since December. And my knees screamed at me at the thought of 5 levels. No knowing your layout, are just some of your rooms at the top level and able to be blocked off to help you for now?
Re you web site: YES to the Recipe page. Make it easy to find - a button of its own. I get many hits on my site for recipes. PLUS it it so nice when asked for a recipe to say - just go to my web site, it is there. It is rare that I have to add a particular recipe. It happens when I introduce a new recipe more than anything since after all these years, most of the ones I use are there already.
Best to you. You are in our prayers.

perhaps install a stair chairs in several of the more used/longer stairways? Might also help you with guests who have problems with stairs. I suspect 5 levels might cry out for this anyway.
You might be able to use the ADA tax credit (pays half of up to $10K towards legitimate ADA remedies), which is available each year.
I think it will solve some of your problems and make you more appealing/competitive.
ADA.gov/taxcred.htm.
IF you listened to the sound of any voice other than your own, you would know Flower in NOT in the USA so that tax credit will not help her. $$$ must be paid up front regardless and if a staircase is not wide, a chair lift will be a blockage, not a help.

Sorry to hear this. Hope things improve soon. Maybe you should cut back and see how it goes.
as for slide show on your website. My first impression..a big NO! People will not watch a slide show. I guess like others said, I would need to see your site before I make further suggestions.
If you can't handle things by yourself and have no help, then maybe cutting back on what you have and not adding things like this is a good idea for now.

Flower what sort of video is it?
A slideshow with voice over or music? A moving video? I think that makes a difference. If it is a song you can't have a 1 minute song typically, even with fade out. I made one and put on the blog and elsewhere if you know who and where I am you can have a watch of it. Not everyone's cup of tea, I don't think most videos are...as long as it is inviting and fun, not dreary (i just watched one that was horribly dreary that is why I say that).
I made it on animoto, but lost the clarity once loaded to youtube.

ADA.gov/taxcred.htm.
IF you listened to the sound of any voice other than your own, you would know Flower in NOT in the USA so that tax credit will not help her. $$$ must be paid up front regardless and if a staircase is not wide, a chair lift will be a blockage, not a help.
If u stopped being an angry self appointed forum censor and deciding others should be omniscient about where every one else is, you might come across as a lot less bitter.
Seriously, put me on ignore. It is hard to believe you go to church.

Flower what sort of video is it?
A slideshow with voice over or music? A moving video? I think that makes a difference. If it is a song you can't have a 1 minute song typically, even with fade out. I made one and put on the blog and elsewhere if you know who and where I am you can have a watch of it. Not everyone's cup of tea, I don't think most videos are...as long as it is inviting and fun, not dreary (i just watched one that was horribly dreary that is why I say that).
I made it on animoto, but lost the clarity once loaded to youtube..
To answerer some of your helpful questions. We did a slide show on our photo shop . with music in the back ground. At this time we don't have too much fading out hubby wants to change some of that. At this point we think we can just load it on our web site without going you tube???? We are also thinking of just adding what things they can do while here. As our web site has so many different pictures on it all ready of just the B&B. At least 20 to 30 pictures

Sorry to hear this. Hope things improve soon. Maybe you should cut back and see how it goes.
as for slide show on your website. My first impression..a big NO! People will not watch a slide show. I guess like others said, I would need to see your site before I make further suggestions.
If you can't handle things by yourself and have no help, then maybe cutting back on what you have and not adding things like this is a good idea for now..
We are cutting back. at this point we are only doing one suite which is 450 squ feet . at the bottom level. which for us to get there we must go down 38 stairs to their rooms. There is is a semie self catering . I make most of the breakfast . And all they do is put it in the appliance to cook it. I give them a choice of 5 menus to choose from. We have our first guest in may for 6 days. Just testing the water to see if I can handle all.
Next why a big no to put slide show on web site and face book ? Thank you also for the help I appreciate every ones ideas as that is the only way one grows.

Extremely sorry to hear about Hubs and his problems. THAT in itself is draining on YOU also - I speak from the land of experience as you know from past years. We have been doing another round of one thing or another since December. And my knees screamed at me at the thought of 5 levels. No knowing your layout, are just some of your rooms at the top level and able to be blocked off to help you for now?
Re you web site: YES to the Recipe page. Make it easy to find - a button of its own. I get many hits on my site for recipes. PLUS it it so nice when asked for a recipe to say - just go to my web site, it is there. It is rare that I have to add a particular recipe. It happens when I introduce a new recipe more than anything since after all these years, most of the ones I use are there already.
Best to you. You are in our prayers..
Yes K my knees are screaming also. Also my back. But I just feel I can't give in YET! Our lay out is a 5 level house a split level at any level we have a minimum of 6 stairs no matter where we go. Our Suites are a level and a half below us. So in one suite we have a12 stairs to go down with trays for each coarse to deliver. the next level is 38 stairs to go to the out side of our house to deliver breakfast . which is a semi- self breakfast with many choices to choose from. Yes K I Understand your problem well. I look up to you in how you handle yourself. My hat is off to you.
heart.gif

Yes my recipe page will have its own button. Do you think for each recipe I should have a picture of each thing cooked or would just the recipe be enough most times ? Thank you

Hope everything works out with DH and all.
Would the slide show be presented as a video? somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes might be OK **IF** there is good, varied information being presented, in which case you probably want either relevant music and/or narration. Shorter (less than 2 minutes) is better so long as it still effectively conveys the message you are trying to get across.
Assuming that this is not the main thing on your home page and is something that people would have to click on to activate (thus no surprise music, etc...)
Consider whether an automated slideshow / video is the best way to get the particular message across; would a user-controlled slideshow be a better experience for the viewer?.
We only want to do a slide show tho most people seem to do slide show as a video ? Yes people would have to click on it to activate it. maybe on our photo page not sure yet? At this point I don't think it will be a user controlled, all they will be able to do is make it smaller to view or a larger screen. Good in put Thanks Harborfields.

I am very sorry to hear about all of this, and I am thankful he is okay. The burden does fall on you, so I would do what you can do to manage. If that means open only on weekends, so you have them all in one shot, vs 1 or 2 rooms daily that can drain you will zero down time, I would do that.
As for the website, if you really want help, advice, feedback you will have to share your website with us. You can do so online here or off line to just a few trusted innmates (recommended) who may provide some immediate comments that could save you a ton of work and spinning your wheels.
Hang in there, and thank you for sharing your life with us Flower.
heart.gif

Background: I just got in from a long hour walk with my Dad who had a similar heart issue, and then some.
He has a fib implant and is doing great.
I explained to him the benefits of cottage cheese for taking his meds which make him ill, as it works great for him who doesn't eat between meals, and has to take pills daily whether he wants to or not. It has a protein called casein, which your body digests at a slower rate than other types of protein, so it is a time-release type of food. Body builders have used it for years, and I think it will help dad with his queasiness from meds. (just wanted ot mention this as many people aren't aware of it).
Besides it is also a good source of various minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, zinc, and selenium which all play vital roles in many of the body functions..
Thank you for sharing also. Every bit of information is very help full. Life is one big bowl of cherries LOL we even grow cherries here in our yard big bing nice and juicy.

Best to you. You are in our prayers..
Yes K my knees are screaming also. Also my back. But I just feel I can't give in YET! Our lay out is a 5 level house a split level at any level we have a minimum of 6 stairs no matter where we go. Our Suites are a level and a half below us. So in one suite we have a12 stairs to go down with trays for each coarse to deliver. the next level is 38 stairs to go to the out side of our house to deliver breakfast . which is a semi- self breakfast with many choices to choose from. Yes K I Understand your problem well. I look up to you in how you handle yourself. My hat is off to you.
heart.gif

Yes my recipe page will have its own button. Do you think for each recipe I should have a picture of each thing cooked or would just the recipe be enough most times ? Thank you
Flower said:
I am in the process of adding a photo to the recipes if I have them mow and as I make it this season and remember to take photos. So far - only the English Muffin Bread has a photo. I do have photos of a few more and will add them soon.

Flower, how many rooms do you have? You would be surprised what one is capable of. When we first bought in 2005, we could not sell our home, so Poppa had to stay in Maryland with his job to pay that mortgage. I moved here alone with our ferocious 18 pound ShihTzu (and never worried about stranger danger). Poppa would fly here during the busy tourist season weekends, but I was on my own for 14 months until our house finally sold. That meant me doing EVERYTHING for six rooms when he wasn't here. It was exhausting, but I knew that there would eventually be light at the end of the tunnel. Can DH at least help with check-in and check-out? Answering the phone, taking reservations? Paperwork? Marketing? Interacting with guests? Prep for cooking? Ironing? You can also block off rooms, if at anytime it seems more that you can handle..
Oh he can take care of a few things for sure. Answering phone taking reservations paper work OH Yea!. checking people in no not at this point as he cannot bare weight on foot as of yet> Prep for cooking NOPE! Ironing not good as he won't be able to stand up long. I am thinking to that maybe in June we will know better how it will go. Yes I will miss income . But some things need to be resolved first.
Of coarse I am worried but hopeful at the same time. I am going to give it a go first to see IF I can do what is needed. Thank you for up lifting thoughts, some things I did not think of. It has been really crazy here but so far we are all alive and doing ok. And yes I am thank full so thank full.
Today we found out his heart is working good and so far his beats are in normal rhythm. So 200 jewels jolt have worked in bring his rhythm back. Halleluiah! Today we are a live and very thankful. We will keep busy fixing web site and slide show and pages on site to work on. Thank you ALL for the help given and for your thoughts. Tomorrow is another day.! And yes there will be more questions for sure. Thank You ALL.
lightbulb.gif

Back