Open seating...please hold my hand

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We have gone to open seating (from 8am to 9am) for breakfast. I have not done this for the last 10+ years, please hold my hand!
I am already thinking, what the! I have to clean so many more pots and pans in between...I have to be cognizant of people coming and going...more tuned in. Obv less chatty as I am cooking all the time, vs prepping, cooking, serving all at once. I know this is what the guests want, I do, I would want this, but it has been a logistics issue here. So...can I pull it off? I don't know. I may end up being much easier for me in the long run.
This is a new change for 2014, we will see how it goes.

Joey, YOU can do anything! Within a week or less it will be a rhythm and will just happen. I have no doubt that you will pull it off totally successfully.
Consider yourself "hand-held".

but but...I aint got no rhythm.
shades_smile.gif

I'm not so sure it's the right thing unless you have a little help from your 'assistants'. Try it for awhile and if you're just completely exhausted after breakfast, then wait to implement it until you get a little more help.
You're right, guests like the flexibility. But don't wear yourself out!

I'm not so sure it's the right thing unless you have a little help from your 'assistants'. Try it for awhile and if you're just completely exhausted after breakfast, then wait to implement it until you get a little more help.
You're right, guests like the flexibility. But don't wear yourself out!.
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks, I will see how it goes...I cannot guarantee any assistants. This is why I am actually trying it, thinking it may be less stressful if they come two by two vs a whole tableful. We shall see!

You're right, guests like the flexibility. But don't wear yourself out!.
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks, I will see how it goes...I cannot guarantee any assistants. This is why I am actually trying it, thinking it may be less stressful if they come two by two vs a whole tableful. We shall see!
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
HA! You know the rule of innkeeping! All at once, or nothing! LOL

The curse of Maddie...
So people come eat, and sit and when the next couple comes in, they sit and chat, and so on and so on...
Here I thought they would eat and get up and leave. :) As long as they are having a good time, that is all that counts, and they are.

The curse of Maddie...
So people come eat, and sit and when the next couple comes in, they sit and chat, and so on and so on...
Here I thought they would eat and get up and leave. :) As long as they are having a good time, that is all that counts, and they are..
we had this especially badly this morning despite while stood next to them - I said to incoming guests "I am sorry but all the tables are full could you wait in the lounge and I will come and get you as soon as a table comes free" they still sat, really I should have said to them please can you move up to the lounge as others are sat waiting

I had open seating from 8 to 10. I worked alone, eight rooms. If we were full to capacity with extra beds in place that's 21 people. Usually it was 14. You CAN totally do this.
The trick for me was to learn (finally) that people were content to sit and read the paper and look out the windows at the harbor and drink coffee and wait.
I always felt like they were waiting forever and I was trying to hurry ... until they started saying - so quick! They could see I was alone and I would tell them I was working alone - it usually went along just fine.
MOST of the meal was ready to serve and all cooked when they started coming into the kitchen - quiche, sausage, bacon (cooked slow in the oven and kept warm) I had two waffle makers for waffle day, the whipped cream was whipped and in the fridge, the fruit was ready, etc. I had a really big electric griddle for the pancakes. If it was eggs - fried or scrambled, I could do those up without much effort. But I did the more individualized breakfasts on days when I had fewer guests. Except waffles were so popular and sought after!
I had two toasters set out for egg day - they were to make their own toast which they quite enjoyed.
They helped themselves to coffee and tea.
There was the occasional snafu or drama caused by a complainer or a diva, but mostly it was okay.
I will say this ... Cleanup was a b*@^#h and I'm not kidding. But you all know that!
(hugz)

We have a max of 6 people, and a table for 6 so we serve a hot entree at a set time. Guests can seat them selves and help themselves to everything else from 8:00-9:30 but the hot entree comes out in a timely fashion for those who seat themselves at 8:30. It is served once, fresh and hot from the oven. The dining room is closed at 9:30 for clean up. We get a few grumbles every season but stick to the method that works best for most folks and us.

Are you having them sign up for a time when they select their breakfast? If so, hopefully it will go pretty well for you. I found that it really wasn't a problem except for the early birds.
wink_smile.gif

We do this, but we ask what time they would like their breakfast served. We can have up to 10 people and each room/group pick their time. It works well for us unless they are on manana time, but that is just where we live. I like it, and it is the only way it would work in this culture.
:)

Are you having them sign up for a time when they select their breakfast? If so, hopefully it will go pretty well for you. I found that it really wasn't a problem except for the early birds.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Nope. That is what we me were getting away from, having it scheduled, and making guests feel like they had a set time. Trying to get away from...

We do this, but we ask what time they would like their breakfast served. We can have up to 10 people and each room/group pick their time. It works well for us unless they are on manana time, but that is just where we live. I like it, and it is the only way it would work in this culture.
:).
Cathy said:
Then that is not an open seating.
Open seating meaning show up any time, it's open. I will keep on and see how it goes for the next month. Can't hurt, right? :) We have missed you Cathy, hope you are doing well!
Congrats on the TA Award! You have both worked hard for that, well done.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

:).
Cathy said:
Then that is not an open seating.
Open seating meaning show up any time, it's open. I will keep on and see how it goes for the next month. Can't hurt, right? :) We have missed you Cathy, hope you are doing well!
Congrats on the TA Award! You have both worked hard for that, well done.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Aahhh that is true. Sorry didn't "understand" open seating. ooops.
Thank you, we are doing well, and the good news is that we are working. I am going to try and return more often, I have thought about you all often. :)
(Do I know you outside of here? Thanks for knowing about our award.)

Joey Bloggs said:
We have gone to open seating (from 8am to 9am) for breakfast. I have not done this for the last 10+ years, please hold my hand!
I am already thinking, what the! I have to clean so many more pots and pans in between...I have to be cognizant of people coming and going...more tuned in. Obv less chatty as I am cooking all the time, vs prepping, cooking, serving all at once. I know this is what the guests want, I do, I would want this, but it has been a logistics issue here. So...can I pull it off? I don't know. I may end up being much easier for me in the long run.
This is a new change for 2014, we will see how it goes.
I'm surprised at the timing. Only 8 - 9? Half our guests don't even wake up until after 9. Do you wait for them if they don't make it?

Back