Open Street Map.org

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
just was listening to Science Friday and they were discussing this open source map site. very interesting. you can sign up and help input and edit sites. very cool if you have not seen it...trying to do more than G maps.

Did they give a link?.
the title of my post...with no spaces
embaressed_smile.gif

I corrected a lot of places they had mislocated in my downtown area. They showed the post office where it used to be...30 years ago! And of course added my place and all the shopping and museums and such.
I hope this becomes popular. Google Maps has the same places mislocated. I've sent them corrections but they rarely get taken care of. Much better to be able to do it myself!

I corrected a lot of places they had mislocated in my downtown area. They showed the post office where it used to be...30 years ago! And of course added my place and all the shopping and museums and such.
I hope this becomes popular. Google Maps has the same places mislocated. I've sent them corrections but they rarely get taken care of. Much better to be able to do it myself!.
Back when Google maps was essentially open source one of our competitors moved his inn closer to the downtown area.
I'd expect that sort of thing to happen with this as well.
It took years to get my place where it belonged. When the local chocolate shop moved into a new location all of a sudden Google thought I moved, too because their address is 'South Green St' and mine is simply 'Green St.' Same #. So, of course my biz, having been here for 25 years must not know the correct address.
I've also been relocated to the harbor. I wish.

I hope this becomes popular. Google Maps has the same places mislocated. I've sent them corrections but they rarely get taken care of. Much better to be able to do it myself!.
Back when Google maps was essentially open source one of our competitors moved his inn closer to the downtown area.
It took years to get my place where it belonged. When the local chocolate shop moved into a new location all of a sudden Google thought I moved, too because their address is 'South Green St' and mine is simply 'Green St.' Same #. So, of course my biz, having been here for 25 years must not know the correct address.
Morticia said:
Then I guess you can go in and move them way out in the country! Anybody can do whatever they want. It seems to save who makes what changes, so perhaps there's a way to get people banned if you complain. But then they'd come back under a different username.
Sneaky, but clever, to move your inn closer to downtown. Until guests find out they've been mislead and burn you in reviews.

Morticia said:
Then I guess you can go in and move them way out in the country! Anybody can do whatever they want. It seems to save who makes what changes, so perhaps there's a way to get people banned if you complain. But then they'd come back under a different username.
Sneaky, but clever, to move your inn closer to downtown. Until guests find out they've been mislead and burn you in reviews.
The worse problem would be people who move stuff around maliciously. Like if I had moved that other inn out into the sticks. Or onto the dump road.
If the mapping people have good help they can block bad user IP addresses. But Google ran out of help for free stuff pretty quickly.
Look at the issues Wikipedia has with facts being changed, sometimes dozens of times in an hour. Non facts (aka lies) also get changed.

Funny, Google seems to do my fixes quickly. Maybe because I have given them so many over the years? I once had an email discussion with one of their programmers over how it was miscalculating street directions. They couldn't fix it immediately because it was a big fix, but they did eventually. (We have a highway that becomes a city street at the end.)

Back