Opinions on how this problem should be resolved

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
No need for welcomes innmates, this ain't my first rodeo.
During check-in a guest questioned our policies by stating that he had never encountered this at any place he had ever stayed and thought the policy was wrong. Guest continued to state that the policy was wrong and should be changed immediately if not sooner. Guest would have liked if a time machine were on premises to teleport back 10 minutes while we chaged the policy to suit him. Person doing check-in tried to explain policy and guest continued to state it was wrong and should be changed. When guest was told that was not going to happen guest then stated that the policy should be clearly stated so guest would know before arrival about such an absurd policy.
Policy is clearly stated on website. Clearly stated in policies guest must check that they have read when making online reservation. Clearly stated in confirmation guest receives.
At this point the actual policy is probably irrelevant to the discussion. The discussion hangs on what the innkeepers should do in the morning if the guest continues this line of beligerance as guest was already invited to leave at check-in. I will hasten to say that event occurred in a show of upsettedness by partner innkeeper never witnessed by this innkeeper before. Guest chose to stay.
This innkeeper is willing to print out guest confirmation to show to said guest should topic come up again. Innkeeper is willing to show guest where they checked off the box that said they read the policies. Partner innkeeper is peeved. This innkeeper is willing to start day off on new foot and not mention a thing. Not sure about partner but will discuss later on.
A secondary, but equally important discussion topic is about how do you intervene when you realize something is going very wrong between your partner innkeeper and a guest? Other guests witnessed this and there was no place to move them so they were 'out of the line of fire.' The other guests were fine as far as this innkeeper could tell. Nothing was said to them, they said nothing and the whole thing appeared to them to have started before they arrived.
Discuss among yourselves, the doorbell is ringing here.

The actual policy is very relevant to the discussion. Could you quote the policy here?
And here's one way to handle it: "Thank you for your input. I will bring this up with management." Repeat as needed.

If indeed the policy is not the issue, then I would start with a clean slate in the morning and do everything I could so that my partner innkeeper did not have any interaction with the guest. If that means you need to switch some tasks, do it.
How many days is he staying?

I wish I could keep my partner away from guests! I finally brought up the incident of about a month ago - waited so I would not rip his tongue out! - and noting came out except excuses of why he kept flapping his tongue.
Said guest was a stupid man and we all know the only cure for stupid is death. Cannot do that for either party - darn!! Stupid man brought up politics and as soon as I realized where he was going I just said Oh really. Oh. the non-committal whatever thinking the mantra - they pay, they stay, they go away. DH gets involved and will NOT shut up. Guest left in huff. This was a corporate person on his second visit and what I am certain was his last. There goes revenue I sure could have used. Now ask me why I sometimes talk of Hefty bags, Tide, and cement........ And why I struggle to make this place all it can be..... I need sleep. Sorry

Hmmm....not sure if I can comment not knowing what the policy was. I mean, there are policies worth drawing a line in the sand over and maybe some that are not.
But imvvho it is never good to get into a protracted discussion with someone who is SO SURE that they are right and you are not. You can't engage these kind of people and once you do, it's all over. If they're leaving tomorrow, it would be best just to wish them well as they check-out and head on to either bother someone else or go home.

Would be hard to say without the policy but I would work on the presumption that the policy is in place for some reason? ie you had a problem in this way and brought in a rule about it? Unless it is left over from previous owners or something and then you may have a re think. Some people just won't have it. We had a very similar situation just this week and I had to handle it because DH was so cross he had to walk away so as not to say something rude. Luckily he was only in one night. The long and short is that it is your place and your policies and if he doesn't like it he can lump it he signed to say he agreed to the policies so it is his fault if he didn't actually read them. Also it is your place just becuase no one else does this doesn't matter so what! It is your place if it works for you or there is a good reason for it stick to your guns. I would perhapse say to this chap we had a problem with XXXXX so we put this policy in place for the enjoment of our guests namely you. It is for your protection and enjoyment even if it isn't!

The reason the policy was not stated in the original post is because there is no need to rehash the policy. Almost all of you have the exact same policy in place. Rehashing the policy is not the point. Whether or not it is a good policy or bad policy is not the point. Backing us up on the policy or saying we should change it is not the point. The point is the situation that arose and how to handle it should it arise again for any reason.
What is needed is how to extricate partner innkeeper and vice versa should there be a need. How do you gracefully remove your partner from harm's way without it appearing so?
And, how many of you on first meeting a guest will allow them to question how you do business by stating that you are running your business wrong? This was a topic recently on which there were many opinions and we generally just say that we'll think about it. But this guest jumped into our business with both feet within 2 minutes of coming in the door and, sorry to say, after 8 years in business we were not prepared.
Life happens, there are lots of things going on including very long days. Maybe we were due for a guest like this to test our mettle.

I for one am happy you did NOT state the policy...no need for the discussion to devolve into 50 posts of "We do this, why do you do that, etc.".
We have had this issue happen here. DH is not afraid to get aggressive if he feels someone is being disrespectful to us or our home. I am the opposite of aggressive and I get mortified any time this happens IN THE MOMENT, but afterwards always realize that some of these people just need to be pushed back on. If you keep up with the sweet polite innkeeper routine they will just push and push. When someone stands up to them they might just back down.
NO ONE has the right to walk into your home or business and start questioning your policies..."I'm sorry sir, did someone force you to book here? If you didn't like the policy you should have chosen a different place." Of course the reason they are so angry in the first place is because they knew the policy but of course assumed it would not apply to THEM.
To answer your question, at this point you should limit the amount of interaction between the guest and your partner as much as possible. You should have that guests' initial reservation request and confirmation printed out and ready so that if he broaches the topic again you can point out the multiple times he read and agreed to it. If it continues to be an issue then the guest should be issued a refund and made to leave. It's not worth the stress for you, especially if you are potentially looking at dealing with this for several more days. Lost revenue is just money, lost peace between you and your partner is just not worth it.

Ouch. Tough one. I hate being hit with issues the minute the guest walks in. I'm not sure either of us could get the other one out of this situation so I have no help on that. BUT, if the guest continues along that line in the morning, ask if they have their confirmation with them so you can show them exactly where it states the policy they claim needs to be added.

Thank you for all the comments. Breakfast went well even though there were a lot of personalities vying for who knew the most. Guests were nice and thanked my partner for a wonderful breakfast.
As for me, it was nothing but tension. Could not focus just waiting for something to go wrong. It seems like the week for guests who know better than I how to run the business. Including one who wanted to tell me how there was too much food for breakfast.

Thank you for all the comments. Breakfast went well even though there were a lot of personalities vying for who knew the most. Guests were nice and thanked my partner for a wonderful breakfast.
As for me, it was nothing but tension. Could not focus just waiting for something to go wrong. It seems like the week for guests who know better than I how to run the business. Including one who wanted to tell me how there was too much food for breakfast..
I'm sorry you're stressed, I know that feeling waiting for something to go wrong. It sounds like you both might be stretched a little thin...any chance of a break anytime soon? We got out for 4 days last week and I feel like a different person...ready to steamroll into the fall.
Too much food for breakast? If you're full stop eating, pretty simple!!!!

As for me, it was nothing but tension. Could not focus just waiting for something to go wrong. It seems like the week for guests who know better than I how to run the business. Including one who wanted to tell me how there was too much food for breakfast..
Alibi Ike said:
As for me, it was nothing but tension. Could not focus just waiting for something to go wrong. It seems like the week for guests who know better than I how to run the business. Including one who wanted to tell me how there was too much food for breakfast.
So glad all went well. You could not help being tense, it is a normal reaction for us all. Our defenses go up and we are ready to pounce if need be. Glad there was no need. Maybe the guest had had a previous experience that had gone bad, or had been some where the night prior that was not as warm and cozy as your place ended up being...Sometimes the nights rest turns a cranky geezer into a tame cat in the morning.
Better a guest pushes himself from my table with food left on the plate, than to be sitting there after completing his meal and his stomach is still growling for more.

most important to me is to back-up one another. not having had a partner in the biz, i can only say it would be great to let someone else take over while i backed off. but if i really wanted the guest out, i'd want my partner to back me up.
if guest agreed and checked in and then was just pushing that you didn't say this and if you do say it you shouldn't, guest is not the innkeeper and probably acts this way all over the place.

I'm sorry you're stressed, I know that feeling waiting for something to go wrong. It sounds like you both might be stretched a little thin...any chance of a break anytime soon? We got out for 4 days last week and I feel like a different person...ready to steamroll into the fall.
Too much food for breakast? If you're full stop eating, pretty simple!!!!
We've been running around 85% occupancy for the past three weeks and it's definitely getting to us. This is not a complaint at all, but it does tell after while. No chance for a break until September.
It's looking like this is 'the week'. We have one every August and it's when it hits that it gets remembered. Another caller this morning is already in town at another property and is not happy there. That usually means that it has to be twice as good here to erase the bad taste they have.

Alibi Ike said:
So glad all went well. You could not help being tense, it is a normal reaction for us all. Our defenses go up and we are ready to pounce if need be. Glad there was no need. Maybe the guest had had a previous experience that had gone bad, or had been some where the night prior that was not as warm and cozy as your place ended up being...Sometimes the nights rest turns a cranky geezer into a tame cat in the morning.
Better a guest pushes himself from my table with food left on the plate, than to be sitting there after completing his meal and his stomach is still growling for more.
This guy's problem- the one who thinks there is too much food- comes from me offering to carry a suitcase. He was insulted that there was some question as to his ability to carry a suitcase. He was unhappy at check-in, unhappy at breakfast and was only happy when arguing with the policy guy.

Alibi Ike said:
This guy's problem- the one who thinks there is too much food- comes from me offering to carry a suitcase. He was insulted that there was some question as to his ability to carry a suitcase. He was unhappy at check-in, unhappy at breakfast and was only happy when arguing with the policy guy.
Just avoid him like the plague :) Be nice but just get out of his way and don't take it personally. There is always someone out there you can never satisfy..so don't try...just wave goodbye as he leaves and take a nice deep slow breath...lots of them .

Alibi Ike said:
Isn't that funny? I have gotten that reaction a few times, from both men and women...I'm not saying you can't carry it, I'M TRYING TO BE NICE!!!
3 ladies from TX checked in today and told us we were the first on their entire trip to offer to carry bags, they were tickled.

I always say it is compulsary from the people that give us our rating ie the AA) that we offer help with luggage please don't be offended.

Alibi Ike, how did this all play out in the end? Did the guest seem to finally be satisfied when they left?
I guess if they had calmed down after all, I would let it go. If not, they probably would have gotten a copy of where they had agreed to the aforementioned policy along with their receipt at check-out.
devil_smile.gif

Some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing.
angry_smile.gif

I guess I was lucky, my dh pretty much deferred to me in difficult situations since I was the primary innkeeper. He knew if he got sucked into something that it would never be good....

Everything went well and there was a nice comment in the guest book from them. Sometimes wonder if nothing serious goes wrong because the stress is all done in advance. Will try not stressing sometime to see how that works for me.

Back