Opinions on new color on website, please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay let's just say - the website does NOT have to match the house colors. Once we get over that we can find some cool color schemes. I know we are tempted to use those colors since we use the B&B house in the header shot. Heck you use a rock or tree or the color of the footpath near the house as a contrast color. There are so many shades of every color.
After recently stripping awful paper and painting a bathroom upstairs the wide wood framed mirror jumped off the wall when you walked in against the vanilla paint vs the dark green vinyl that was there! It is fantastic! I was so excited to see it. It doesn't always have to MATCH to look great. Sometimes NOT matching is what I like best.

I think that is heading in the right direction..I would like to see it just a tad bit lighter shade so the text shows up better..
catlady said:
I think that is heading in the right direction..I would like to see it just a tad bit lighter shade so the text shows up better.
Do you think the beige on the forum is lighter or the same shade? If it is lighter, what color is it? I tried all the variations of 'beige' and 'sand' that I could find on the visi color charts, none looked right. I guess I don't know enough about how the colors are determined (ie- how the color chart works) to make up my own color. Altho, it's really just a matter of changing the hex color number, right?
The color of the beige backgound here on this site is: HTML: #EAE8D0 / HEX: 0xEAE8D0
The color you have there now I show as #BEE6FD
YOu need to download COLOR PICKER. its a real easy and cool tool to have on hand.
catlady said:
The color of the beige backgound here on this site is: HTML: #EAE8D0 / HEX: 0xEAE8D0
YOu need to download COLOR PICKER. its a real easy and cool tool to have on hand.
Nope, not that one. The one that is in the boxes that show the 'unread topics' and 'newest recipes' etc. The beige-y one. This one is gray. This is another reason it's so hard! I see beige and someone else sees green or yellow!
The side border here is TOO dark for your pages. There is no contrast like there is here on this site. It makes it way too hard to read. The middle section background here is the color I think you should use. IT looks light beigey green on my computer screen.
Maybe SWIRT can give us all a lesson on setting the colors correctly on our monitors so they show what they should.
catlady said:
Maybe SWIRT can give us all a lesson on setting the colors correctly on our monitors so they show what they should.
Hah...if only it were something a lesson could solve..it would make my life soooo much easier. Unfortunately the only way to solve it is with a Display Calibrator
ir
that plugs into the computer and then gets placed right on the screen to sample the color directly from the monitor face...then it tells you what to adjust on your monitor ... and after you spend a lot of time messing around with it, you either have it "right" or you discover that your monitor is incapable of rendering the colors correctly.
Graphic artists use them to tune their monitor to match the inks being used.
Here is a test image for calibrating contrast on your monitor which is a start, but it is a long way off from having all monitors look the same.
Gheez and if only my eyes could read what it says:-( Oh well.

I think that is heading in the right direction..I would like to see it just a tad bit lighter shade so the text shows up better..
catlady said:
I think that is heading in the right direction..I would like to see it just a tad bit lighter shade so the text shows up better.
Do you think the beige on the forum is lighter or the same shade? If it is lighter, what color is it? I tried all the variations of 'beige' and 'sand' that I could find on the visi color charts, none looked right. I guess I don't know enough about how the colors are determined (ie- how the color chart works) to make up my own color. Altho, it's really just a matter of changing the hex color number, right?
catlady said:
Nope, not that one. The one that is in the boxes that show the 'unread topics' and 'newest recipes' etc. The beige-y one. This one is gray. This is another reason it's so hard! I see beige and someone else sees green or yellow!
The side border here is TOO dark for your pages. There is no contrast like there is here on this site. It makes it way too hard to read. The middle section background here is the color I think you should use. IT looks light beigey green on my computer screen.
catlady said:
Hah...if only it were something a lesson could solve..it would make my life soooo much easier. Unfortunately the only way to solve it is with a Display Calibrator
ir
that plugs into the computer and then gets placed right on the screen to sample the color directly from the monitor face...then it tells you what to adjust on your monitor ... and after you spend a lot of time messing around with it, you either have it "right" or you discover that your monitor is incapable of rendering the colors correctly.
Graphic artists use them to tune their monitor to match the inks being used.
Here is a test image for calibrating contrast on your monitor which is a start, but it is a long way off from having all monitors look the same.
Gheez and if only my eyes could read what it says:-( Oh well.
Basically it says adjust your contrast and brightness settings on your monitor until you can just barely make out that the white circle is actually made up of one white and 2 off-white circles AND so that you can just barely make out that the black circle is actually 1 black + 2 off-black circles. :)

Are the two olive-y beige ones the same? I like it better than the chocolate one. It's easier to read, in my opinion.

Back to the original question...how is this one?.
I think I missed all the samples
sad_smile.gif

The beige & green reminds me of trees........and then I had an Army flashback....
regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
I think I missed all the samples
sad_smile.gif

The beige & green reminds me of trees........and then I had an Army flashback....
regular_smile.gif
Two samples in the original post and then another one a few posts below yours.I was kind of afraid of the Army flashback thing. I may have to add a pop of color in there that is 'non Army'.

YES!!! Like it much better. Keep the yellow as an accent color. It looks more New Englandish..
The trouble with doing this is I can't keep the old color, change it and then show the new color for comparison unless I change different pages!
Bree said:
The trouble with doing this is I can't keep the old color, change it and then show the new color for comparison unless I change different pages!
Just create a sample page and toss some stuff on there extension SAMPLE or something.
I would get rid of that old green in the header altogether.
You can get color COLOR SCHEMES - like Craftsman, Paper, Stone, Hitech etc that will give you all the accent colors.
I use this sometimes on gifs

Back