Organizing Reservations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use SuperInn and manually add reservations if made by phone to superinn like you would to webervations. However, I do have an index card on each guest as a backup plan - that card has vital info as well as dietary/beverage choices. These are stored by year in alpha order but I use just one card per guest, multiple visits. I also keep an appointment book (week at a glance) - I like to handle paper, can you tell?... it's extra work, but I trust it. I paperclip the index card to matching week. Giving up the paper system is going to be a tough one for me... where do you store the little bits of info on the guest like food dislikes, allergies... and how do you access that info - by going into your computer system before breakfast each morning?.
greyswan said:
where do you store the little bits of info on the guest like food dislikes, allergies... and how do you access that info - by going into your computer system before breakfast each morning?
I am also using Superinn. I don't do the index cards anymore but after every reservation comes through online or if I book it by phone I go and print out the registration form which has all their vital information on it. The only thing I staple is the credit card slip to it. I file those by date order so that I always have a hard copy. Any food allergies or other inportant information I need I add to the "reminders" button on Superinn. The reminder Tab will then turn Yellow. Every day when I log in and click on #7 Today Guest List it will show all those food allergy notes on one page and what times the guests are supposed to check in. I often will check these a few days ahead of time just so I have it in my mind that someone will have a certain allergy to something. When the guest checks in I have the filed registration forms pulled out for them to sign at check-in. They are then refiled again.
This is a good use of that reminders tab. All I use it for right now is if I have packages that need items to be purchased. But having the dietary info in there would save a lot of time.

thanks for your ideas.... the seed is planted to eliminate the paper... we shall see!.
greyswan said:
thanks for your ideas.... the seed is planted to eliminate the paper... we shall see!
If you eliminate all paper, make DANG SURE that you make regular backups. I had a computer crash not long ago. Fortunately, everything was backed up. However, I also keep paper copies of the reservation confirmations with all the notes scribbled on them.

thanks for your ideas.... the seed is planted to eliminate the paper... we shall see!.
greyswan said:
thanks for your ideas.... the seed is planted to eliminate the paper... we shall see!
If you eliminate all paper, make DANG SURE that you make regular backups. I had a computer crash not long ago. Fortunately, everything was backed up. However, I also keep paper copies of the reservation confirmations with all the notes scribbled on them.
I can't get rid of paper! I need my 'book' so I have a weekly overview, on paper, in front of me. We have too many power outages here to go 'paper-free'.

I have been singing the praises of Guestall since I first came to the forum. For reporting, for monthly taxes, for notes, for correspondence, for labels, for guest statements, for everything. All guest management in one place. Everything is a click away. It is on my own PC and I bought the software and then pay a small annual subscription fee.
Again, you can download a free full copy to test drive it. You have nothing to lose! I recommend this prgm, I have it up and running 24/7 and have relied on it for 7 years now and it has NEVER let me down. What I am offering is valuable insight, from someone who knows the prgm and uses it constantly every day.
http://www.guestall.com/.
Thanks I will look into it!

I currently use 1.0 for webervations...I don't see anything about upgrading to 2.0....I wonder how that's done?.
I have not received any webervations reservations this week, wondering if my potential guests are finding glitches.? hmmm.. Will be looking into bookatonce next week.

great ideas... well, I'm starting to use the reminder tab in SuperInn for dietary notes and other guest info that I need "right away". Like the idea of having a res book and writing the menus down. I was wondering how to capture those. There doesn't seem to be anything in SuperInn for general calendar notes which would be a nice feature to add for appts, menus, other misc notes. We do have power outages occasionally and server downtime too, so I'll keep my appt/res book for now. Will explore the links, too.

great ideas... well, I'm starting to use the reminder tab in SuperInn for dietary notes and other guest info that I need "right away". Like the idea of having a res book and writing the menus down. I was wondering how to capture those. There doesn't seem to be anything in SuperInn for general calendar notes which would be a nice feature to add for appts, menus, other misc notes. We do have power outages occasionally and server downtime too, so I'll keep my appt/res book for now. Will explore the links, too..
The paper book is where I store all the 'other' notes...my own appts, etc. Along with an online calendar.

great ideas... well, I'm starting to use the reminder tab in SuperInn for dietary notes and other guest info that I need "right away". Like the idea of having a res book and writing the menus down. I was wondering how to capture those. There doesn't seem to be anything in SuperInn for general calendar notes which would be a nice feature to add for appts, menus, other misc notes. We do have power outages occasionally and server downtime too, so I'll keep my appt/res book for now. Will explore the links, too..
What I wish they would do is to allow notes to be attached to dates rather than guests. That way I could put in all the shows, etc so it is right in front of me when someone calls. Ditto, notes on what is so special about THIS weekend. Gomez never knows what weekends are holidays.

I use reservatonkey for my online rez. It has an area for me to make diet/menu notes. I do make a 3x5 card with cc# (number at bottom so it can be cut off and shredded) to clip in my reservation book. I finally got smart and got Carbonite for off-site back-ups - if I make a change of any kind on my C drive, it is backed up automatically. I do not have a laptop but I can take my rez book with me with some cards to take the info when i travel and if doing a phone rez, can ask them to book online or if near a Library I can go into my booking myself.
I started out on a shoestring and stupid regarding management systems, meaning I did not know there was such a thing. I just use an Excel spreadsheet for my ledger. I can do a search for the name if needed. Since I am small, it works for me.

Back