Others booking for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenW

Reaction score
So how do you handle this? So far it hasn't been a issue but just got a email from a guest due to arrive this weekend stating that she will be checking in late and her daughter will be checking in early.So card holder won't be here till after office is closed.It was all a little fishy. My main concern is the card holder may not be here to verify/sign check in registration.

We no longer require signing anything. It helps when you have this kind of situation. We also charge the card in advance, so if there’s an issue the card holder generally gets a notification that the card has been used and can call if it’s not authorized.

We no longer require signing anything. It helps when you have this kind of situation. We also charge the card in advance, so if there’s an issue the card holder generally gets a notification that the card has been used and can call if it’s not authorized.
This is what we do as well.

Same here. All reservations are paid in full (99.9%) prior to check-in. We have 13 rooms and the easier check in is the better.

IF you use Square, you can send her an invoice and SHE fills in the card number. The fee is a snick more than running it when she is there, but less than a manual entry. It is easy and works beautifully. I have used it when a guest was paying for a room for his daughter & son-in-law. Our Rail-Trail Foundation used this method with Square at Christmas to sell our mugs.

Same here. I haven't seen a guest's charge card or gotten a signature in years. It's all done online. I require a deposit of one night's charges when the online reservation is made, and I change the balance, if any, to the same card when they arrive.

If they call or email to make the reservation, I have Reservation Key email them a secure online payment link and they make payment that way. ResKey saves the payment info so I can charge the balance due, if any, upon arrival, without having to see them or their card.

I'm amazed how easily people calling "from the road" can receive the payment email and make payment from their phones. Mobile phones are wonderful, and the generation who can't use them competently are about to the age where they don't travel without a younger person along to handle stuff for them!

Guess I am fretting over nothing, sometimes never see who is staying here. Especially this year with all the flight delays and check ins very late and gone before I get out of bed.

Guess I am fretting over nothing, sometimes never see who is staying here. Especially this year with all the flight delays and check ins very late and gone before I get out of bed.
I think you’re being proactive. You know the guests you get and maybe there is some cause for concern. But, if you’ve never, or rarely, had an issue with credit card charges or late arrivals packing the rooms, maybe give yourself a break from worrying.

After one of the neighboring inns found complete strangers hauling luggage up the stairs I decided to lock up everything and wait up for late arrivals. I was miserable. And some of the guests were appalled that their schedule caused me to wait up. It was just easier, and no trouble, to let the guests arrive when they could without me waiting up all grouchy.

To the point of guests packing the rooms, I’ve seen that once or twice, but the guests who did that checked in in person and then had the extra people come in later.

We've had it a few times. Since we do virtual check-in, we tell them that they will have to send the information to that guest, as we can't.

Back