Our contract says: Deck and Hot Tub Close at 10:30pm - it's now 12:30am - what do we do??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil Fawlty

Reaction score
We do smaller weddings on the property. Our contract says that the deck and hot tub are closed after 10:30pm. How do we go about removing revelers from the deck/hot tub after hours?? I hate to walk out there and be the Enforcer - but_ we live in concert with our neighbors and want folks to respect our contract and our environment...
Kimberly King, Green Cat Guest House, POulsbo, Washington State

I know this is too late to help you now, but you signed up to be the enforcer of the rules. Gotta do it. You have to live near these neighbors long after the revelers are gone. Unless you want the neighbors calling the police, you've got to go out there.

I agree. And after all, for your sake and the guests', it *is* better you than the police. They may not want to see you coming, but they definitely don't want the cops at their party.

Sorry..but that is what you have to do...enforce the rules....otherwise they will walk all over you. This is especially true since your neighbors may call the police because of the noise. Do your thing:) Get them out of there. I would never have waited 2 hours. If 10:30 is the rule...the latest I would have waited was 10:45.
I am surprised that none of your neighbors called you. If I was one I certainly would :-( sorry.

again, too late to be helpful this time
but ... go out to the area 20 minutes before closing and announce that you'll be closing the deck and hot tub in 20 minutes. then return 10 minutes later and start shutting down or gathering up or putting away chairs or turning off decorative lighting or doing small tasks indicating that it's closing time and STAY THERE. if anyone grumbles, you remind them it's a town ordinance or whatever speech you prepare. turn off the bubbles, hand out towels, whatever you need to do. all the while, smiling and helpful and AUTHORITATIVE.
people having a good time often don't want to stop.
people talking and laughing in a pool or tub don't realize how loud they might be and how their voices and laughter carry.
if you don't enforce an exit time, they will think it's negotiable or doesn't matter or that you are making an exception.
let us know how it turned out.

ps in the section on your website saying there is a hot tub for their use (and of course in your policies) mention the hours that guests may be in the hot tub and that parties may be on the deck 'due to local noise ordinances' or however you word it.

I echo the others here... sorry to be late with this info... but it is up to YOU to force the contract time limits!!! Once that party got rolling, they lost all consept of time and your contract is far out of their minds...
Does your town have noise ordinance laws - if so have your contract end time 15-30 minutes BEFORE that time...this give you and the party a cushion. Then if you do have to hault a party, you can use this law as your reason.. (always nice to be able to point to someone/thing out of their control). You should also have a VERY high fee for going past the contracted time... money talks...

but ... go out to the area 20 minutes before closing and announce that you'll be closing the deck and hot tub in 20 minutes. then return 10 minutes later and start shutting down or gathering up or putting away chairs or turning off decorative lighting or doing small tasks indicating that it's closing time and STAY THERE. if anyone grumbles, you remind them it's a town ordinance or whatever speech you prepare. turn off the bubbles, hand out towels, whatever you need to do. all the while, smiling and helpful and AUTHORITATIVE.
people talking and laughing in a pool or tub don't realize how loud they might be and how their voices and laughter carry.
if you don't enforce an exit time, they will think it's negotiable or doesn't matter or that you are making an exception.
let us know how it turned out..
I like that idea. Just like with kids. Set the limit, remind them of the limit, start getting ready to enforce the limit, time's up!

Just a thought, not everyone has access to a clock while IN the hot tub, is there an outdoor clock nearby visible at night?

Remember tons of people ignore signs and printed material. Giving them a heads up can be seen as a politeness not a bad thing.

SS - some good ideas for a polite hint. We have done this as our way to close down as well and it seems to work fairly well. If you have lights on timers, it is also an easy way as a reminder... you could remind them as they go out that the lights will blink X minutes before the area closes for the night giving time to get things together.

Just a thought, not everyone has access to a clock while IN the hot tub, is there an outdoor clock nearby visible at night?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Just a thought, not everyone has access to a clock while IN the hot tub, is there an outdoor clock nearby visible at night?
Another great idea. And something to indicate when it's time to get out.

Just a thought, not everyone has access to a clock while IN the hot tub, is there an outdoor clock nearby visible at night?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
A good product for B&B's - the weather proof wall alarm clock!!!!

seashanty said:
...if you don't enforce an exit time, they will think it's negotiable or doesn't matter or that you are making an exception.
Not to hijack this thread, but this also applies to enforcing your stated check-in and check-out times. You give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile.
It's human nature to act the way guests act sometimes. Heck, most of us probably do it ourselves when we're not cognisant of it. However, as seashanty indicated, most individuals will accept the rules being enforced when done in a pleasant authoritative manner.....unless they are stinking drunk.
Don't make it about you or the guests. Make it about the stated policy. If they refuse to comply, don't confront them, call the cops. You'd be surprised how well they behave after that.

seashanty said:
...if you don't enforce an exit time, they will think it's negotiable or doesn't matter or that you are making an exception.
Not to hijack this thread, but this also applies to enforcing your stated check-in and check-out times. You give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile.
It's human nature to act the way guests act sometimes. Heck, most of us probably do it ourselves when we're not cognisant of it. However, as seashanty indicated, most individuals will accept the rules being enforced when done in a pleasant authoritative manner.....unless they are stinking drunk.
Don't make it about you or the guests. Make it about the stated policy. If they refuse to comply, don't confront them, call the cops. You'd be surprised how well they behave after that.
It is all about sticking to what you told them. When my kids were home we didn't have a lot of rules because I couldn't enforce them. But the ones we had were ironclad.
And here I sit with people ringing the doorbell starting at noon. All with hopeful expectations that I forgot what time check-in is.

seashanty said:
It is all about sticking to what you told them. When my kids were home we didn't have a lot of rules because I couldn't enforce them. But the ones we had were ironclad.
And here I sit with people ringing the doorbell starting at noon. All with hopeful expectations that I forgot what time check-in is.
Morticia said:
There is one rule in our home.
Do whatever we tell you to do.
Works pretty good unless you have a couple of airheads...which of course we do.

Back