Our First PITA!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We just spent the morning cleaning the carpet and re-painting a big section of the wall behind the bed in one of our new cottages. We should have guessed something was up when a lone guest used up enough towels, washcloths, handtowels, hairtowels, makeup removal cloths for two individuals. She apparently had set an unidentified liquid on the bedside table then proceeded to knock it over staining the wall, box springs, floor and the top of the bed side table. The mess came off the trim easily because it's painted with a semi-gloss enamel. However, the textured wall did not fair as well.
We expect things like this to happen, but it would have been nice to know about the accident while the stain was fresh. It might have been easier to remove. This was also our "eggs-free" guest who barely touched her breakfasts after DW had gone to a lot of extra trouble to accommodate her.
angry_smile.gif

Yes some accidents are to be expected. It is too bad she didn't say anything to you about it. I bet she was totally embarrassed by it. Unfortunately it makes it more difficult for you. I might be tempted to send her some sort of email ...nothing nasty....just indicating the problem and just stating that we wish you would have told us, we could have taken care of it right away. This way the next time something happens, she might be more inclined to tell someone.
pita.gif

Your first? MAZELTOV! Sadly this will be the first of many!
I had to learn not to get upset by these things and think of everything as just "stuff"
Would have been nice had they apologized about the accident.

I feel for you. I dread our first. After all the renovations that dh did, I know he will hit the roof when it happens!
Riki

Yeah, stuff happens & you'd think that the guests would let you know. I discovered that someone apparently spilled a soda at the foot of the bed when I stripped the room. It didn't make it to the mattress pad but everything else had to be washed. I was already planning to wash the microfiber blanket because I've just now swapped them out with the heavier all-season down alternative blankets, but I had just washed the quilt in that room. grrrrrrrrrrrr.....
Just like our broken antique sofa...you can't be super attached to the things in the guest rooms.
sad_smile.gif

Congratulations, I guess...
While my best friend was here I was hanging out with her up in her guest room... it was very interesting being in there as a guest instead of an innkeeper.
She opened some soda and it promptly bubbled up and spilled out all over. She ran in the bathroom and grabbed the first thing she found (white towel). Thankfully it was a clear soda. She completely missed the paper towels that were also there.
I'm sure, had I not been in there, she'd have cleaned it as best she could and then forgotten all about it.
She told me about a hotel she and her husband went to. The TV was moveable, but somehow the bracket holding it bent or they pushed it too far and a wire connection piece broke. (Or maybe someone else had done it before they got there?) Her dh went out, bought a part, and fixed it, not like new but so that the TV would work. They were afraid to tell the hotel because they thought there would be a charge. She wondered if they did the right thing. I told her if they broke something of mine and then fixed it that I wouldn't care... and they'd be welcome to fix the broken things that they didn't break! They saved the hotel the trouble and expense of fixing it, so why would the hotel care? It's when the fix isn't done that the hotel needs to know.
Anyway, sorry about the mess you have to clean and fix...
=)
Kk.

Yes some accidents are to be expected. It is too bad she didn't say anything to you about it. I bet she was totally embarrassed by it. Unfortunately it makes it more difficult for you. I might be tempted to send her some sort of email ...nothing nasty....just indicating the problem and just stating that we wish you would have told us, we could have taken care of it right away. This way the next time something happens, she might be more inclined to tell someone.
pita.gif
I would not do that. I think she will not be back and I doubt it PT will mind that at all.
Our surprise reservation last weekend could easily have been a never come back. Fortunately she did not blame me for what happened.
They were here for the second time on our inn-to-inn pkg and shortly after they arrived I got a call from the other inn demanding to speak to the woman. I asked what was up - she smiked in our bathroom! Ah, don't you think that should wait for another time? I want to speak to her NOW!!!
She came to the phone denied the allegation and was very upset. I apologized for the call coming at my inn. They came here again after that - once in 2001. Does she remember? You bet! When she was here last week she said you probably don't remember... and i told her I definitely did and felt badly that he had made that call. They have always been respectful of my place. And that innkeeper had no right to take anyone to task while they were at MY inn. (I did not hang up on him because it was a good business arrangement - for the most part....)
I do not believe in causing a problem with a guest after they leave unless it is something that you need to charge them for - that is a different situation. Calling them on something may vent your anger, but in the long run will help nothing. Just let it go.

Sorry for your problem, but now your know it is only stuff!
GH stated: I do not believe in causing a problem with a guest after they leave unless it is something that you need to charge them for - that is a different situation. Calling them on something may vent your anger, but in the long run will help nothing. Just let it go.
Good advise. Sometimes hard to let it pass but do let it pass. Most likely she will never call again, but if she does quickly refer to your 'Never Again' list.

pita.gif
I would not do that. I think she will not be back and I doubt it PT will mind that at all.
Our surprise reservation last weekend could easily have been a never come back. Fortunately she did not blame me for what happened.
They were here for the second time on our inn-to-inn pkg and shortly after they arrived I got a call from the other inn demanding to speak to the woman. I asked what was up - she smiked in our bathroom! Ah, don't you think that should wait for another time? I want to speak to her NOW!!!
She came to the phone denied the allegation and was very upset. I apologized for the call coming at my inn. They came here again after that - once in 2001. Does she remember? You bet! When she was here last week she said you probably don't remember... and i told her I definitely did and felt badly that he had made that call. They have always been respectful of my place. And that innkeeper had no right to take anyone to task while they were at MY inn. (I did not hang up on him because it was a good business arrangement - for the most part....)
I do not believe in causing a problem with a guest after they leave unless it is something that you need to charge them for - that is a different situation. Calling them on something may vent your anger, but in the long run will help nothing. Just let it go.
gillumhouse said:
I'm still waiting to vent my anger on the folks who quite blatantly smoked in the bathroom (you may recall the guests in the next room pontificating about how they never stay in a smoking room, no never even book one while smoked smell poured into their bathroom from the room next door) and almost caused me to lose that room (which, given the circumstances might not have been a bad loss
wink_smile.gif
). Should they EVER attempt to book here again, they WILL know why there are no rooms available.

pita.gif
gillumhouse said:
I'm still waiting to vent my anger on the folks who quite blatantly smoked in the bathroom (you may recall the guests in the next room pontificating about how they never stay in a smoking room, no never even book one while smoked smell poured into their bathroom from the room next door) and almost caused me to lose that room (which, given the circumstances might not have been a bad loss
wink_smile.gif
). Should they EVER attempt to book here again, they WILL know why there are no rooms available.
That is a difernt story - your guests and you venting/dumping on them. YOU have a valid gripe. I cannot imagine you contacting those guests at another innkeeper's inn to chew them a new one! That was my complaint - they were at my inn.
I have been fortunate so far. Unless they were hanging out the window with it, everyone has gone out onto the porch to smoke.

Oy! I'm so sorry for you. You were so worried about making sure you had something delicous to give her for breakfast and then she goes and destroys your stuff. It is SO frustrating...make sure you both take the time to vent about it but then do move on, it unfortunately does happen and it will happen again.
We have a binder with info on our B&B and the surrounding area in each guest room. We have a small paragraph that says we understand that accidents happen, but please bring it to our immediate attention as it is often easier to minimize damage if you get to it quickly. It also says that items found damaged after the person has checked out will be charged to their account (we have NEVER charged anything, btw, and probably never would unless it was very blatant).
Since we've put that in people have come and told us when they've spilled on something or broke something. You don't want to make anyone feel bad but at the same time they are adults and should be able to own up to their mistakes. I have never been angry when something broke and the person brought it to me...I always feel badly for them and glad that they brought it to my attention, and especially for stains it always IS easier to get it out if you get there fast.

Oy! I'm so sorry for you. You were so worried about making sure you had something delicous to give her for breakfast and then she goes and destroys your stuff. It is SO frustrating...make sure you both take the time to vent about it but then do move on, it unfortunately does happen and it will happen again.
We have a binder with info on our B&B and the surrounding area in each guest room. We have a small paragraph that says we understand that accidents happen, but please bring it to our immediate attention as it is often easier to minimize damage if you get to it quickly. It also says that items found damaged after the person has checked out will be charged to their account (we have NEVER charged anything, btw, and probably never would unless it was very blatant).
Since we've put that in people have come and told us when they've spilled on something or broke something. You don't want to make anyone feel bad but at the same time they are adults and should be able to own up to their mistakes. I have never been angry when something broke and the person brought it to me...I always feel badly for them and glad that they brought it to my attention, and especially for stains it always IS easier to get it out if you get there fast..
Grape soda. Never mentioned a word about it...on the quilt, on the blanket and all over the carpet. Same thing as YS, must have exploded on opening. But they slept in the wet bed rather than mention it. Unless they had grape soda for breakfast, which is possible as they didn't come to breakfast.

Back