Our First Wedding

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
I'm about to perform my first wedding ceremony in about 45 minutes. I think we are ready and both DW and I are psyched!
This is the son of a friend and we are doing this mostly gratis with the understanding that this is our "practice" wedding. His father is a carpenter who built us an awesome wedding arbor that we will be able to use in our future Elopement ceremonies. Our baker came across with an beautiful scaled-down cake and all the other details seem to have fallen into place.
DW and I worked together for the DOD at the same place for 25 years in different jobs, but those jobs had us working and putting together events on a regular basis. We are trained!
I will report back after everything is over. Everybody cross all your appendages for us.

thats awsome-we are trying to talk our owner into doing elopments next year....i think it would be great small and intimate...

UPDATE:
It went perfectly. My advise for anyone considering this, keep it simple. If you are officiating, take charge and provide direction. Yes, it's all about the bride, but by keeping an Elopement Package small, the logistics are not overwhelming. You can let the bride have complete control over the look and content of the ceremony, but you set the parameters. We emphasized that we are NOT a small wedding venue.
The experience showed us some things we can change to make life easier for us, but nothing was major. Since we are doing rustic, outdoor weddings, we can get away with a lot more.
In Texas anyway, the big trend right now is Western Shabby Chic. DW went to a lot of effort to come up with a table covering for the cake and champagne service. We decided that we're going to have a rustic table built that doesn't require a covering, so it's just a matter of setting it up.
The arbor was well designed. They included some carefully placed metal rods at the top that served to hold the long scarf the draped the arbor. The bride and groom provided all kinds of decor items, which they are leaving with us for future use.
I'll be posting photos on our Facebook page when we get them sorted.

nice one! did they let you take lots of pics? thinking of facebook and web site!

UPDATE:
It went perfectly. My advise for anyone considering this, keep it simple. If you are officiating, take charge and provide direction. Yes, it's all about the bride, but by keeping an Elopement Package small, the logistics are not overwhelming. You can let the bride have complete control over the look and content of the ceremony, but you set the parameters. We emphasized that we are NOT a small wedding venue.
The experience showed us some things we can change to make life easier for us, but nothing was major. Since we are doing rustic, outdoor weddings, we can get away with a lot more.
In Texas anyway, the big trend right now is Western Shabby Chic. DW went to a lot of effort to come up with a table covering for the cake and champagne service. We decided that we're going to have a rustic table built that doesn't require a covering, so it's just a matter of setting it up.
The arbor was well designed. They included some carefully placed metal rods at the top that served to hold the long scarf the draped the arbor. The bride and groom provided all kinds of decor items, which they are leaving with us for future use.
I'll be posting photos on our Facebook page when we get them sorted..
There's a TV show with a couple of sisters who do TX shabby chic. They had some really wild ideas but they could be toned down for a wedding. Or not.

nice one! did they let you take lots of pics? thinking of facebook and web site!.
nice one! did they let you take lots of pics? thinking of facebook and web site!
I'm going to create a "wedding album" for each wedding we have on our website. The especially good photos I'm posting to Facebook for publicity.

UPDATE:
thumbs_up.gif
Glad it went off with a hitch!
thumbs_up.gif

UPDATE:
There's a TV show with a couple of sisters who do TX shabby chic. They had some really wild ideas but they could be toned down for a wedding. Or not.
We like that show..but haven't seen it on recently. They really go wild with some of their designs

nice one! did they let you take lots of pics? thinking of facebook and web site!.
I'm going to create a "wedding album" for each wedding we have on our website. The especially good photos I'm posting to Facebook for publicity.
Glad that it went well!! Here's hoping that you get many more...

UPDATE:
Proud Texan said:
UPDATE:
I'm still waiting for pictures from the photographer, but here are some snap shots DW took.
Go HERE
One thing I did learn from this is that when you tag these photos on Facebook, they go viral! Great publicity. So, yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

UPDATE:
Proud Texan said:
UPDATE:
I'm still waiting for pictures from the photographer, but here are some snap shots DW took.
Go HERE
One thing I did learn from this is that when you tag these photos on Facebook, they go viral! Great publicity. So, yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Those look just great. Looked like a lovely ceremony in a beautiful setting.

Back