Our Groceries

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
This has really made a difference in how we shop and after about 4 months of using it, I have nothing negative to say.
It's a free application (I know all phones don't have access) called "Our Groceries". DH set it up so I don't know all the ins and outs but I do know it's very straightforward.
Basically it's a shopping list that can be accessed from your computer or your phone. You can set up as many lists as you want (ie local supermarket, big box, hardware etc). Updates are immediate, so if DH is on his way to the supermarket and I realize I've forgotten something I can add it from here and he'll see it when he gets there. If he's leaving early for the big box store and I'm still doing breakfast I still have time to finish breakfast and update the list before he even gets to the store.
The list is alphabetical, so we've added "categories" to make shopping easier - ie "Pears x 4" are "Produce - Pears x 4" so each area of the supermarket is in the same area of the list. When you get an item - delete it otherwise it will stay on the list for the next time.
No more ..... "ummm - I'm sorry, I know this is the 5th call, I know you're in traffic, but if you remember, when you get to XYZ store, could you also get a 35 lb carton of the non-scented, multiple-cat litter and - oh yes - we're running short on detergent, but I really hated the one you got last time so here's what I really want and just so you know, the guest fridge is looking great but if you want to eat tonight ..... What do you mean you can't remember all that? No, I can't call you later, because phone coverage is spotty in the store and you won't be happy when you have to walk back outside just to hear me. Yes - I'll send you a text message. Yes - I'll try to keep it simple and yes - I know that's not my forte".
Hope this helps. It's really helped me.

and secondly someone else shops? What the! You call or text someone 5 times?
whattha.gif

is it a phone app or ?
i know this is really (really) low tech ... but i made up a master shopping list on my computer. printed one out, posted it and checked off things as we saw we'd need them. at shopping time would take the list and put up a new one in its place.
any time we bought something that wasn't on the list, i added it to the master list just in case
in quietest of times, i'd add details about the items ... brands we preferred and 'best price' we'd got it for .... if i saw something ... like bacon ... was on special ... stock up and store in freezer and i'd have a little inventory list of what we had on hand.

I am lost, what is it? A website?.
Joey Bloggs said:
I am lost, what is it? A website?
Phone app you can access from a website. Write up your shopping list on the website (or the phone) and then you can add and subtract stuff from it on your phone or on the computer. Tipsy stays home and Mr Tipsy does the shopping. My problem is that the person with the cellphone never has it turned on so I can call all I want to no avail!
I think it beats those extremely annoying people in the aisles, 'What? What kind of spaghetti sauce? There are 25 different kinds, which one do you want?' You simply go into the program on your computer at home and write it into the shopping list (brand and all) and it's there when the person gets to the store. If the other half answered the phone, this app would save my marriage! As it is, he just has to go back out again.

is it a phone app or ?
i know this is really (really) low tech ... but i made up a master shopping list on my computer. printed one out, posted it and checked off things as we saw we'd need them. at shopping time would take the list and put up a new one in its place.
any time we bought something that wasn't on the list, i added it to the master list just in case
in quietest of times, i'd add details about the items ... brands we preferred and 'best price' we'd got it for .... if i saw something ... like bacon ... was on special ... stock up and store in freezer and i'd have a little inventory list of what we had on hand..
This would work for me.

I am lost, what is it? A website?.
I'm so sorry - I'm horrible at explaining things ... The shopper does not have to answer the phone, he / she simply looks at a list that can be populated from pretty much anywhere.
Hence - no annoying phone calls from ME when I'm run off my feet with guest rooms etc and suddenly "remember" that I've left a crucial item off my list. Since we've used this, there has not been one single "well you'll just have to go out again" moment.
Basically it's a central list that can be added to, subtracted from or accessed from anywhere.
Bottom line is that DH comes up with super technical ideas that simply don't work for me - this one does. I LOVE it.

You mean...gulp...a honey-do list? gulp...as I back slowly and delicately away from the monitor...

That's great. I've been using a different phone app, but no web list. I have a netbook set up in the kitchen, and sometimes I don't want to stop what I'm doing, go turn on my phone and wait for it to boot up...and I end up forgetting to put something on the this. Def going to look this up. Thanks.

You mean...gulp...a honey-do list? gulp...as I back slowly and delicately away from the monitor....
Joey Bloggs said:
You mean...gulp...a honey-do list? gulp...as I back slowly and delicately away from the monitor...
No, not really. A shopping list for whichever honey is at the store. Even if it is only one honey who ever goes to the store. But that honey might find it easier to pull out the phone while at store X to make notes for store Y. I lost my shopping list the other day. Found it when I got home in the bottom of one of my bags. Not helpful. Then again, the phone was in the car so that wouldn't have helped, either!

There are a bunch of these phone apps out there for different shopping lists, but fyi "Our Groceries" was recommended in the October 2010 "PC World" magazine "101 Essential Apps for Android, Blackberry, and iPhone under the category of apps for multiple platforms. It's FREE and can be shared with other handsets even if they don't run on the same OS. (For instance if you have an iPhone & your dh has a Blackberry.)
I haven't made my way through the entire article to look at and download the apps that I want, but there are lots of interesting ones out there.....

There are a bunch of these phone apps out there for different shopping lists, but fyi "Our Groceries" was recommended in the October 2010 "PC World" magazine "101 Essential Apps for Android, Blackberry, and iPhone under the category of apps for multiple platforms. It's FREE and can be shared with other handsets even if they don't run on the same OS. (For instance if you have an iPhone & your dh has a Blackberry.)
I haven't made my way through the entire article to look at and download the apps that I want, but there are lots of interesting ones out there......
Holy Cow - do you mean for once in my life I'm ahead of the curve .... OK - it's just because I listened to DH for a change. Seriously - I know I did a vile job of explaining what it is and how it works but I think it's fabulous.

I haven't made my way through the entire article to look at and download the apps that I want, but there are lots of interesting ones out there......
Holy Cow - do you mean for once in my life I'm ahead of the curve .... OK - it's just because I listened to DH for a change. Seriously - I know I did a vile job of explaining what it is and how it works but I think it's fabulous.
Haha! Yes, seems like you might be on this one. There are a fair number of folks here on the forum that do the whole phone "apps" thing. Lol!
teeth_smile.gif

btw - thanks for reminding me about it! I need to get this going with my dh so I don't get those pesky phone calls from the store all the time ! whenever he goes to pick something up for me. ;-)

Back