Our idea - what do you think?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annoyed? step away from the keyboard for a bit. ;)
1/2 the net income. My partner could be blowing smoke but he has tax returns etc showing he made money before and his mtge was a lot bigger.
But as has been pointed out, it is 2010. I assume at some point every owner on here went from being aspiring to an innkeeper. I am sure this was a painful process. A few people on here talked about business plans and five year plans etc. So some people look on this as a business. Some people on here run BnB's for others so that part is not unheard of either. I lack experience but my partner does not. I saw the easy peasy comment. That is fine. I laid out my plan for criticism and that is what I got.
There is not BnB money to buy but there is mtge money and lots of BnB's sell that way with a side agreement on the remainder, either cash or owner financed etc.Also in a few years hopefully the market will be better. I picked this forum after reading at a few as i could see the passion you guys have for this business/lifestyle. My partner is very excited about getting a second chance at this BnB. A opportunity with a little more money to position it correctly at first, a lower payment to cover once it is running and lack of need for immidiate cash flow to allow for more staff.
Would you want to buy back your BnB if this situation was presented to you?
PS if this thread is really upsetting to anyone that was not my intention. I have to admit, I sort of enjoyed my brief flash in the spot light as Gordon Gekko. :) On the other hand, no one is really enjoying the real estate downturn. And I think we would all agree that foreclosure is not a happy thing..
toddburme said:
I assume at some point every owner on here went from being aspiring to an innkeeper.
An aspiring is someone who aspires to be an innkeeper.
That would not apply to someone who wants to purchase a foreclosed property and thinks he can just put a smiling face at the front desk and then flip for a profit.
That's an investor at best. Opportunist might be a better description. Either way, it's neither an innkeeper nor an aspiring.
I would not disagree with these statements.

1/2 the net income. My partner could be blowing smoke but he has tax returns etc showing he made money before and his mtge was a lot bigger.
But as has been pointed out, it is 2010. I assume at some point every owner on here went from being aspiring to an innkeeper. I am sure this was a painful process. A few people on here talked about business plans and five year plans etc. So some people look on this as a business. Some people on here run BnB's for others so that part is not unheard of either. I lack experience but my partner does not. I saw the easy peasy comment. That is fine. I laid out my plan for criticism and that is what I got.
There is not BnB money to buy but there is mtge money and lots of BnB's sell that way with a side agreement on the remainder, either cash or owner financed etc.Also in a few years hopefully the market will be better. I picked this forum after reading at a few as i could see the passion you guys have for this business/lifestyle. My partner is very excited about getting a second chance at this BnB. A opportunity with a little more money to position it correctly at first, a lower payment to cover once it is running and lack of need for immidiate cash flow to allow for more staff.
PS if this thread is really upsetting to anyone that was not my intention. I have to admit, I sort of enjoyed my brief flash in the spot light as Gordon Gekko. :) On the other hand, no one is really enjoying the real estate downturn. And I think we would all agree that foreclosure is not a happy thing..
toddburme said:
We would not buy our B&B - we built it so that we would not have to spend that kind of money. I'd build again.
And we are making great money - growing hugely every year.
But we still would not want to sell in this climate. Look around, there are plenty of B&Bs for sale all over the country for a song right now. The one you are considering is just another one. And I bet all of them are saying they are all making money too.
What you don't realize is what MAKES a B&B is ther personality of the owner/operator and their love of running their property. You have no interest in that, and believe me, the traveling public are not stupid. They will sense they are just another number.
But don't listen to us - you say you have no problems with financing and have it all figured out (and do you have ANY food and beverage or hotel experience? You thinking that you could put someone in there to run it for half the money tells me no) please, go ahead and buy it! Let us know the name, please!~ We would love to watch you flip it!
Just like all those people out there that are upside down on their mortgages right now...
Riki
egoodell said:
What you don't realize is what MAKES a B&B is ther personality of the owner/operator and their love of running their property. You have no interest in that, and believe me, the traveling public are not stupid. They will sense they are just another number.
Riki
That is the crux right there.

You know, as I read this I think you are really set to buy this place, and can afford to do so. Consensus here based on a myriad of experience is that it will not work out well as a money making proposition, especially as a B&B.
I don't think you will be able to convince anyone here it will . My thought is you have heard all the cautions here but --if you want it, buy it.
Well if I can't get a handle on the BnB part, I am still leaning towards buying it and having a person rent it for very cheap and just waiting a bit. I have some friends and family in the area and I know I could do that part of it. The bad part of this plan is that it would lose some good sized money during the waiting period. Utilites are very steep on an old house of this size and the maintenance! Well I think we all get the idea on that stuff.
So yeah I am definitely leaning towards buying. Who hasn't wanted to own a beautiful older home? but what to do with it...

You know, as I read this I think you are really set to buy this place, and can afford to do so. Consensus here based on a myriad of experience is that it will not work out well as a money making proposition, especially as a B&B.
I don't think you will be able to convince anyone here it will . My thought is you have heard all the cautions here but --if you want it, buy it.
Well if I can't get a handle on the BnB part, I am still leaning towards buying it and having a person rent it for very cheap and just waiting a bit. I have some friends and family in the area and I know I could do that part of it. The bad part of this plan is that it would lose some good sized money during the waiting period. Utilites are very steep on an old house of this size and the maintenance! Well I think we all get the idea on that stuff.
So yeah I am definitely leaning towards buying. Who hasn't wanted to own a beautiful older home? but what to do with it...
Stop wasting our time.
poke.gif

toddburme said:
Buy it! You'll have a ball spending all kinds of money fixing it up.
RIki

toddburme said:
We would not buy our B&B - we built it so that we would not have to spend that kind of money. I'd build again.
But we still would not want to sell in this climate. Look around, there are plenty of B&Bs for sale all over the country for a song right now. The one you are considering is just another one. And I bet all of them are saying they are all making money too.
But don't listen to us - you say you have no problems with financing and have it all figured out (and do you have ANY food and beverage or hotel experience? You thinking that you could put someone in there to run it for half the money tells me no) please, go ahead and buy it! Let us know the name, please!~ We would love to watch you flip it!
Just like all those people out there that are upside down on their mortgages right now...
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
So you obviously understand what we are saying. If you have the money and you want to buy the place..go for it. But buy it as a house to flip...not a business. Doing as a business....you will not be successful. Fix it up as a potential B & B so that someone who may want to do it...will find it appealing that the work has already been done. By that I mean...a bathroom for EVERY bedroom....no shared. A very nice up to date kitchen and PRIVATE owner's quarters with more than a bedroom. THey must be away from guests bedrooms/living areas and innkeeper should have access to kitchen and laundry from the privacy of their own quarters where guests cannot see them. If you can do that..then you will have the place set up very well. Now all we can hope it is in a good location where there is the potential for guests.
Otherwise, a private home can never have too many bathrooms either :)

toddburme said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
So you obviously understand what we are saying. If you have the money and you want to buy the place..go for it. But buy it as a house to flip...not a business. Doing as a business....you will not be successful. Fix it up as a potential B & B so that someone who may want to do it...will find it appealing that the work has already been done. By that I mean...a bathroom for EVERY bedroom....no shared. A very nice up to date kitchen and PRIVATE owner's quarters with more than a bedroom. THey must be away from guests bedrooms/living areas and innkeeper should have access to kitchen and laundry from the privacy of their own quarters where guests cannot see them. If you can do that..then you will have the place set up very well. Now all we can hope it is in a good location where there is the potential for guests.
catlady said:
Good advice and maybe a real option. :)
Those who want me to leave them alone. Well it is easier to ignore this thread as I have not been a real prolific poster. Just a thought.

toddburme said:
Well if I can't get a handle on the BnB part, I am still leaning towards buying it and having a person rent it for very cheap and just waiting a bit. Utilites are very steep on an old house of this size and the maintenance! Well I think we all get the idea on that stuff..
Oh yes! Rent it for cheap! I'm sure the tenants will take SUPER GOOD care of it! Especially with those high utility bills!
RIki

toddburme said:
I assume at some point every owner on here went from being aspiring to an innkeeper.
An aspiring is someone who aspires to be an innkeeper.
That would not apply to someone who wants to purchase a foreclosed property and thinks he can just put a smiling face at the front desk and then flip for a profit.
That's an investor at best. Opportunist might be a better description. Either way, it's neither an innkeeper nor an aspiring.
I would not disagree with these statements.
Then perhaps you should follow JB's advice and leave us alone.
This is a forum for innkeepers. That can include aspiring innkeepers but you have agreed that you are neither or those.
It does not include those who simply want to exploit innkeepers.
You are going to do what you want to do and clearly did not really come here for advice. It's clear that you have no understanding whatsoever of inns or innkeeping and are not seriously interested in gaining that understanding.
What your motivation might be to continue to insult a community of innkeepers, I cannot imagine.
Nor can I imagine why you are still here.

what about partnering with someone who wants to invest half or 1/4 with your backing the rest and they run it? someone who needs a true partner, who really wants to do the b&b biz ....

The Andiron said:
I get that many of you find the original post-er to be arrogant and rude, and who knows, maybe he is. The thing is - according to many of your responses - you are too.
Wow.
What a disappointing comment coming from an innkeeper who has been welcomed on this forum with open arms.
And how much further disappointment to find that you have no problem whatsoever with continued postings from someone who clearly has exploitation of innkeepers in mind, not innkeeping.
The poster insulted this community and many of the longterm innkeepers in this forum took offense at that.
With very good reason.

The Andiron said:
I get that many of you find the original post-er to be arrogant and rude, and who knows, maybe he is. The thing is - according to many of your responses - you are too.
Wow.
What a disappointing comment coming from an innkeeper who has been welcomed on this forum with open arms.
And how much further disappointment to find that you have no problem whatsoever with continued postings from someone who clearly has exploitation of innkeepers in mind, not innkeeping.
The poster insulted this community and many of the longterm innkeepers in this forum took offense at that.
With very good reason..
I read the thread and found rudeness and arrogance on both sides. It's merely an observation.
But, I get it. With us or against us. I don't want to further intrude on your community. Best to all of you.

The Andiron said:
Wow.
With very good reason..
I read the thread and found rudeness and arrogance on both sides. It's merely an observation.
But, I get it. With us or against us. I don't want to further intrude on your community. Best to all of you.
Best to you, too.
We've all wished you well and I'm sure most of us here will continue to do so.
But rudeness comes in many forms. Sometimes it can be as simple as not accepting a gracious welcome or as complex as seeing oneself in discussions that are not personal or unrelated to the reader.
Rude as your comments towards us may be, I still do hope that the love of innkeeping you've shown so far continues.
If it does, I'm sure you'll continue to see much success.

The Andiron said:
Reading this thread...wow. All I can say is that I am very glad I didn't discover this forum before we bought our inn.
Don't get me wrong - I can't imagine trying to flip an inn. Seems impossible to me. And yeah, this guy sure doesn't seem like mr. hospitality. But such strong reactions! So much certainty about the "way" to do this! It feels very narrow-minded to me.
A year ago, if I had posted our plan here for all y'all to review, I'm pretty sure you'd have told us it wouldn't work either. We're doing everything wrong - we live off site, we don't offer breakfast, etc! And yet...and yet...it's working (and even profitable). Luck? Still too early to say it's working? Or perhaps, just perhaps, there are more than a few ways to do this, and very few absolutes.
OK, here's the thing. He came here and asked our opinion. We gave him our opinion but he didn't like what we said. He tried to convince us. It wasn't going to happen.
Please don't take this thread and try to make it fit into your situation. Everyone is different. You make your business work for you...you make it clear that you are not a B&B. Apples and oranges.

According to the terms of this forum name calling is forbidden.
Just as an FYI no one here is responsible for anyone else and each is free to comment how they wish. Whether we agree with them or not. Sheesh can you imagine? Most of us disagree here on a daily basis, we're all different people in different situations.
If someone asks the forum a question - then the forum is actually allowed to answer the question how they see fit.

what about partnering with someone who wants to invest half or 1/4 with your backing the rest and they run it? someone who needs a true partner, who really wants to do the b&b biz .....
I love this idea and I have had a couple of inquiries thanks to this thread. I think there is a way to give someone and opportunity without "taking advantage". I imagine there are some folks without a lot of money who would like to be innkeepers and me with money who doesn't but would like to be part of it. :)

The Andiron said:
Wow.
With very good reason..
Best to you, too.
We've all wished you well and I'm sure most of us here will continue to do so.
But rudeness comes in many forms. Sometimes it can be as simple as not accepting a gracious welcome or as complex as seeing oneself in discussions that are not personal or unrelated to the reader.
Rude as your comments towards us may be, I still do hope that the love of innkeeping you've shown so far continues.
If it does, I'm sure you'll continue to see much success.
Sorry if I am came off as rude. That was never my intention. I have to admit that after being here, I can tell I am not going to many BnB conventions. ;)

Andiron, all I can say is "Huh???" This gentleman asked us what we thought about a plan to buy a property that had formerly been a B&B and to flip it for sale in 2 years. After putting $50K into it. Many of us gave him advice to look at some other possibilities, reminded him of the current resale market for B&Bs, suggested that he investigate the B&B market and lodging market in the area of this proposed venture. How is that rude? He essentially got a lot of sound advice for FREE!
Making your situation work with off-site owners and no breakfast is great for you. A lot depends on location, location, location and how staff is employed. We have a lot of opinions on this forum but have always contended that what works for some, doesn't work for everyone. Stick around and see what I mean.

well we just closed. The previous owner and my partner is moving in and running it so I think that resolves the biggest issue that those of you on here had. I did recieve some great advice so I thought I would share the outcome or well more of the start as it were.
The website is not up yet but the name with lots of weird spaces. Not sure why we do that but willing to follow conventions qu i ll and qu i lt in Min ne sota.
Thanks again for your help. :)

well we just closed. The previous owner and my partner is moving in and running it so I think that resolves the biggest issue that those of you on here had. I did recieve some great advice so I thought I would share the outcome or well more of the start as it were.
The website is not up yet but the name with lots of weird spaces. Not sure why we do that but willing to follow conventions qu i ll and qu i lt in Min ne sota.
Thanks again for your help. :).
Congratulations! I wish you great success. Glad to hear the PO is now hands on!

Back