Our mugs keep growing feet.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
This frustrates me to no end. We keep 20 of our Deneen mugs out for guest use (they form a little pyramid so you can tell at a glance how many are in use at any given time). The past two weeks we have had THREE mugs grow legs and walk out of here.
We haven't had anyone disgruntled, everyone has been happy pappy...but then they're stealing a mug on they're way out the door? I don't get it.
angry_smile.gif

Note to self - do not buy Deneen mugs that fit into drink holders if you live in a scenic area.
(Not saying any fit in drink holders, but I just thought of this)

That's how most of my mugs left here...not sold but on their own little feet...

Raise the rate for room.........include the mug as a "special gift"
"Book your stay....recieve a free keep sake"

I think it is more likely that it is a genuine mistake (ie they think it is a free gift) is there a sign saying if you would like to buy one they are $$$ please ask us? if not that may make it clear that they are not for free. trouble is I think people think if a thing is branded it is there to take.

It's not a mistake, there's a large sign that says "These mugs are for sale!". It's not like it happens often, but it seems to go in waves like this. We sell ~300 of these mugs per year, along with coasters, magnets and ornaments. Someone is just helping themselves.
I just put a sign up on the front door saying we are missing a few, please return them so we can be sure to keep them washed so there are enough for everyone...last time I did that 2 mysteriously reappeared.

It's not a mistake, there's a large sign that says "These mugs are for sale!". It's not like it happens often, but it seems to go in waves like this. We sell ~300 of these mugs per year, along with coasters, magnets and ornaments. Someone is just helping themselves.
I just put a sign up on the front door saying we are missing a few, please return them so we can be sure to keep them washed so there are enough for everyone...last time I did that 2 mysteriously reappeared..
then they are officially gimps cos I know they are quite expensive and athough that is not the point everything affects the bottom line. Also if it is very clear they are for sale then it is theft and that is unpleasant. We are tossing up haveing a cabinet in reception to sell local produce ie toffee, jam, cheese, etc but I am looking for one that is glass at the top and a cupboard at the bottom both of which lock as I just don't trust people enough to not have it locked up. It is why we did away with our honesty fridge as no one ever paid. sad fact

"Book your stay....recieve a free keep sake".
I like your thinking. Something to ponder.
regular_smile.gif

BBBob
BBBBoB said:
regular_smile.gif

BBBob
A few years back when I had my logo redesigned......I had mugs and lunch coolers made up.......I marketed them as a free gift for contracting large jobs with us.
This year I have had customers invite me in and see that they are still using our coffe mugs......caught one this year early in the morning going to work....carrying my lunch cooler.....she stated, she had been using it every day since giving to them.....she thanked me for giving her the opportunity to save the lunch money for the seasonal enhancements we have been doing....A coworker of hers had contracted us 3 years ago.....when looking for a new service provider she remembered the logo'd cooler

You all are too nice, they are stealing them. These are expensive Deneen Pottery hand thrown mugs. She does have them for sale, for sale kaching kaching exhange ye ol' dinero to get one. They think because there is a stack for all the guests to use, that one missing won't be noticed. Shame on them!

THese are far too expensive to let them walk. You should at least put a little sign...i know...
embaressed_smile.gif
but you should...."These mugs may be purchased for $25" or whatever...
OR, keep them under lock and key and have cheapo mugs sitting out for use.

Ask Deneen to implant them with microchips. then you can have a door scanner as they exit that beeps.

I have teeter tottered back and forth about ordering these mugs. They are very beautiful! But several things sway me for intense the topic of this thread! We were using nice mugs (not logo) for our early coffee service and they were walking. We have a lot of business guests and many want to carry a cuppa with them - with out thinking, there went a mug! Some would remember to bring it back in, some didn't remember until they got to the airport. I did get a few emails 'sorry I forgot...' but it is just not worth having them ship it back (and they know it) and these are not something they would take as a momento.
This topic of runaway mugs have surfaced here several times. Which always brings me back to the drawing board. I love the looks of the Deneen mugs but I personally do not want to use them at the table with my settings. They also hold one heep of coffee, and while some guests do constantly ask for refills in our 6oz cups, many others leave 1/2 a cup (maybe of the 2nd) or so... I am thinking about how much coffee I will have to perk to fill those mugs. i don't mind making coffee, I just don't want to have most of it to pour down the sink when cleaning the table.
But they are pretty.... Wow Rup, you sell 300 a year... now that has me thinking again!!!!

I have teeter tottered back and forth about ordering these mugs. They are very beautiful! But several things sway me for intense the topic of this thread! We were using nice mugs (not logo) for our early coffee service and they were walking. We have a lot of business guests and many want to carry a cuppa with them - with out thinking, there went a mug! Some would remember to bring it back in, some didn't remember until they got to the airport. I did get a few emails 'sorry I forgot...' but it is just not worth having them ship it back (and they know it) and these are not something they would take as a momento.
This topic of runaway mugs have surfaced here several times. Which always brings me back to the drawing board. I love the looks of the Deneen mugs but I personally do not want to use them at the table with my settings. They also hold one heep of coffee, and while some guests do constantly ask for refills in our 6oz cups, many others leave 1/2 a cup (maybe of the 2nd) or so... I am thinking about how much coffee I will have to perk to fill those mugs. i don't mind making coffee, I just don't want to have most of it to pour down the sink when cleaning the table.
But they are pretty.... Wow Rup, you sell 300 a year... now that has me thinking again!!!!.
They are beautiful and SO durable. This is not a constant problem, and in fact after I put my note on the front door one miraculously showed back up in the rotation. We make nice $$ from our gift shop sales, and more importantly people love these mugs and use them forever. They have all different sizes, ours hold 10 oz which is perfect for most...just enough and it doesn't get cold 'til you drink it. They have every color imaginable.
The number one biggest reason for me is that Deneen is a family owned business and all their things are MADE IN USA. This is a big selling point for our guests, too.

regular_smile.gif

BBBob
BBBBoB said:
regular_smile.gif

BBBob
A few years back when I had my logo redesigned......I had mugs and lunch coolers made up.......I marketed them as a free gift for contracting large jobs with us.
This year I have had customers invite me in and see that they are still using our coffe mugs......caught one this year early in the morning going to work....carrying my lunch cooler.....she stated, she had been using it every day since giving to them.....she thanked me for giving her the opportunity to save the lunch money for the seasonal enhancements we have been doing....A coworker of hers had contracted us 3 years ago.....when looking for a new service provider she remembered the logo'd cooler
One Day said:
You've made me curious. What kind of jobs? I can see that this would be a good way to get local exposure, especially if you're logo designed product is positioned in a highly visible location.
Yes, it's nice that people like your mugs and coolers and still use them, but has it netted anything besides compliments?
Have you ever received an actual reservation that's directly attributable to one of these free gifts or is it more of a vehicle to keep you in the mind of the general public?

regular_smile.gif

BBBob
BBBBoB said:
regular_smile.gif

BBBob
One Day said:
You've made me curious. What kind of jobs? I can see that this would be a good way to get local exposure, especially if you're logo designed product is positioned in a highly visible location.
Yes, it's nice that people like your mugs and coolers and still use them, but has it netted anything besides compliments?
Have you ever received an actual reservation that's directly attributable to one of these free gifts or is it more of a vehicle to keep you in the mind of the general public?
I'm aspiring at the momment.
Currently in the green services industry

But they are pretty.... Wow Rup, you sell 300 a year... now that has me thinking again!!!!.
I just went with plain white mugs in our guest service area that were a perfect size for the Tassimo. Plus, I had coffee makers in 3 other rooms, so expensive mugs would probably have walked out a lot.
Coffee service at breakfast included either crystal Irish coffee mugs or china cups and saucers. I like the Deneen mugs a lot but they didn't seem to fit in with our style.

Back