Our Seasons Of Discontent... or Why I Wanted To Quit Today

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We allow children of all ages and have never (in 4 years) had a major issue. All our beds have waterproof mattress covers under our nice thick mattress pads. Most parents are smart enough to handle their kids. Other couples always seem delighted when there's a baby at breakfast!

Next arrival.... toddler in tow! We don't accommodate toddlers... but what am I going to do, throw them out on the spot?
Yes, it's difficult to do, but I've done it.

Hold strong. Right now, instead of guests being grateful to have a virus free place to stay, they've turned into selfish, unappreciative and ready to break all the rules. I think they've been stuck inside for so long, they are tired of not having their typical life. It's now all about them. I so tired of it!

I've never had my rooms left so filthy, filled with trash (take out food they bring back to their room which we do allow), and I constantly have to tell them to mask up and keep their distance me. I think they feel so at home, they drop their guard.

For bed-wetters, well I just use two mattress pads, or three. Everywhere. Problem solved. I understand that unfortunately adults wet the bed too.

Sending people away would get complicated if there was Booking involved and/or deposits. Also, in sending them away, what if there is no other room to be found. i would hope to re-rent the room at a higher rate due to lack of availability in the entire reason sometimes.

We've been fortunate to have only a couple of arrivals with infants. We helped them find other accommodations, citing "insurance restrictions".
The bed wetters we had were adults. We did have an 8 year old who shared the bed with mom, but she was upfront and honest, offering to pay for the sheets if we needed her to. Of course we didn't require that, but thanked her for letting us know so our housekeepers could handle the sheets appropriately and safely.
In a case like that, if expecting a child you could use one of those mattress covers that are leak proof. They are more expensive, but you would only need a few to use when needed.

You can check with your state’s innkeeping association. I find the state’s website to be arcane and our association knows everything! If you think you can get an answer, you could also ask the health department. However, lots of owners have found that one inspector will say different rules apply at inn A vs at inn B, so they’re not always a good resource. Also, your town may have separate rules that are stricter than the state. So, I’d stay with the state association. I think you have a good one in VA.
The guests will probably just accept your word, so lie.

I
It is imperative that people inform you of bed wetting as it presents a health hazard to housekeeping staff (whether it's you or an employee). It's unacceptable and well worth a confrontation to me, even if it comes with a bad review. I wouldn't be shy in my review response about stating that leaving a bed wet with urine is a health hazard, posing risks to housekeepers and future guests.
I wouldn't go that far, out Covid cleaning protocol is so strict that urine would be a walk in the park.

Back