Our website - Suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
Ok I need some help on this. We had the old pictures up and they popped up into a small frame and had a flash that you could forward these little photos. So taking advice of big photos. I redid the rooms page. Bigger photos and a seperate page for each room. Well we were getting a booking a day and now we have dropped to one in the last 10 days. I can't just put it back as I need to set up the flash etc. hmmm maybe I could do that actually. Two of the rooms, my partner took the photos and they are just too dark imo. So when I get back to the states I will change those.
Anyways - any obvious flaws on the site? http://www.quil landq uilt.com/
Thanks
PS I know this is possibly a painful experience as no one likes their stuff picked on but worried about having done an obvious to everyone but me stupid thing hahah.

Picked for free? I think thank you cards s/b sent out.
whattha.gif

Good News: Site is simple, attractive, straight forward and easy to navigate. The photos are fine, but a Flash slideshow would be very effective. Very good job overall.
Bad News: IMHO the type face used in your text blurb in the box of each page header is a visually busy and should be reserved for headlines and not for body text. It is a little hard to read and a bit over the top. Perhaps use that font to create a drop-cap then use an easier to read font for the body of the text.
On the individual room pages, it would be a bit neater if you can align the text below the pictures with the outer edges of the picture instead of having the slight overlap. This should be easy to do if you are using tables for positioning. I would also justify the alignment of the text within the table cell.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Joey, I got you. And no worries I too feel I have already accumalated a debt to the forum.
Thanks Proud Texan. Here is the old rooms page and if you click the room it opens a small window.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080212092828/www.quillandquilt.com/rooms.html
One quick issue I noticed is that the rooms a bit more plainer now. I am sure that is because the other ones had years to get the right peices for this or that spot and we had 3 months.

I know, it's scary, like sitting there in your scivvies or something. I have technical difficulties with my site. I am preaching to myself more than anything. :)
Beautiful place!
My one suggestion Todd would be to have the rooms pages populate a new window, as I already closed it as I am not used to using back buttons anymore. Plus I might want to compare rooms side by side...two windows. A button on the lower half "See next room" might be nice too.

I like the new room pages better. I agree that the text on the header image is rather hard to read. But since it is all one image. It may be hard to change without redoing the entire header. I would rather see a really good full image in the header and save the text stuff for the body of the page. Search engines can't read what is in the image...no alt text for it either.
On the rooms page, I would not lead with guest comments.
Lead with information about the room. I don't think it is necessary to describe in detail the rug, colors etc. People can see that in the photos. The text seems to run on and it is hard to read. It would be preferable if you did a bullet format. The eyes can follow it so much better. And we all know..PEOPLE DON'T READ :-(
For example:
The largest room in the house is named after Colonel William Colvill, who was a local civil war hero. Room includes:
Antique oak Ling size four poster canopy bed
Gas Fireplace
Seating Niche
TV / DVD Player
Attached (Private?) Bath
Oversized Double Jacuzzi
Separate Shower
Air Conditioner
Private Balcony
Put the RATE for the room on each room page, you are making it hard on the viewer. Has to go back to the ROOM page to see rates. Maybe on your Amenities Chart you could also include the rate for each room. That will make for a good comparison too.
Don't tell them: "Click link below to display comparison of room amenities". Just put something like: Compare Room Amenities Here.
You get the idea. See how much easier this shows people what you have. They don't have to read paragraphs. Then, give me a way to view the next room without having to go back to the top menu and clicking on rooms again. Name the rooms and navigate to each, or have a NEXT ROOM button and go to it and the same on all the other room pages.
I note that your text font changes from some pages to another. You need to make sure it is the same everywhere.
On your page title. You state "Ruby's Room" well how does a search engine know where that is? TItle could be something like Ruby's Room at the XXXXX INN in XXXX. Clarify exactly what is on the page in the title for EVERY page.
On the Specials page you underline some text..not needed. Some may think a link that doesn't work. You have it bold and large font..that is enough.
Under Reservations you have your policies. That is ok, but Somewhere else you need to define your polices as well...at least in my opinion. Maybe a policies page, or with rooms page? But I would distinquish it from the reservations. Or make the links say Policies & Reservations. The reservation link should go directly to your availabiliy/ reservations. YOu are making more work for the viewer.
Hope this helps you.:) Best wishes!

I LOVE your "Compare Room Amenities" box! Never seen something like that, very smart.
As JB said, have your Room pages open in a new window so you don't lose the home page while perusing. I would also move your "Guest Comments" for each room to the bottom of the page, and have your room description at the top.
Your place looks beautiful and it seems like your website represents it well.

In other words, as Mortie says "JB will have bullets on her tombstone"
Bullet that baby, bullet the heck out of it, google like bullets too.

In other words, as Mortie says "JB will have bullets on her tombstone"
Bullet that baby, bullet the heck out of it, google like bullets too..
JB will have bullets on her tombstone"
YEP...we have always agreed on this one!

I know, it's scary, like sitting there in your scivvies or something. I have technical difficulties with my site. I am preaching to myself more than anything. :)
Beautiful place!
My one suggestion Todd would be to have the rooms pages populate a new window, as I already closed it as I am not used to using back buttons anymore. Plus I might want to compare rooms side by side...two windows. A button on the lower half "See next room" might be nice too..
Thanks Joey and yep that is exactly how it feels. hahahaha

Beautiful place! When one thinks Bed and Breakfast in America, that's exactly what they're wanting!
...we were getting a booking a day and now we have dropped to one in the last 10 days...Can't blame all that on a web page change. A lot of it may be do to the fact that things just slow down this time of year. Back to school time seems to affect everything on earth, not just people who have kids in school. I don't know why.
Did someone say bullets?
  • On the rooms page, I'd make the room names into regular blue hyperlinks (and keep them bold font like they are now). Not everybody will realize that you can click the room photo to go to the room page. When you see a blue hyperlink you know exactly what to do with it.
  • I agree with moving the guest comments down. When people arrive at the page, the first thing they want are the photos and the second thing they want is the description. The guest comments are just icing on the cake later.
  • I'd be happy with one big flash slideshow rather than several individual stills of the rooms. Either way works but the slideshow would let you display things even bigger, and let you use more than 4 photos if you want to.
  • Colvill: put some plants/flowers by that tub, and maybe a bottle of champagne or something. It's too plain. Needs to be romantic and inviting. Also on that table with the two chairs, put a flower arrangement on that table for the photo.
  • Ruthy's: get rid of that TV power cord when you make the photo. Same advice as above about making the tub inviting. (and same for the Conley tub)
  • Loft: I'm fine with the darkness of the bed photo. Makes it look cozy. But the gap in the curtains distracts me in the photo. Hide that cord to the heater for the photo.
  • Haven: You have a plant by the tub! Now you've got it. I have no complaints about the Haven photos. Excellent!
  • Directions page: What you have now is good. These days, though, it's good to either embed or give a link to a zoomable map Google Maps or similar. People who don't know the area can't get much feel for where you are unless they can zoom out and see the whole state.
  • I agree that the Compare Room Amenities page is a very good thing. I'll borrow that one from you for sure!

You might look at how I did my room page and see if it's something you could use. It's just simple javascript/mouseover code, so it's not hard to do. Here is the link (temporarily): Rooms
It is also well worth the expense to have a professional photography shoot your rooms.

You might look at how I did my room page and see if it's something you could use. It's just simple javascript/mouseover code, so it's not hard to do. Here is the link (temporarily): Rooms
It is also well worth the expense to have a professional photography shoot your rooms..
Heck fire, PT. I have an aunt living in Tyler. I've been in your neck of the woods many times!
I have friends here who have 2 cottages on the river. They opened fall of last year. Their business has been so good, they've just raised their rates from $100 weekday/$125 weekend to $125 weekday/$150 weekend, and they don't even serve breakfast. I think you can nudge yours up a little. Everybody in Texas is oil-rich, aren't they
wink_smile.gif

It is also well worth the expense to have a professional photography shoot your rooms..
Heck fire, PT. I have an aunt living in Tyler. I've been in your neck of the woods many times!
I have friends here who have 2 cottages on the river. They opened fall of last year. Their business has been so good, they've just raised their rates from $100 weekday/$125 weekend to $125 weekday/$150 weekend, and they don't even serve breakfast. I think you can nudge yours up a little. Everybody in Texas is oil-rich, aren't they
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
wink_smile.gif
Around here they're just oily.
confused_smile.gif
We're probably where we can stand to be on rates for the moment anyway. We are in discussions to raise our price on single nights then offer a discount for booking more than one night. Single nighters are the pits.

wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
wink_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
We're probably where we can stand to be on rates for the moment anyway. We are in discussions to raise our price on single nights then offer a discount for booking more than one night. Single nighters are the pits.
PT your photos are excellent...makes me want to get on a plane right now. I really love your "About the Innkeepers" as well, it's charming.

wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
wink_smile.gif
confused_smile.gif
PT your photos are excellent...makes me want to get on a plane right now. I really love your "About the Innkeepers" as well, it's charming.
Don Draper said:
Thank you. You all would be most welcome! DD, I don't know if you were here when I launched my current website in the early summer, but all my photos on my old website were taken by me with a Canon Elph. They sucked.
Guests frequently remarked that "your photos on the website don't do this place justice". So, I bit the bullet and hired a photographer. We're very please with what she provided. I've noticed that most guest take pictures of everything around here, so I'm comptemplating creating a special page where they can post some of them.

PT yeah I love that effect. i bookmarked it. Thinking about the pro photos.
Arkansawyer, thanks. I did not notice that I had dropped the words about clicking here to see more photos or some such. The other stuff. Yep, I watched that tutorial on taking photos so I have some great ideas on that now. :)

PT yeah I love that effect. i bookmarked it. Thinking about the pro photos.
Arkansawyer, thanks. I did not notice that I had dropped the words about clicking here to see more photos or some such. The other stuff. Yep, I watched that tutorial on taking photos so I have some great ideas on that now. :).
If you go that route, let me know if you need help with the coding.

I agree with nearly everything everyone has said.
A couple of suggestions.
  • On the rooms page isolate the price from the rest of the room description.
  • Take that great amenity comparison chart and out it right on the page instead of popping it open. It is important info, don't make them work for it. Add two columns to it and plug in the room rates too. Make it easier for people to connect the dots about what they need.
  • Work on your page titles.
  • This
    <!-- saved from url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail -->
    should not be the first line of code on each page... remove it. It is not on all your pages.
  • You can get rid of these too
<META http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">
<META name="revisit-after" content="60 days">
<META name="robots" content="all">
<meta name="copyright" content="1995 - 2004">
<META name="publisher" content="ABC">
<META name="author" content="ABC">

Hey everyone thanks. Looks like one little change got some bookings but there are so many great ideas. I need to clean up the text obviously and move some stuff around etc. Thanks again!
PS We are serisouly discussing hiring a pro to photograph. I watched that video on how to photograph a B&B, and I did the exact opposite of what they suggested. I Got as far back as possible to give the most view. ooops.

Back