Out of practice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
How quickly we forget all of the 'little things'. No guests for 6-7 weeks and we need to be completely retrained. After missing a guest's b'day this week you'd think I would learn! No. Totally prepped breakfast for tomorrow and guest walks in and says, 'About breakfast and the email I sent...' So we've made something she can't eat and they told us a week ago. Forgot to put the wine glasses in the room. Holy cow. I feel so stupid right now.

It happens to me, too, and I don't go as long (i.e., only a week or two, not 6-7!).
Oh well... welcome back to the flow!
=)
Kk.

where are your old cheat sheets?
wink_smile.gif

oh!! how about this? i was supposed to be off two nites and my son gave someone a room on the second nite. and i had told him it was okay. i got in the door about 6 pm, 3 hours past regular checkin, had a bubble bath, a little after 7 i was wandering around the place in nightgown and slippers, making tea, when the guests arrived at the door. their reaction was 'we are so sorry we are late, we got lost' ... yes 3 to 7 was regular checkin, but i wouldn't just get ready for bed if someone was late!
got them checked in, all cozy. me embarrassed ... but, phew. curled up with a book on the couch then jumped up like a shot! what the heck was i making for breakfast!?
it all worked out and they left this lovely review in the guest book about how 'at home' they felt. no wonder, with a loonie innkeeper wandering around the place in her nightgown!
embaressed_smile.gif

Thank you for this thread. It has not been that long, but it was long enough that I decided to get up a bit earlier that I usually do. It was nice doing a relaxed breakfast prep instead of the bing, bing, bing. I will do that today as I fix a dinner for them, soup for DH for the 5 days I am going to be gone, a batch of Gillum Rolls for Tuesday morning and while I am gone, and the breakfast he will be serving Tuesday morning.
Today is also clean out the car (my passenger reminded me she always overpacks so will have a LOT of luggage) and put my suitcase (already packed yesterday) and brochures bag into the car so all I will have to grab in the morning is my travel kit and pillow! I cannot believe I am getting so organized in my old age!

wink_smile.gif

oh!! how about this? i was supposed to be off two nites and my son gave someone a room on the second nite. and i had told him it was okay. i got in the door about 6 pm, 3 hours past regular checkin, had a bubble bath, a little after 7 i was wandering around the place in nightgown and slippers, making tea, when the guests arrived at the door. their reaction was 'we are so sorry we are late, we got lost' ... yes 3 to 7 was regular checkin, but i wouldn't just get ready for bed if someone was late!
got them checked in, all cozy. me embarrassed ... but, phew. curled up with a book on the couch then jumped up like a shot! what the heck was i making for breakfast!?
it all worked out and they left this lovely review in the guest book about how 'at home' they felt. no wonder, with a loonie innkeeper wandering around the place in her nightgown!
embaressed_smile.gif
Naw, no cheat sheets. We never had them except for answering the phone. I think I made it better by bringing a nice tray with the glasses & opener AND flowers to their room while they were out for dinner. AND, we made her favorite breakfast this morning, totally by accident. And, I never GOT the email telling me she couldn't eat whatever. I have all the other emails from her but that one.

wink_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif
Naw, no cheat sheets. We never had them except for answering the phone. I think I made it better by bringing a nice tray with the glasses & opener AND flowers to their room while they were out for dinner. AND, we made her favorite breakfast this morning, totally by accident. And, I never GOT the email telling me she couldn't eat whatever. I have all the other emails from her but that one.
'I never GOT the email telling me she couldn't eat whatever'
See it wasn't you afterall. Sounds like all is well...good.
This weekend has been crazy....only way to fill up for this weekend was to go single nights this year. I have not had a revolving door in a long time so I was out of practice too. Had wheat alergy for one, milk alergy for another and one could only eat 'fake' eggs. Not an easy morning this morning. But this mornings breakfast was 2 shy of what we were to have.
Friday night fright hit our B&B....as I posted on the Friday the 13th thread, we had a very intoxicated guest arrive last evening. This was to be a last minute 'romantic' night for his G'friend. Well the night started with me overhearing him curse at her to watch HER mouth in this fine establishment. She seemed to be a shy little thing, mainly scared of him. Then it went all down hill from there. I had informed them when showing them the room that we have a 10PM to 8AM 'quiet time', basicly meaning that they are to be considerate of the other guests by keeping voices and TV to regular levels while in their room as well as when on the balcony. NOTE: even tho this is a 'rule of the house' I normally do not feel the need tell anyone this. But this guy was the exception and I knew it. Later in the evening, I heard his fowel mouth on the balcony and was trying to come up with the words and the guts to go up and handle it. I thought I would have a easier time getting him to tone down than DH as he may just want to pick a fight. (Yes, this guy was classy!)
Just as was getting up, he rushed down carrying some of their things - almost yelling 'we're checking out'. Well that is a relief, we had discussed the need to stay up. He came back in, still no sign of her, and I asked 'something wrong?" He said the place was great, just the person was not. He headed back up and she came down. Now I normally do not get into private things but I was conserned with her safety. He was so drunk I was very afraid of him getting sick, or damaging our property. She said she was fine and that she was driving. She seemed relieved to be leaving - we were too.
Checked the room and the odor of booze was everywhere along with some strong lingering odor of Italian salami. Found that they had spilled the booze on the glass table and it had dripped to the carpet. I cleaned ti up and stripped the room last night. Did a spot cleaning of the carpet so it could dry and did a major Fabreze of everything in the room. This morning some of the odor was lingering....so more heavy cleaning. So very glad they left, what would I have done to prepare for today's guests otherwise.

That's awful. Glad they left!
However, I was amused at this line, which I believe would make a good title for a chapter of your book - should you ever write one on your experiences as an innkeeper:
"Checked the room and the odor of booze was everywhere along with some strong lingering odor of Italian salami."

However, I was amused at this line, which I believe would make a good title for a chapter of your book - should you ever write one on your experiences as an innkeeper:
"Checked the room and the odor of booze was everywhere along with some strong lingering odor of Italian salami." .
JBJ - LOL
omg_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

"Checked the room and the odor of booze was everywhere along with some strong lingering odor of Italian salami." .
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
"Checked the room and the odor of booze was everywhere along with some strong lingering odor of Italian salami."
It WOULD make a great opening line, wouldn't it? Except you'd be expecting it to be a Sam Spade thriller.

Back