Outdoor shoes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, this is one of the things I know I am going to have to get over, and fast. I have a friend who, no matter how many times I've asked her to remove her shoes when she enters my home in the winter or if there are shoes by the door, will march in with salt, mud and snow still attached and put her feet up on my leather sofa. Makes me stiffen up and cringe every time and DH just laughs at me..
IF she is a friend she will keep her feet on the floor. IF she doesn't keep her feet on the floor, you have every right to request that she remove her feet from your sofa. IF she does not, what have you lost if she takes offense. A real friend, respects the property of friends - inluding sofas.

Oh, this is one of the things I know I am going to have to get over, and fast. I have a friend who, no matter how many times I've asked her to remove her shoes when she enters my home in the winter or if there are shoes by the door, will march in with salt, mud and snow still attached and put her feet up on my leather sofa. Makes me stiffen up and cringe every time and DH just laughs at me..
stephanie said:
Oh, this is one of the things I know I am going to have to get over, and fast. I have a friend who, no matter how many times I've asked her to remove her shoes when she enters my home in the winter or if there are shoes by the door, will march in with salt, mud and snow still attached and put her feet up on my leather sofa. Makes me stiffen up and cringe every time and DH just laughs at me.
Maybe she has bunions and is embarrassed. Honestly, if someone doesn't wish to, then that needs to be respected. Feet can be pretty ugly sometimes.
But on the same token she needs to respect YOUR place and not track mud and her big old bunions all over your leather sofa!
Oh, she doesn't mind and I never insist. I keep a basket of slippers by the door and there's often a row of shoes that have been removed by other guests. She just doesn't notice until she's reminded somehow. Funny, guess it's just one of things some people don't think to do, unless it's their own home and their own stuff.
I'm going to change that mindset when we get our B&B I imagine. I sometimes keep my shoes on in hotel rooms, or if the floors look iffy, so I'd never expect guests to take theirs off. Aside from the furniture, I just mind more that shoes have been where my bare feet want to go, but all shoes v. all bare doesn't make much difference to me.

IF she is a friend she will keep her feet on the floor. IF she doesn't keep her feet on the floor, you have every right to request that she remove her feet from your sofa. IF she does not, what have you lost if she takes offense. A real friend, respects the property of friends - inluding sofas.
Oh, you sound more upset that I was! Now I'm worried I hit a nerve. I never know what to say in those situations, but at least I can find it somewhat amusing, even my internal reaction, after the fact. I think I'm too uptight about cleanliness. I also keep a small vac around if she's visiting for a meal.
embaressed_smile.gif

But thanks to this forum, I now am quite certain that none of my family/valuable belongings are going in guest areas, and that the best thing for my sanity is to treat everything out there as if it is temporary, washable, and regularly replaced. Can't go around resenting guests for tracking dirt onto my treasured furniture/rugs!

We have a "no shoes" policy, but in our environment, it is customary. The age-old tradition is mostly out of respect for the yacht, a tradition that still carries through today.
We also have white carpet. :) The dirt and oil tracked in just from walking the docks back when were were still remodeling, left a nice black path through the vessel and it looked as if someone had rebuilt an engine on the floor here and there. We knew we were going to replace the flooring when we were done. Where there are teak & holly floors, no one wants high heels or hard soles scuffing up or denting the 10 or so layers of varnish.
There is a ton of pride in a well maintained yacht that is usually equal to number of hours of hard labor it take just to keep up with it. Thus, shoes are never allowed. We keep a basket on the aft deck for the shoes.

Oh, you sound more upset that I was! Now I'm worried I hit a nerve. I never know what to say in those situations, but at least I can find it somewhat amusing, even my internal reaction, after the fact. I think I'm too uptight about cleanliness. I also keep a small vac around if she's visiting for a meal.
embaressed_smile.gif

But thanks to this forum, I now am quite certain that none of my family/valuable belongings are going in guest areas, and that the best thing for my sanity is to treat everything out there as if it is temporary, washable, and regularly replaced. Can't go around resenting guests for tracking dirt onto my treasured furniture/rugs!
I am not upset, it is not my couch and none of my friends would put their shod feet on my furniture because they are my friends and know better.
It has nothing to do with clean freak - it has everything to do with respect. I am old school - us ancient folks are big on respect for people and property.

embaressed_smile.gif

I am not upset, it is not my couch and none of my friends would put their shod feet on my furniture because they are my friends and know better.
It has nothing to do with clean freak - it has everything to do with respect. I am old school - us ancient folks are big on respect for people and property.
Haha. Respect isn't limited to the "ancient" but maybe that's why I get along better with the earlier generations.
Could also be regional. I know some folks who I'd venture to say are older than you
wink_smile.gif
and act the same way with their shod feet and wandering crumb-dropping. But I never think it's purposefully disrespectful, just not something everyone notices.

embaressed_smile.gif

Haha. Respect isn't limited to the "ancient" but maybe that's why I get along better with the earlier generations.
Could also be regional. I know some folks who I'd venture to say are older than you
wink_smile.gif
and act the same way with their shod feet and wandering crumb-dropping. But I never think it's purposefully disrespectful, just not something everyone notices.
stephanie said:
wink_smile.gif
And never forget some people are just pigs. They don't even know they are doing it.

stephanie said:
Oh, this is one of the things I know I am going to have to get over, and fast. I have a friend who, no matter how many times I've asked her to remove her shoes when she enters my home in the winter or if there are shoes by the door, will march in with salt, mud and snow still attached and put her feet up on my leather sofa. Makes me stiffen up and cringe every time and DH just laughs at me.
Maybe she has bunions and is embarrassed. Honestly, if someone doesn't wish to, then that needs to be respected. Feet can be pretty ugly sometimes.
But on the same token she needs to respect YOUR place and not track mud and her big old bunions all over your leather sofa!
Oh, she doesn't mind and I never insist. I keep a basket of slippers by the door and there's often a row of shoes that have been removed by other guests. She just doesn't notice until she's reminded somehow. Funny, guess it's just one of things some people don't think to do, unless it's their own home and their own stuff.
I'm going to change that mindset when we get our B&B I imagine. I sometimes keep my shoes on in hotel rooms, or if the floors look iffy, so I'd never expect guests to take theirs off. Aside from the furniture, I just mind more that shoes have been where my bare feet want to go, but all shoes v. all bare doesn't make much difference to me.
I am a feet putter upper. However, I do take my shoes off before I put my feet on anyone's furniture. If in a 'new' location, I will not put my feet on the furiture. But, if I was your friend, and used to going to your house, my feet would be up. Shoes off. I am horribly uncomfortable trying to sit and relax with my feet firmly planted on the floor.

stephanie said:
I am a feet putter upper. However, I do take my shoes off before I put my feet on anyone's furniture. If in a 'new' location, I will not put my feet on the furiture. But, if I was your friend, and used to going to your house, my feet would be up. Shoes off. I am horribly uncomfortable trying to sit and relax with my feet firmly planted on the floor.
That was my point - a friend would have removed shoes first. REmoving shoes before curling up on a piece of furniture shows consideration - perhaps that is the word I should have used rahter than respect - but they really go hand-in-hand.

Our place is in Hawaii so it is customary to remove shoes before entering someones home or place of business. I do not ask directly but I have a cute sign at the entrance of every guest room that says something like "Please remove shoes, hawaiian custom - Mahalo", or "Please remove shoes but no take betta ones when you leave". It leaves it up to the guests. I would never confront a guest if they did not remove their shoes because they are probably embarrassed or just oblivious.
It is an amazing difference in the cleaning chore when they do remove shoes and the theory is that when you leave your shoes at the door you leave your problems there too.

stephanie said:
Maybe she is like me I have had foot surgery and it is very uncomfortable for me to go barefooted. If I need to remove my shoes I would like to be told ahead of time so I can bring slippers. I even sleep with clean socks on always.
I don't like people to go with out shoes at my place because I have seen some pretty funky feet that smell. I would rather not have foot odor or foot sweat on my rugs. Foot oil attracts dirt too. Boy I must have a thing against bare feet. JMHO :)
Well second thought if I were on a farm I would take them off and put slippers on.

we had guests from ... let me think ... he was from germany .. she was from italy and they live in rome. she said they always take off their shoes at home so where would i like them to put their shoes near the front door. this caused a little pause as i tried to figure a place where there shoes could go. so i moved the umbrella stand which is an old ice tub out of the corner near the door and replaced it with a course foot scraper kind of rug so they could put their shoes on it. it was very wet out and i was actually glad not to have the chunks of wet grass and leaves that cling to shoes dropping off around the house. later on i noticed four more pairs of shoes lined up there ... other guests coming in i guess saw the shoes and decided to follow suit.

we had guests from ... let me think ... he was from germany .. she was from italy and they live in rome. she said they always take off their shoes at home so where would i like them to put their shoes near the front door. this caused a little pause as i tried to figure a place where there shoes could go. so i moved the umbrella stand which is an old ice tub out of the corner near the door and replaced it with a course foot scraper kind of rug so they could put their shoes on it. it was very wet out and i was actually glad not to have the chunks of wet grass and leaves that cling to shoes dropping off around the house. later on i noticed four more pairs of shoes lined up there ... other guests coming in i guess saw the shoes and decided to follow suit..
I've had little kids sit down on the steps and take off their shoes. When told by their parents (in a shocked, OMG, the dirty floors kind of tone) it wasn't necessary to do that the kids looked totally confused. They looked in the door, saw a 'house' not a 'hotel' and went immeidately into 'home' mode, which meant taking shoes off.

Back