Outdoor sign graphic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I'm starting to toy around with a layout for a sign that will hang outside my guesthouse, and I can't come up with a good graphic image to put on the sign. I found a bed (see image below) but I don't really like it as it is a bit more rustic that the image I'd like to create for the place. I think having an image on the sign adds a lot to the look, but I'm stuck on what image to use. Does anybody have any suggestions?
sign.jpg

Get a professional to do this! How many times have you seen a sign that you can not read from the street? I can not tell you how many times I have seen signs on buildings, on cars (magnets) etc. that I can not read. I am sure they looked great on the monitor, but once they are created as a sign...
  1. the words are too small;
  2. there is too much info;
  3. too much going on;
  4. bad font.
Show them where you want to put the sign and who (people driving by, people walking by) you want to see it.

Thanks, copperhead. That's just the kind of advice I need. It helps, though, that I'm on the town square, right at a stop light. Nobody will EVER drive by my place going faster than 5 MPH. I have researched letter sizes based on distances and speeds, but will get professional advice before actually making a sign.
I've seen a lot of signs in England (pubs, accommodations) that have similar signs on downtown streets.
The "too much information" won't be such a problem, I think, because the smaller info is for pedestrians to read from the sidewalk, not people passing in cars. I think all the drivers need to see is "St. Charles" so they can find the place they're looking for.
Thanks again! Excellent advice!

"but will get professional advice before actually making a sign."
why are you asking the forum then? Just wondering.
wink_smile.gif

Too much information, keep it simple, it is too busy. 86 the image, a logo is good on a sign, not an image.

"but will get professional advice before actually making a sign."
wink_smile.gif

Too much information, keep it simple, it is too busy. 86 the image, a logo is good on a sign, not an image..
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Of course, reading my original post, I was only asking the forum for help finding a better image to put on the sign. But I'm thankful for any other suggestions y'all might give.

Adding my two cents. Not being mean but I would define it more. I have also felt a need to give too much info. It is a sign and not a website so no need to keywood stuff. Also why not add the phone number? Name and phone number and hopefully the name says what it is.
I kind of like the image. Would making it monochorme help make it classier?

don't think I would put B&B and Guesthouse and I'd loose the date but I would definately put on your phone number with all the didgts for people who have mobiles. I have lost count of the times people sit outside ringing you from their car if you have rooms. I would also consider in your over all plan a way of showing if you have no vacancies cos you get pestered to death with people who want a room and you don't have one. If you are having a modern trendy place I would go for a more modern or stylised pic.

ark1.jpg
some thing like this? I just put into Google drawings of beds and it came up with tons of stuff

Also learn from mistakes I have watched others make - 1 the fountains Dave had a beautiful sign made dark blue and gold looked amazing - couldn't be read at night just looked like a huge black sign. If your sign is not going to be illuminated then make sure the colours really contrast.
- ours is dark blue and cream really simple you can see it from really far away.
2 - Using a fussy font as you are wizzing past in your car you have to be able to read it - example the Welford really ornate script I could barely read it as I walked past slowly on foot.
3 - for preference don't have it where people can touch it - welford had stuff scrawled on it in marker pen was a fricking nightmare to get it off.

See and I liked the date. But where i am nothing is that old so maybe that is why.
In my head I keep trying to justify the website versus a phone number. Smart phones are everywhere but it is still not the norm, yet. Ok it is over 50%. Maybe just the website would work.

I really appreciate the comments from all. I have an advantage in that both my buildings are old commercial buildings, meaning they have lots of glass in front where I can put phone numbers, web address, etc. And the building front is only a sidewalk's width from the street with 5 MPH speed limit, making text easier to read.
So I can greatly simplify the sign that hangs out from the building above the sidewalk, giving just the name, then put the other info on the windows below.
I think the tradition of putting images on signs goes back to the middle ages when most people were illiterate--no Arkansas or Ozarks comments, please :)
Shoe cobblers would put a shoe on their sign. Inns would put a bed on their sign. Taverns would put a glass of foamy beer. People who couldn't read could still know what type stores were along the street.

Sorry Arkie, when you said Graphic, I took that to mean the entire sign as a graphic.

I just looked at our sign. No phone number. hmmm.
toddburme said:
I just looked at our sign. No phone number. hmmm
Yes, I think it's a good point that people in this era might call for a reservation from their car right in front of the inn, to make sure you're there before they bother to get out of the car and walk up to the front door!
By the way, Todd, our town has Arkansas' only quilt trail, with 4' x 8' images of 59 local quilts attached to buildings around our commercial historic district.
http://www.5rhp.org/quilt_trail.htm

I suppose the smart phone people would jsut look it up and the rest of them would use 411 or whatever it is these days.

I suppose the smart phone people would jsut look it up and the rest of them would use 411 or whatever it is these days..
toddburme said:
I suppose the smart phone people would jsut look it up and the rest of them would use 411 or whatever it is these days.
Yeah, but you know people. For a lot of them, if they have to go to the trouble to look it up, they'll just drive on. I used to wonder why businesses always gave their phone number in radio and newspaper ads, since people could always look them up in the phone book. But businesses know that not everybody will go to the trouble.

I suppose the smart phone people would jsut look it up and the rest of them would use 411 or whatever it is these days..
toddburme said:
Yeah, but you know people. For a lot of them, if they have to go to the trouble to look it up, they'll just drive on. I used to wonder why businesses always gave their phone number in radio and newspaper ads, since people could always look them up in the phone book. But businesses know that not everybody will go to the trouble.
Anachronism of the day... "Phone Book"
They still deliver one, right to my recycling box.

Before deciding WHAT to put on the sign, check to see if there are size limitations in the zoning code of your city - IF they have a zoning code that is. I agree make it so it can be seen at night easily by blind old ladies like me. Make it a guest house or a b & b, not both. A 4-poster is much more discernible as a graphic of a bed IMO.

No offence to be taken, please, but Arky, I think you've got A LOT going on with your biz name: B&B, Guesthouse, AND luxury suites. For the sake of your sign (space, attention spans, and general wordiness), pick one and go with it. They don't exclude each other, but it's a lot for a sign.

We found a local graphic artist to do our logo and are super happy with it. Your sign or logo should be done by a professional in my book. It's too important to try and do by yourself or it will look just that - amateur. It's the same reason you don't have some kid in high school design your website.
To me a Guesthouse is more of a homestay. So to have that along with "luxury suites" is confusing.
Riki

Back