Outsourcing breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
We stayed at a nice little B&B on the central coast in California, that was owned by a restaurant. They gave you a voucher for breakfast and you could order up to $30 of menu items at the restaurant, which was a really nice place, beautiful view of the ocean, right on the water, fine dining... We thought it was really neat and the food was incredible. We were skeptical about it at first, having never encountered that situation at a B&B, but ended up very pleased.
Have you ever thought of outsourcing your breakfast like this, maybe even just on weekdays? Maybe for those of you who are working jobs outside the inn, who have a nice place in town?

Hmmm, never seriously considered it, but every once in a while hubby grump
chef.gif
gets testy with me after finding out about early breakfast or dietary restrictions and says "Why don't I just leave $5 on the table and they can go to McDonalds??" Like I'm going to let him out of his one and only duty at the Inn!
Did the rate you paid seem to support a $30.00 voucher? I know our food cost is about 10% or so per room, but I have no idea how that stacks up to anyone else....

Wonderful plan. There is a terrific restaurant on the lake that I would send guests to in a pinch.

I think it's a good plan, too; however, I would make it more like, "Pick One" list the choices, "Pick One" choices, then finally "Pick One/Two" listing beverages, the main dish and then a side or two. I'd rather not do the actual money voucher, just a specialized menu.

If this is done, I would hope they would have it clearly stated on their website and during all calls. We stayed in one B&B that had a restaurant on the first floor. The restaurant was only used for B&B guests in the AM so that was fine by me. If it had been open to the public, I would have not been as happy as I feel a restaurant is more impersonable. IMHO This brings to mind some of the hotels we've stayed that comes with breakfast. You head down to the hotel restaurant and hand them a card - they ask 'how do you want your eggs? bacon or sausage? toast or biscuit? Next thing it is set before you with a cup of joe and they are off to handle another one...never to be seen again.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I will however keep this in mind IF ever I am unable to be here again - DH hates to cook (and it shows & well as tastes like it) so I think I would make it seem like a special treat and work out a deal with a restaurant in the area before leaving him to do it alone again. We were not prepared the last time and had to wing it, maybe if we are prepared, nothing will happen.

I've given people money and sent them out for breakfast once when I was ill. I think they were happy that I sent them out rather than share my germs.

I offered to do it once when a transformer blew out at 6:45 a.m. just outside the Inn. Once I got coffee from our local bakery, we called our diner just a few blocks away and arranged for everyone to eat on our tab. I gave them that option or a continental here - I had fruit, muffins, cereal, yogurt on hand anyway - everyone chose to stay. I was panicked but it turned out fine. And they were done with breakfast and off by 8:30 a.m.!

If this is done, I would hope they would have it clearly stated on their website and during all calls. We stayed in one B&B that had a restaurant on the first floor. The restaurant was only used for B&B guests in the AM so that was fine by me. If it had been open to the public, I would have not been as happy as I feel a restaurant is more impersonable. IMHO This brings to mind some of the hotels we've stayed that comes with breakfast. You head down to the hotel restaurant and hand them a card - they ask 'how do you want your eggs? bacon or sausage? toast or biscuit? Next thing it is set before you with a cup of joe and they are off to handle another one...never to be seen again.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I will however keep this in mind IF ever I am unable to be here again - DH hates to cook (and it shows & well as tastes like it) so I think I would make it seem like a special treat and work out a deal with a restaurant in the area before leaving him to do it alone again. We were not prepared the last time and had to wing it, maybe if we are prepared, nothing will happen..
I was hired as a consultant about a possible B & B in Kentucky last year. They had no kitchen OR dining room in the house that had been in restoration for 4 years at that point and was not done yet. It was beautiful but they also owned the name hotel across the parking lot and had planned to roll a hot cart across with breakfast. better than nothing but where are they going to eat it? Turned out there was a space in the name hotel that was of undertermined use at that time. I suggested a very exclusive - reservation only and only 2 seatings per night with menu of the evening published monthly - book online only and have it open in the AM ONLY for the guests at the Guest House (I told them it was not a B & B). There was no Fine Dining establishment for miles around and only one restaurant in town that was not "fast food". I told them after looking for a restaurant the night before they needed a "Nice" restaurant - something other than Italian! I do not know if they ever did it.

Outsourcing breakfast would be giving away the farm. (Unless you owned the restaurant like in this case). Breakfast out is LOUSY MOST EVERY WHERE nothing like a BnB breakfast.

I have a client who does this because she works and can't actually fix breakfast. They get a voucher to a nearby restaurant..which is like a 50's diner!!! I warned her about this...and a year now after opening...she has had very little in the way of guests. I truly believe this is one reason and I told her so again. People come to stay at a B & B for the personal touch and personal service and duh...breakfast. Take that away and what do you get????? in her case...no guests.

I agree with the earlier statement that any such establishment that does this is NOT a Bed and Breakfast. DW and I have hated these kinds of places whenever we travel.
There's a place in South Central Texas called Fredricksburg that is very touristy and has more than its share of B&Bs. Many of these have absentee owners and many do don't serve breakfast nor do they have a host. Some provide vouchers and others provide the morning meal by putting the fixings in a refrigerator for you to heat in a microwave. This is hardly a B&B experience.
Breakfast is one half of the Bed and Breakfast equation. It hardly makes sense to exclude it from the package.

My point was, the place we went to was REALLY nice and the food was GREAT, it was also nice to walk down by the ocean in the morning to the outdoor patio at the restaurant. If you had to do it, this was the way to do it. I was suggesting it as an option maybe for weekdays, for those who are doing too much, as in full time jobs on top of an inn, and save the full homestyle brekkie for weekend or peak weekdays....I am not suggesting sending them to Lenny's, people, geez.

I agree with the earlier statement that any such establishment that does this is NOT a Bed and Breakfast. DW and I have hated these kinds of places whenever we travel.
There's a place in South Central Texas called Fredricksburg that is very touristy and has more than its share of B&Bs. Many of these have absentee owners and many do don't serve breakfast nor do they have a host. Some provide vouchers and others provide the morning meal by putting the fixings in a refrigerator for you to heat in a microwave. This is hardly a B&B experience.
Breakfast is one half of the Bed and Breakfast equation. It hardly makes sense to exclude it from the package..
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast is one half of the Bed and Breakfast equation. It hardly makes sense to exclude it from the package.
We have had a number of guests who tell us just that, the packaged continentals in FLA and other places. Some are due to health dept restrictions - no commercial kitchen - no cooking for guests. But they would never say that in advance or lose bookings. The second B is important!!!!

My point was, the place we went to was REALLY nice and the food was GREAT, it was also nice to walk down by the ocean in the morning to the outdoor patio at the restaurant. If you had to do it, this was the way to do it. I was suggesting it as an option maybe for weekdays, for those who are doing too much, as in full time jobs on top of an inn, and save the full homestyle brekkie for weekend or peak weekdays....I am not suggesting sending them to Lenny's, people, geez..
Willowpondgj said:
My point was, the place we went to was REALLY nice and the food was GREAT, it was also nice to walk down by the ocean in the morning to the outdoor patio at the restaurant. If you had to do it, this was the way to do it. I was suggesting it as an option maybe for weekdays, for those who are doing too much, as in full time jobs on top of an inn, and save the full homestyle brekkie for weekend or peak weekdays....I am not suggesting sending them to Lenny's, people, geez.
We don't even have a lenny's...we have much much worse here. I wish we had a lenny's.
tounge_smile.gif

I have stayed in other countries where this was the case and I didn't mind at all.

My point was, the place we went to was REALLY nice and the food was GREAT, it was also nice to walk down by the ocean in the morning to the outdoor patio at the restaurant. If you had to do it, this was the way to do it. I was suggesting it as an option maybe for weekdays, for those who are doing too much, as in full time jobs on top of an inn, and save the full homestyle brekkie for weekend or peak weekdays....I am not suggesting sending them to Lenny's, people, geez..
I am glad you enjoyed it and it was a pleasent experience for you. It is a good option for those working outside the B&B or for times of real need. I would however make sure it is CLEARLY stated on your website etc. if this is the case.
In our neighboring big city, there is a law that no B&B can serve a full breakfast, only continental. One of our innkeeper friends says that they get grief all the time about this. He has this clearly stated on line and if they call to book it is gone over then too. Still people complain, they want that second B as they have pictured in their minds. - Hot breakfast served in the dining room by a charming, smiling innkeeper.

Yes your case may be an exception..but still....B & B usually means breakfast done in house by the innkeeper.

I agree, BUT as WillowPond said in the very beginning this restaurant was PART OF THE INN, they were NOT sending anyone down the road nor were they saying this is what you get. She was able to choose what she wanted - anything she wanted - and the first $30 of the bill was covered.
Yes, that is a thought for those emergency situations when we are unable to do breakfast. There was one time the Lions Club was doing a pancake breakfast and I stated clearly to guests booking for that night before Breakfast was going to be at the Lions Club Breakfast - the innkeeper was cooking there..... I just wish I had a lovely alternative to send guests to....

Charleston SC Inns are not allowed to cook breakfast....
Little Blue said:
Charleston SC Inns are not allowed to cook breakfast...
And not a single one of them tells you you won't be getting a 'real' breakfast. I've had my fill of Costco muffins and eating breakfast in the laundry room.

Back