Overslept!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I hate when this happens. It was 10 of 8 when I woke up this morning. Ugh. Race around to shower, dress and get out to get tables set up. Too late, guests already seated. No OJ in me as I try to serve breakfast in 3 different languages. Gulping OJ every time I go into the kitchen. Guests laughing and then playing tricks on me. 'Oh, no, I wanted the other juice.' And everyone laughing. Me saying, 'Just you wait until I have a full glass of OJ! I'm taking away all your coffee if you keep it up!'

I overslept a couple weeks ago - and I am the cook! I got lucky and it all worked out (and I cannot remember why - either because of old age or because this place has been such a zoo for the last few weeks).

nightmare!
i always set the tables the nite before - even when i really, really don't want to. i actually set them up in early evening most of the time. it helps so much in the morning to have this already done. can you do this?

nightmare!
i always set the tables the nite before - even when i really, really don't want to. i actually set them up in early evening most of the time. it helps so much in the morning to have this already done. can you do this?.
i always set the tables the nite before - even when i really, really don't want to.
That has been a lifesaver more often than not for me. When I do not do that, I live to regret it.

nightmare!
i always set the tables the nite before - even when i really, really don't want to. i actually set them up in early evening most of the time. it helps so much in the morning to have this already done. can you do this?.
i always set the tables the nite before - even when i really, really don't want to.
That has been a lifesaver more often than not for me. When I do not do that, I live to regret it.
gillumhouse said:
I too set the table the night before...I too overslept 2 days agao. The radio station to which we wake up was out, so there was no sound. I serve breakfast at 8:00 AM and woke up at 7:58 AM !!!!
whattha.gif

I up and ran out in my Robe, appologizing to the guests. At least Coffee was on......what did I do?
2 couples were not in a hurry and I thre together scrambled eggs, sausage and waffles ( thank god I made a ton of waffles the day before and froze them ). The other couple had to leave so I called ahead to a local restaurant and told them I would pick up the tab later.
I won't do that again....most expensive breakfasts on the menu times 2 .....
If sometjing llike this will ever happen again and I send guests to the restaurant, I made $10.00 off coupons , per couple, not per person, for them to take to the restaurant. Otherwise they can grab a bowl of cereal. I did give them the choice.
But heck, all was good at the end. :)

nightmare!
I can but what happens a lot is that guests use the tables in the evening and half the silverware is missing or the tables are dirty and have to be cleaned off anyway. But maybe I could set half the tables to get a head start!

nightmare!
I can but what happens a lot is that guests use the tables in the evening and half the silverware is missing or the tables are dirty and have to be cleaned off anyway. But maybe I could set half the tables to get a head start!
I know they ignore your STOP with the kitchen, but funny thing is, people are conditioned (museums, antique shops) to obey rope lines. Have you consudered setting those half of your tables and putting up a Section Closed?

oh dear! guests taking stuff off the set tables is not cool.
i guess i'd have to see the setup to understand. do they use the breakfast area as a common sitting area, is that why?
when i say 'set', i mean silverware and napkin at each place setting. flower vases, s&p, etc. in center. tent cards on each table saying what the breakfast cook's choice is for the next morning. the plates i brought to the tables as i served. i didn't do fancy glassware, so that would be a whole other issue.
glasses and mugs for coffee and juices were all self serve, upside down on a long buffet table. this i carefully draped with tablecloths after setting it up mid-afternoon because i didn't want folks seeing those things and taking them away before morning. it also kept any dust or bugs off.

I hate it when that happens! If I oversleep I feel out of sorts for the rest of the day. Like I'm always playing catch-up. I try to set the tables the night before too, but if I don't get to it I usually don't sleep well and have dreams all night about oversleeping.

nightmare!
This never happened to me, but I usually don't set up until 8:00 PM or later.
If this would happen, I'd think i would make it clear in one way or another that this table is off limits once set. Even if I would have to rope it, which would make it look like a room in the museum ...haha

nightmare!
This never happened to me, but I usually don't set up until 8:00 PM or later.
If this would happen, I'd think i would make it clear in one way or another that this table is off limits once set. Even if I would have to rope it, which would make it look like a room in the museum ...haha
I usually set the table around 10 PM. By that time guests are usually settled for the night. I prefer them to be surprised with the table setting when they come down in the morning. They do not expect an elegant table setting in Podunk.

I also set the table the night before. Usually the tables are set up by 6pm for the next morning. I tell the guests that this is where breakfast is served so I think they know not to mess with it. I've not had a problem with people trying to use the table or mess anything up. I did have one guest switch my cups and glasses around because they were playing a trick on me. I'm not a morning person at all and I am in the shower at 6:45am and in the kitchen at 7am every morning. I have everything possible done the night before such as home made muffin batters and main dishes all ready to go in the fridge ready to pop in the oven. Times when the power has been out I send them to the restaurant that has a generator nearby for breakfast and only allow them to charge $20 per room for breakfast and then I will go over and pay for it. Anything more than $20 then the guest pays for that.

Oh NO!!! So sorry!! That's one of my worst nightmares!
I sometimes set the night before, and sometimes not, but it sure is a wonderful thing when I do! (To the extent I'm trying to do it every time, but sometimes I'm just too beat.)
=)
Kk.

since you work as a couple, did dh just decide to let you sleep in?? did he think (assume) you were up already? just wondering .....

oh dear! guests taking stuff off the set tables is not cool.
i guess i'd have to see the setup to understand. do they use the breakfast area as a common sitting area, is that why?
when i say 'set', i mean silverware and napkin at each place setting. flower vases, s&p, etc. in center. tent cards on each table saying what the breakfast cook's choice is for the next morning. the plates i brought to the tables as i served. i didn't do fancy glassware, so that would be a whole other issue.
glasses and mugs for coffee and juices were all self serve, upside down on a long buffet table. this i carefully draped with tablecloths after setting it up mid-afternoon because i didn't want folks seeing those things and taking them away before morning. it also kept any dust or bugs off..
Guests eat on the porch. Because it is right where they can also get coffee & tea and because they sometimes want a table for cards that will seat 4 or they want to eat a meal they brought back from a take out joint, it really is the only place to do that. I'd rather the greasy stuff wasn't in the rooms and this gives a nice place to sit and chat and not try to balance a plate or box.
I do have a table in the living room but it only seats 2 unless someone pulls it out from the wall.
My morning set up is just napkins and silverware. The tables already have the S&P & sugars. Mornings bring out the butter and creamers, but that's it for extra stuff. Cups, glasses, etc all come with the brekkie so as to not have to wash everything if someone doesn't want coffee, juice, etc.
I guess I just have to get to bed earlier!

since you work as a couple, did dh just decide to let you sleep in?? did he think (assume) you were up already? just wondering ......
He came looking for me! He expects me at 8. At a little after he started the hunt!
And I won't be suggesting he wake me...waking me is not pleasant. He wanted to set the alarm, no thanks.

since you work as a couple, did dh just decide to let you sleep in?? did he think (assume) you were up already? just wondering ......
He came looking for me! He expects me at 8. At a little after he started the hunt!
And I won't be suggesting he wake me...waking me is not pleasant. He wanted to set the alarm, no thanks.
Bree said:
You needed the rest. Get it while you can. But waking up in a race is never fun.

As for us, we sleep in the same bed and so rise to the same alarm. Fortunately, I ALWAYS wake up about 30 minutes before the alarm. I can start the coffee, shower and shave and be dressed by the time DW is getting up. We set the table the night before and try to get as much done as we can. We can put together an "emergency" breakfast in about 10 minutes if we had to.

Yes, this is my worst nightmare too but of course I would be terribly late cooking if I overslept! I do try to get a lot prepped the night before if possible.
Luckily, we can set the table the night before & sometimes my dh will help. I try to use a different place setting everyday. We have a great advantage here in that we can actually close off the dining room from guests with big pocket doors :) Knock wood...have not had a guest open the doors up and come on in yet. But they have beverage service and mini fridges elsewhere that they can use and most rooms have some kind of table & chairs.

nightmare!
Bree said:
But maybe I could set half the tables to get a head start!
What if, at the very least, you put all your items (silverware, glasses, mugs, plates, whatever) on a tray on the countertop? You'd be that much closer to being set when you got up the next morning without the risk of them dirtying the stuff.

Back