Overwhelmed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I am reading a book that has nothing to do with innkeeping. But there was in one chapter the explanation of one of the worst damaging emotions we can experience as humans. The emotion is "OVERWHELMED." It explains how it effects every part of our life - as we feel the loss of control - it even hits us in our immune system. Typically being overwhelmed is not brought on by others or circumstances, it is usually self inflicted.
Here is a short article I just found on this topic and a favorite quote is: [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]Learn to say "no." It will be of more use to you than to be able to read Latin. -- Charles H. Spurgeon[/COLOR]
This article is printed from http://www.selfgrowthtest.com

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]TIME MANAGEMENT[/COLOR]
Feeling Overwhelmed?
By Talia Mana
Mar 18, 2004

There’s no rule that says you have to be a superhero. So much has been written about amazing individuals that achieve the impossible – they juggle fulltime jobs, study, raise children, run a household, coach the national cricket team and write a novel in their spare time. Anyone you read about that does all these things is a rare individual. And they probably forgot to tell you about the six months they spent recovering from all the exertion…
Small amounts of stress can be motivating, however high levels of stress can have the opposite effect. Common symptoms of excess stress include fatigue, feeling overwhelmed, irritability and increased susceptibility to illness.
Are you always rushing to catch up? Do you have an enormous “To Do’ list that seems to grow each day? Poor time management is a common source of anxiety and stress.
If you have trouble getting things done, invest in a time management course to help you prioritise tasks, eliminate unnecessary activities and plan your day effectively. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Be clear about what you are trying to achieve. Set personal, financial and career goals.
2. Take time at the beginning or end of each day to plan.
3. List everything you need to do and the date by which it needs to be completed.
4. Number each item in order of priority. Your highest priority items will be the ones that help you achieve your long-term goals and ambitions.
5. Delegate or lose tasks that do not help you achieve your goals and ambitions. Place a value on your time, and eliminate tasks that do not have a positive payback. For example, if you value your time at $25an hour, consider hiring someone at $12 an hour to do your housework.
6. Do one thing at a time, and see the task through to completion before starting something else. Switching between tasks can be a huge time waster.
7. Attack the tough top priority jobs first. Most people have a tendency to do all the little tasks first so they can get them out of the way. It is more effective to start with the highest priority task. Ask yourself, “What one task if completed would have the greatest positive impact on achieving my goals?” Try completing this task first.
8. Handle incoming mail once (and this includes email). Don’t keep putting it aside - make a decision and act on it immediately.
9. Set time aside each day to work or study without interruption - close the door, turn on your voice mail - do whatever it takes to make sure you can work in peace and quiet.
10. Don’t take on more than you can handle. If you can’t fit it in, say no.
11. Plan your personal time, such as playing tennis or catching up with friends. People often think that leisure activities need to be spontaneous but this isn’t true, it can be just as much fun to plan time out.
12. Plan your errands, client calls and other travel to ensure you make the best use of your time.
Find time each week to do something to nurture your soul – spend time with your children, dance, write in a journal or enjoy some guilt-free leisure. Scheduling time for relaxation will keep you motivated.
If you don’t already have a diary, put this on your shopping list today. You can use it to record your goals, appointments and also to remind you to take part in regular exercise, hobbies, family and romantic time and last but not least – fun!

Totally guilty ..... and I know it. Haven't got time to read the article right now
embaressed_smile.gif
but this could be a huge help. Thanks JBJ

I spend a lot of time overwhelmed. And then I shut down. Don't know where to start so I do nothing.

Great! One more thing to do!
tounge_smile.gif

Thank you for this, I was actually thinking about this the last few nights, this will give me a frame upon which to start my internal and external decrappification. And I think it has everything to do with innkeeping, as so many of us get lost in the whole "running of the inn", that we forget how to say no and take more time for ourselves. I am determined to start the busy season with a "plan" and not end up a wreck by the end of it! Been there, done that!

I have always tried to practice many of these tips. However, I still find it hard to say no sometimes..but I have gotten better.That's why I am off for my weekly massage today
cheers.gif

I have always had the policy of answering mail and emails immediately and sometimes that has gotten me into trouble.
I now compose some email responses and let them sit a bit...reread and edit BEFORE I send them. Once you click SEND, it is too late to take back something said :-(

Willowpond,
Thanks, another note to stick on my to do list 1) internal decrapification.
That is a perfect term!
Let's put it this way - if I don't do the internal decrapification then "look out she's gonna blow!" and that is when "it" hits the fan. Everyone in its wake gets hit with "it" and those we love get hit the worst.

So, taking one thing at a time I am off to make 84 desserts for an event tomorrow. While that sets up, I'll unload the wash. When the desserts are completely done, I'll go clean all 7 rooms in the hopes we get some guests. And get a haircut. And haul all the junk up to the attic. And finish hanging all the 'decor' items we bought when I rearranged the rooms.
Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif

We all do soooooooooo much for others, we often forget ourselves. Sometimes we need to take time to re-group and re-center. I keep forgetting that I'm no good to others if I'm totally worn out! Making lists are really helpful but sometimes the list can be overwhelming & we just need to put all the "lists" aside for a bit.
Take time to just be, even for a few minutes...that can help the overwhelmed feeling. If we can let ourselves do it
regular_smile.gif

We all do soooooooooo much for others, we often forget ourselves. Sometimes we need to take time to re-group and re-center. I keep forgetting that I'm no good to others if I'm totally worn out! Making lists are really helpful but sometimes the list can be overwhelming & we just need to put all the "lists" aside for a bit.
Take time to just be, even for a few minutes...that can help the overwhelmed feeling. If we can let ourselves do it
regular_smile.gif
While at Tipsy's last weekend there was some concern that there was no internet or cellphone service. What I said? 'It's out of my control,' and I promptly forgot that guests might want to contact me. It was wonderful. The first 'no phone, no internet' break we've had in 4 years.
Edited to add that the 'no internet' part was due to the lodge being 'closed' when we were there. The 'no cell phone' is permanent, altho we picked up a signal here and there and some folks could get text messages.

So, taking one thing at a time I am off to make 84 desserts for an event tomorrow. While that sets up, I'll unload the wash. When the desserts are completely done, I'll go clean all 7 rooms in the hopes we get some guests. And get a haircut. And haul all the junk up to the attic. And finish hanging all the 'decor' items we bought when I rearranged the rooms.
Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif
Then it's time for a potty break ;)

I agree about being connected. Unfortunately, there is a fine line between being "connected" and being "tied". I sometimes think of my computer and cell as "tying" me down instead of keeping me "connected"

regular_smile.gif
While at Tipsy's last weekend there was some concern that there was no internet or cellphone service. What I said? 'It's out of my control,' and I promptly forgot that guests might want to contact me. It was wonderful. The first 'no phone, no internet' break we've had in 4 years.
Edited to add that the 'no internet' part was due to the lodge being 'closed' when we were there. The 'no cell phone' is permanent, altho we picked up a signal here and there and some folks could get text messages.
Yeah, we are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too connected these days. (She typed on the laptop connected via wireless...lol!)
Edited to add: As I am shopping for Smart Phones. hahahahahahahahahaha!

I have always tried to practice many of these tips. However, I still find it hard to say no sometimes..but I have gotten better.That's why I am off for my weekly massage today
cheers.gif

I have always had the policy of answering mail and emails immediately and sometimes that has gotten me into trouble.
I now compose some email responses and let them sit a bit...reread and edit BEFORE I send them. Once you click SEND, it is too late to take back something said :-(.
>>I have always had the policy of answering mail and emails immediately and sometimes that has gotten me into trouble.
I now compose some email responses and let them sit a bit...reread and edit BEFORE I send them. Once you click SEND, it is too late to take back something said
sad_smile.gif

I should do this, especially when answering to certain entities on the forum!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif
So, 3 hours later and what is done? The dessert for tomorrow, all the prep for the presentation tomorrow. Rooms are still a mess, laundry is undone but all I really had to do today was make those desserts. Pix tomorrow when it is all set up at the festival.

Should you haven't been to a wedding for a whilst, you could be in for a surprise. Gone are the days of a gaggle of girls decked out in petticoats, ruffles, and poufy sleeves. Today's bridesmaid dresses 2011 are much much more like cocktail attire . Dresses are slim, not full skirted, and most of them don't even reach the floor.Your bridesmaids should be able to move and dance effortlessly in their dresses, without feeling encumbered. designer bridesmaid dresses are surely sexier than they utilized to be.1 with the hottest necklines may be the halter,that is flattering to virtually each woman in any size. If you like the cocktail halter dress, but are getting a formal ceremony in a house of worship, matching wraps are a fantastic thought for the service. Wraps provide a more modest try to find the ceremony,and then they can be discarded for much more of a inexpensive cocktail dresses appear for the duration of the reception. The cookie cutter look is certainly out of style. Brides are permitting their attendants to customize their appear. A really well-liked notion is always to have every single girl pick separates in a designated fabric and color. That creates a appear that is coordinated,but not too matchy-matchy.It also indicates that every bridesmaid can pick the cut that is most flattering to her figure. Your attendants will thank you for that! One more top trend is for the bridesmaids to wear a range of colors. Now we are not talking about the aforementioned rainbow of pastels. Rather,the bride specifies a theme,and each attendant has the luxury of choosing a evening wear for women that she loves inside those parameters. It really is a good concept, although,for the bride to take a take a look at all the dresses prior to the wedding, because at times you'll be able to end up with one off-choice that sticks out like a sore thumb. blue cocktail dress are hot right now,such as hot black cocktail dresses, green cocktail dress, purple cocktail dresses,pink cocktail dresses,and red cocktail dressn.For Heaven's sake, exercise some frequent sense in case you are picking a very strong color, and pair it having a low key fabric like a shantung or a chiffon. A super shiny hot blue wedding dresses just isn't some thing that your bridesmaids will likely be most likely to ever wear again. Another idea is to use the vibrant color as an accent, like a sash, on a less dramatic background color. Some fabulous color combinations include aqua blue with espresso brown and kelly green with pale pink bridesmaid dresses. Your bridesmaids will have to spend a great deal of money on their wedding gown dresses. Do them a favor, and select something that they will really be pleased to wear. The best trends in green bridesmaid dresses are all geared towards dresses that are simple, contemporary, and elegant.

Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
Then I'll eat lunch.
wink_smile.gif
So, 3 hours later and what is done? The dessert for tomorrow, all the prep for the presentation tomorrow. Rooms are still a mess, laundry is undone but all I really had to do today was make those desserts. Pix tomorrow when it is all set up at the festival.
stupid spam

Back