Owning a Bed and Breakfast Now a Viable Career for Young- INN the news 09.09.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I turn 21 in May and my husband's 21st birthday was 2 weeks after we became innkeepers. The more I look into it the more it seems that we might be the youngest innkeepers in the country!

I turn 21 in May and my husband's 21st birthday was 2 weeks after we became innkeepers. The more I look into it the more it seems that we might be the youngest innkeepers in the country!.
inkypr said:
I turn 21 in May and my husband's 21st birthday was 2 weeks after we became innkeepers. The more I look into it the more it seems that we might be the youngest innkeepers in the country!
I'd have to go along with that observation! How long have you both been doing this?

I turn 21 in May and my husband's 21st birthday was 2 weeks after we became innkeepers. The more I look into it the more it seems that we might be the youngest innkeepers in the country!.
inkypr said:
I'd have to go along with that observation! How long have you both been doing this?
Only about 3 months now. We're loving it so far, but we have yet to survive a busy season, lol.

inkypr said:
Only about 3 months now. We're loving it so far, but we have yet to survive a busy season, lol.
There used to be a member here who was 19 when she started out. She's already been thru 2 inns and is now doing something inn-related but no longer an innkeeper. She used to say it was quite common for guests to ask for her parents when she greeted them!
Whereabouts, generally, are you located? Big B&B, little B&B, small town, what?

inkypr said:
There used to be a member here who was 19 when she started out. She's already been thru 2 inns and is now doing something inn-related but no longer an innkeeper. She used to say it was quite common for guests to ask for her parents when she greeted them!
LOL! We get some genuinely confused looks from people when we greet them, but they generally react positively. The best part about being young in this industry is proving to people that being young does not equal being immature or irresponsible. At least not in ALL cases.
Our B&B has 17 rooms and is located in MA. At first I thought it would be harder to operate a larger Inn, but then, when you realize the business can afford to have a full-time housekeeper and seasonal cook it actually seems easier!

inkypr said:
LOL! We get some genuinely confused looks from people when we greet them, but they generally react positively. The best part about being young in this industry is proving to people that being young does not equal being immature or irresponsible. At least not in ALL cases.
Our B&B has 17 rooms and is located in MA. At first I thought it would be harder to operate a larger Inn, but then, when you realize the business can afford to have a full-time housekeeper and seasonal cook it actually seems easier!
I guess my initial reaction to that is...did you win the lottery? I know what it cost me to buy this place (7 rooms) and I know the hassle we went thru with the bank to secure financing with relatively little business-owning experience, so I'm having a tough time picturing how you bought that in these economic times.

ROFL! We don't own the place, we manage it. The owner owns 3 other businesses and knew he wanted an Inn, but couldn't commit to the hours, so he started looking for a full-time live-in in manager and that ended up being us! I love to imagine a far off time when I can buy a place of my own, but I can't even imagine how much of a struggle it must be.

ROFL! We don't own the place, we manage it. The owner owns 3 other businesses and knew he wanted an Inn, but couldn't commit to the hours, so he started looking for a full-time live-in in manager and that ended up being us! I love to imagine a far off time when I can buy a place of my own, but I can't even imagine how much of a struggle it must be..
OK, easier to understand now! What parts of the day to day operations are you responsible for? I'm curious because several people are looking at being innkeeper-managers and I think they would be interested to know what all you are responsible for. Do you do 'everything' associated with running the business? Does the owner do 'some' of the things? How is that divided up?
Do you get a place to live along with a salary?

ROFL! We don't own the place, we manage it. The owner owns 3 other businesses and knew he wanted an Inn, but couldn't commit to the hours, so he started looking for a full-time live-in in manager and that ended up being us! I love to imagine a far off time when I can buy a place of my own, but I can't even imagine how much of a struggle it must be..
OK, easier to understand now! What parts of the day to day operations are you responsible for? I'm curious because several people are looking at being innkeeper-managers and I think they would be interested to know what all you are responsible for. Do you do 'everything' associated with running the business? Does the owner do 'some' of the things? How is that divided up?
Between the DH and I we do: the bookeeping and payroll, we make, serve, and set out breakfast if there are 10 rooms or less in house, we take all the reservations, do all the ordering, most of the handyman and maintenance stuff, all of the baking, product research, hiring/firing, employee management, menu development, housekeeping if the housekeeper isn't available, etc... I think we basically do everything but pay the mortgage! A lot of our decisions do go through our owner for approval though, since he's the one with the bank account.
One of the best perks of working here is that we do get to live in the Inn. Granted, our quarters are just like what seems to be the norm for most innkeepers:small, less than ornate, and out of the way. But it's cozy and warm. Plus, on the days when no one's here we can lounge on the sofa and start a fire in the main room and enjoy having all this space to ourselves.
Is it an uncommon thing to be an inn manager?

Between the DH and I we do: the bookeeping and payroll, we make, serve, and set out breakfast if there are 10 rooms or less in house, we take all the reservations, do all the ordering, most of the handyman and maintenance stuff, all of the baking, product research, hiring/firing, employee management, menu development, housekeeping if the housekeeper isn't available, etc... I think we basically do everything but pay the mortgage! A lot of our decisions do go through our owner for approval though, since he's the one with the bank account.
One of the best perks of working here is that we do get to live in the Inn. Granted, our quarters are just like what seems to be the norm for most innkeepers:small, less than ornate, and out of the way. But it's cozy and warm. Plus, on the days when no one's here we can lounge on the sofa and start a fire in the main room and enjoy having all this space to ourselves.
No, I don't think it's uncommon to be the inn manager. In an establishment such as yours (very large) it's the only way to do it. Being the owner/innkeeper would require that all of the jobs you mentioned doing would need to be filled anyway. It's much easier to make the money in a larger place to hire on staff than it is in a smaller place. Does the owner ever come by to greet the guests? We've found that in a few places...innkeeper/manager does all the work and the owner stops by to get all the kudos!
I must say, tho, that the idea of cleaning and serving 10 rooms is beyond my abilities. Maybe if I were 21 again...but not now. 7 rooms is my upper limit and 6 would be infinitely easier. We looked at a place with 10 guestrooms and I thought, 'how hard could that be?' Well, now I know!
It seems the owner has assigned about 75% of the tasks to you. Not sure if that's a lot or what! How many staff are you allowed to hire to help you? You certainly will have a lot of experience when you are done.
And I do have a lot of innkeeper space to myself...3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room. I couldn't survive if I had to wait for guests to be gone to light the fire!
I know one innkeeper here who may be looking for the sort of establishment you have, which is why I asked. Good way for her to get an idea of what the requirements are for the manager.
Glad you are liking it so far! When is your 'season,' when you will likely be the busiest? Also, are you the first managers under this owner or has this person owned the property for awhile? Curious as to what the expectations are for you for the season? Are you required to book 'x' number of nights or have 'x' number of repeat guests? Sort of like, how does the owner know you are doing your job? How will you be evaluated for raises or even to keep the job?

No, I don't think it's uncommon to be the inn manager. In an establishment such as yours (very large) it's the only way to do it. Being the owner/innkeeper would require that all of the jobs you mentioned doing would need to be filled anyway. It's much easier to make the money in a larger place to hire on staff than it is in a smaller place. Does the owner ever come by to greet the guests? We've found that in a few places...innkeeper/manager does all the work and the owner stops by to get all the kudos!
I must say, tho, that the idea of cleaning and serving 10 rooms is beyond my abilities. Maybe if I were 21 again...but not now. 7 rooms is my upper limit and 6 would be infinitely easier. We looked at a place with 10 guestrooms and I thought, 'how hard could that be?' Well, now I know!
It seems the owner has assigned about 75% of the tasks to you. Not sure if that's a lot or what! How many staff are you allowed to hire to help you? You certainly will have a lot of experience when you are done.
And I do have a lot of innkeeper space to myself...3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room. I couldn't survive if I had to wait for guests to be gone to light the fire!
I know one innkeeper here who may be looking for the sort of establishment you have, which is why I asked. Good way for her to get an idea of what the requirements are for the manager.
Glad you are liking it so far! When is your 'season,' when you will likely be the busiest? Also, are you the first managers under this owner or has this person owned the property for awhile? Curious as to what the expectations are for you for the season? Are you required to book 'x' number of nights or have 'x' number of repeat guests? Sort of like, how does the owner know you are doing your job? How will you be evaluated for raises or even to keep the job?
Yeah, he comes by periodically to help out and will say hi to guests while he's here. Usually if we have 8-11 rooms he'll help us cook, beyond that we have our actual cook come in. He’s refreshingly hands-on. The previous owners my husband and I have dealt with were apathetic and distant, yet somehow managed to be overbearing and demanding. UGH!
During peak season (summer and fall) we’ll be allowed to have one FT cook, (possibly 1 PT cook), 3 or 4 total housekeepers (1 FT and the rest PT), and two wait staffers (both PT). That leaved DH and I to take care of all of the misc stuff that will invariably come up and try to throw a monkey wrench in the day, lol.
Our owner bought the property with a different inn manager couple that he stuck with for the first two years. But they eventually got exhausted and decided to retire to FL. So he found us. Yay!
I cannot even IMAGINE having the living quarters you do! Wanna know what DH and I have? One room that fits a Q bed and dorm sized fridge and another that fits a couch and a lazy-boy. I think that was the hardest part to get used to. Especially since we had just gotten our first nice apartment back home with two bedrooms, two living rooms, giant kitchen, and partially furnished attic and then got the job and moved here. It’s a good trade though. “Home” wasn’t a very nice place, and we feel super blessed to be here.

Back