Owning a Bed and Breakfast Now a Viable Career for Young- INN the news 09.09.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this, JBJ! This topic has actually been on my mind lately, since (if all goes well and smoothly) I'll soon be the youngest innkeeper I've ever met!
It's becoming a concern of mine, since beginning to read other threads about PITAs, guests treating innkeepers like "hired help," etc. that my age will be a challenge when dealing with guests and other business partners, mainly because it implies a lack of credibility and authority.
I wish the article had gone into more detail, but it's nice to know I'm jumping in on an uptrend!

Thanks for posting this, JBJ! This topic has actually been on my mind lately, since (if all goes well and smoothly) I'll soon be the youngest innkeeper I've ever met!
It's becoming a concern of mine, since beginning to read other threads about PITAs, guests treating innkeepers like "hired help," etc. that my age will be a challenge when dealing with guests and other business partners, mainly because it implies a lack of credibility and authority.
I wish the article had gone into more detail, but it's nice to know I'm jumping in on an uptrend!.
stephanie said:
I wish the article had gone into more detail, but it's nice to know I'm jumping in on an uptrend!
From one so-called youngin' to another, what you will have is: Oh is this your family home? As they think it was just handed to you.
My reply, "No I have only lived in the east for 5 years now. We have a mortgage like everyone else" and that seems to shut them up. Those are just the rude sticky-beaks. Typically from one state which will remain un-named, but my least favorite guests are ALWAYS from that state. Which has been in the news alot lately...
I have never been treated like the help here. Ever. (Except one babay shower we hosted and the person was younger than me that was rude). I am not arrogant with guests either. People love that we have not retired to run a B&B.
The reason most do not get it, is that BIG HOUSES cost big money. So to see someone younger, it throws them and then they sometimes get all in your business.
There are plenty of younger innkeepers out there now, as is illustrated by the article. There are a few on this forum raising young families and running and inn. I can think of 4 off the top of my head.
All inns are different and all innkeepers different. Don't let anyone put you down for your age. That is absurd. The lady who had this place before us was a cranky old bat. I think sometimes youngsters can be refreshing.

I wish the article had gone into more detail, but it's nice to know I'm jumping in on an uptrend!.
stephanie said:
From one so-called youngin' to another, what you will have is: Oh is this your family home? As they think it was just handed to you.
My reply, "No I have only lived in the east for 5 years now. We have a mortgage like everyone else" and that seems to shut them up. Those are just the rude sticky-beaks. Typically from one state which will remain un-named, but my least favorite guests are ALWAYS from that state. Which has been in the news alot lately...
I have never been treated like the help here. Ever. (Except one babay shower we hosted and the person was younger than me that was rude). I am not arrogant with guests either. People love that we have not retired to run a B&B.
The reason most do not get it, is that BIG HOUSES cost big money. So to see someone younger, it throws them and then they sometimes get all in your business.
There are plenty of younger innkeepers out there now, as is illustrated by the article. There are a few on this forum raising young families and running and inn. I can think of 4 off the top of my head.
All inns are different and all innkeepers different. Don't let anyone put you down for your age. That is absurd. The lady who had this place before us was a cranky old bat. I think sometimes youngsters can be refreshing.
Youngsters Mid 20's- 30's do bring an entirely different perspective to the business. But I am curious as to what will happen when they do decide to start a family and if they will be able to handle both. I know there are some here who do it and that is great! Just something REALLY BIG to consider.

stephanie said:
Haha. And it's a comfort to know you guys will be here to vent to when it's my turn!
Funny story (in retrospect, not at the time): I'm on the BoD of my industry's association and organize their annual awards gala where we also award a scholarship to a local college student. I was pitching in at the registration desk so one of my volunteers could grab a cocktail and a guest asked me "Are you the scholarship recipient?" There were a thousand responses running through my head, but just swallowed them and smiled politely, "Nope." "Oh, you look just like her. How old are you?"
I know they don't mean to insult me...

stephanie said:
Youngsters Mid 20's- 30's do bring an entirely different perspective to the business. But I am curious as to what will happen when they do decide to start a family and if they will be able to handle both. I know there are some here who do it and that is great! Just something REALLY BIG to consider.
Thanks for the warning--I've been following that thread as well and found it really interesting. Not really a concern for us YET, but the discussion was VERY helpful in refining our criteria for owners' quarters, proximity to family, etc.

stephanie said:
catlady said:
It is very challenging. There are days when you do not think it is a good idea - kids go through things, not just vomitting and fevers. You can wish for a quiet "rolling eyes" child. But that is not always the case.
Who is it on this forum whose son wants a shirt that says "Guests Suck" Or maybe that was some of the innkeepers on the forum.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Odd that the article phrases it that way...'now' a viable career...

Odd that the article phrases it that way...'now' a viable career....
Bree said:
I noticed that, too. From the title, I thought it was going to be an article about foreclosures making B&Bs more affordable to those with smaller bank accounts...

Bree said:
I noticed that, too. From the title, I thought it was going to be an article about foreclosures making B&Bs more affordable to those with smaller bank accounts...
stephanie said:
Bree said:
On the old forum we had an innkeeper who started out when she was 21 or so. I wish she were here to help you with some of the comments she got from guests. (Where's your mom? as an example)

I know one of those couples as well, and they have a very 'different' way of running their B&B that is fantastic. Since they're around my age (30), they are including things at their inn that appeal to a younger crowd.

I know one of those couples as well, and they have a very 'different' way of running their B&B that is fantastic. Since they're around my age (30), they are including things at their inn that appeal to a younger crowd..
IvyLee said:
I know one of those couples as well, and they have a very 'different' way of running their B&B that is fantastic. Since they're around my age (30), they are including things at their inn that appeal to a younger crowd.
"everybody loves a doiley" I think I will have a tshirt made up with that on it.
Just kiddin.

I know one of those couples as well, and they have a very 'different' way of running their B&B that is fantastic. Since they're around my age (30), they are including things at their inn that appeal to a younger crowd..
IvyLee said:
Such as...

Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
On the old forum we had an innkeeper who started out when she was 21 or so. I wish she were here to help you with some of the comments she got from guests. (Where's your mom? as an example)
That was Christy. They sold their B&B in California and moved back to Georgia. They no longer have a B&B.
Riki

IvyLee said:
Such as...
I'd love to know, too! I did read about an innkeeper who liked to greet guests in her bikini. Their b&b was very shabby-chic. Ikea furniture, exposed concrete floors, toiletries in deli-style squeeze bottles.

When it's my turn, I'll too, be the youngest innkeeper I know. Our children are already 9 & 10. We will not be starting a family, but we will just keep BEING a family.
That's the part that has held us back till this point in time. We finally decided that waiting wasn't going to make it better or easier, so we figured that if we start looking now and CONTINUE to save our money, when we find what we love, we'll be ready for it.
Planning can take you so far, then it's time to put the plan into action or it's only ever going to BE a PLAN

IvyLee said:
"everybody loves a doiley" I think I will have a tshirt made up with that on it.
Just kiddin.
Everybody loves a gnome in the garden too, don't forget
devil_smile.gif
hahahaha!

Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
That was Christy. They sold their B&B in California and moved back to Georgia. They no longer have a B&B.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Right. Thanks.

Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Right. Thanks.
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Right. Thanks.
Charlotte.

Back