Packaged soaps or liquids?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for innkeepers that use individual toiletries in their rooms: Do you restock the toiletries each day?
I didn't used to restock bc I figured most guests travel with their own, and a single shampoo, bar soap, and lotion seem sufficient to me for a 2-day stay. (we have pump hand soap by the sink so the bar soap is meant for showers) However, a guest from the UK complained that I needed to give them another set for day 2. I was surprised bc they were spending a month in the US so I figured they'd have their own!
So now I restock. Sometimes guests don't use the second set & leave them. However, a lot of times guests take the second set as a "gift" I guess. They are nice toiletries. I'm wondering if I should switch back to not restocking in order to save money.

We added some very nice dispensers in the shower units from BB&B (yearly biz membership guarantees 20% every purchase)
We have had many positive comments on them! They hold a shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Eliminates clean up and waste of all those little half used bottles! and....nobody knows you use a cheap nice smelling shampoo or wash!.
I have used Gilchrist & Soames packaged toiletries for the past several years. The ones I buy donate a portion of their sales to environmental efforts -- and they're labeled as such! A few guests have provided positive feedback them. Many guests seem to like to take them with them, aka the (room) strippers who also empty the candy dishes when they leave.
I like the idea of in-shower dispensers, however I wonder about how the next owners of my home would feel about the holes in the shower tiles. I doubt our home would be purchased as a B&B and I would imagine that the tiles holes could be a bit of a turn-off.
I took down a leaky dispenser and put brass -colored screws in the hols and then put silicone over the screws to keep water from going through the holes. It may not be pretty, but looks better than having the useless dispenser or water getting between shower and wall. Is there a tile patching compound?
Two choices
Simple choice - small quantity of grout to match existing grout or perhaps tile, mix and fill holes, let dry, if lucky and it is white on white and not much will show.
Difficult choice - tool to remove (saw out) the grout around the tiles with the holes, carefully remove those tiles and replace with new tiles without the holes, of course that means you had to have a couple of spare tiles laying around or some decorative tiles that look like you meant them to be decoration. Grout section after replacement.
Mine is a fiberglass surround 48 inch shower.
Oops, sorry, was basing instructions on request for "tile patching compound", for fiberglass it may be worthwhile checking with an automotive body shop as fiberglass is used in certain automobile bodies and repair, it may be that they could offer a usable suggestion.
Years ago I recall having stick on fish or flowers used in the floor of our tub to prevent slipping, perhaps an artful design cut from an stick on tub mat or a stainless steel design and stainless steel screws would cover the holes and look intentional, but perhaps not worth the effort.
Great idea!! Will give it some thought for just the right thing.

Question for innkeepers that use individual toiletries in their rooms: Do you restock the toiletries each day?
I didn't used to restock bc I figured most guests travel with their own, and a single shampoo, bar soap, and lotion seem sufficient to me for a 2-day stay. (we have pump hand soap by the sink so the bar soap is meant for showers) However, a guest from the UK complained that I needed to give them another set for day 2. I was surprised bc they were spending a month in the US so I figured they'd have their own!
So now I restock. Sometimes guests don't use the second set & leave them. However, a lot of times guests take the second set as a "gift" I guess. They are nice toiletries. I'm wondering if I should switch back to not restocking in order to save money..
I don't restock except for toilet paper and soap if needed. Except for multi day stays I rarely need to restock the soap. TP mileage varies widely. I do use the individual soap and shampoo, conditioner. Most use the shampoo. Most longer termers bring their own.

So now I restock. Sometimes guests don't use the second set & leave them. However, a lot of times guests take the second set as a "gift" I guess. They are nice toiletries. I'm wondering if I should switch back to not restocking in order to save money..
Those guests stocked up at your place and were guilting you into supplying them with toiletries for a week.
If I like the toiletries I take them home. But, I only 'stock up' if I'm at a hotel.
I'd go back to replacing empties, not adding more to the pile.

Those guests stocked up at your place and were guilting you into supplying them with toiletries for a week.
If I like the toiletries I take them home. But, I only 'stock up' if I'm at a hotel.
I used to take them and then realized I had so many and no reason to. Then again, I'm a guy... I'll wash my hair with soap if needed.... I'm not fancy.

I also take only at a hotel. At a B & B O use the stuff in my toiletries bag from the hotels - I do not use B & B stuff as that is overhead. I try to be a non-user at a B& B.

It's fairly rare, but occasionally they'll take everything that's not nailed down. All the soaps & toiletries, all the TP, all the creamers, sweetener packets, scratch pad, pen, even the yellow highlighter and paper clips I put in the desk in case some business traveler needs it.
I just hope they fondly remember my place every time they look at those things.

As a guest I am so happy to have the dispensers. My hair is very long and thick and a tiny bottle of shampoo or conditioner doesn't work for more than one use. I don't like to ask for more!

In my opinion if you are a budget friendly place than this would be ok. But if I checked into a place and they had these I wouldn’t like it to much. I would think some bad reviews would follow but that’s just me. People will think you are skimping on basic room amenities.my first thought would be “I’m not using Someone’s used soap that has had a bunch of people shower with!”.
Actually, the movement is away from bar soap which is wasteful and non-environmental towards dispensers, even in the most expensive of hotels and cruise lines. It cuts the waste and the less plastic, the better.
I completely get it. But you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review. Most of the time I just take my own and don’t worry about it. But then I’m an innkeeper and get to travel very little. :(
Hillbilly said:
..you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review...
It's just not a problem. I've been using them 5 years now. Nobody has ever said a word about them, one way or the other. I do have a "green" notice in the bathroom about the dispensers saving the trashing of hundreds of little plastic bottles every year.
I first saw these Gilchrist & Soames dispensers at a very upscale B&B in England and we all agreed they look great.
Arks, can you post your wording or pic or your sign?
Generic said:
I've blocked out my inn name, logo, and phone number. What I write about the use of liquid soap dispensers is the paragraph at the bottom of the sign.
bathroom%20signage%202.jpg

bathroom%20signage.jpg

We have something similar.
Highlands John said:
I probably got my wording from you! I know I got it here, many years ago.
Sadly, even with the dispensers we have to have the lockable type, because some people will empty them.

In my opinion if you are a budget friendly place than this would be ok. But if I checked into a place and they had these I wouldn’t like it to much. I would think some bad reviews would follow but that’s just me. People will think you are skimping on basic room amenities.my first thought would be “I’m not using Someone’s used soap that has had a bunch of people shower with!”.
Actually, the movement is away from bar soap which is wasteful and non-environmental towards dispensers, even in the most expensive of hotels and cruise lines. It cuts the waste and the less plastic, the better.
I completely get it. But you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review. Most of the time I just take my own and don’t worry about it. But then I’m an innkeeper and get to travel very little. :(
Hillbilly said:
..you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review...
It's just not a problem. I've been using them 5 years now. Nobody has ever said a word about them, one way or the other. I do have a "green" notice in the bathroom about the dispensers saving the trashing of hundreds of little plastic bottles every year.
I first saw these Gilchrist & Soames dispensers at a very upscale B&B in England and we all agreed they look great.
Generic said:
I've blocked out my inn name, logo, and phone number. What I write about the use of liquid soap dispensers is the paragraph at the bottom of the sign.

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
Sadly, even with the dispensers we have to have the lockable type, because some people will empty them.
Highlands John said:
That's what I love about the Gilchrist dispensers. You can only remove them with a hex wrench. But it wouldn't surprise me to find that some guests will stand there and keep pumping until they fill their own little bottle to take with them.

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
That's what I love about the Gilchrist dispensers. You can only remove them with a hex wrench. But it wouldn't surprise me to find that some guests will stand there and keep pumping until they fill their own little bottle to take with them.
I used clear soap for the hand soap.... USED... had a guest use it for hand laundry. I now have soap with a blue tint... they don't use it for hand laundry.

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
empty them??? You mean, they bring an empty container and drain it or they just let it all go down the drain?

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
empty them??? You mean, they bring an empty container and drain it or they just let it all go down the drain?
My guess is an empty container they will fill at his expense.

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
That's my conclusion, they have a nearly empty shampoo bottle with them so they fill it from our dispenser.

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
That's my conclusion, they have a nearly empty shampoo bottle with them so they fill it from our dispenser.
Highlands John said:
Wow! You would have to be offering some really sweet shampoo for people to come prepared to drain the dispenser.
Although .... I don't know if you recall my t.p. thief. She was struggling at the top of the stairs with her suitcase. I had just gone to the supply cupboard and was shocked to see our t.p. supply depleted. Suddenly, her suitcase popped open and all the rolls of t.p. bounced down the stairs (individually wrapped, thank goodness). It wasn't great t.p. ... soft enough and got the job done, but I bought it because it was economical buying in bulk. Maybe something was 'wrong' with her.
If you need to steal t.p. and shampoo, you really shouldn't spend your money staying at a b&b.

We added some very nice dispensers in the shower units from BB&B (yearly biz membership guarantees 20% every purchase)
We have had many positive comments on them! They hold a shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Eliminates clean up and waste of all those little half used bottles! and....nobody knows you use a cheap nice smelling shampoo or wash!
, y\
Hello. We installed dispensers in our 4 guestrooms but challenged to find inexpensive, yet nice, products to fill them. I have been purchasing various ones at Marshalls and would like to find products that I can keep consistent. Any suggestions?

I used the dispensers for many years. I use unscented and finding THAT was nigh on to impossible after a while - and they started leaking. I found a local who made goat milk soap. When I called for my 3rd order, they did not answer the phone - I think they quit making soap. About that time my niece posted on FB that she was making soap - so she made unscented soaps for me. They are small circles/rounds (not balls) - the others were small rectangles - each big enough for quite a few showers and lather nicely. I tried one in my bathroom to check it out, FIRST.

I suggest you look in your area for people who are making soap. I buy an entire batch cut into small bars or rounds, not the large bars. People like the local aspect. Emily Spiers in Ohio makes soaps. (My niece is in Florida)

I used the dispensers for many years. I use unscented and finding THAT was nigh on to impossible after a while - and they started leaking. I found a local who made goat milk soap. When I called for my 3rd order, they did not answer the phone - I think they quit making soap. About that time my niece posted on FB that she was making soap - so she made unscented soaps for me. They are small circles/rounds (not balls) - the others were small rectangles - each big enough for quite a few showers and lather nicely. I tried one in my bathroom to check it out, FIRST.

I suggest you look in your area for people who are making soap. I buy an entire batch cut into small bars or rounds, not the large bars. People like the local aspect. Emily Spiers in Ohio makes soaps. (My niece is in Florida)
t
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have reached out to one local company; never heard back. Will try again and see if there are any others. So far the guests seem to appreciate the dispenser "green" aspect, so I am going to try to stick with them for awhile.

, y\
Hello. We installed dispensers in our 4 guestrooms but challenged to find inexpensive, yet nice, products to fill them. I have been purchasing various ones at Marshalls and would like to find products that I can keep consistent. Any suggestions?
Gilchrist and Soames. They will send you samples so you can try them out first. We get the gallon shampoo from them. The hand soap is whatever the local store has that is clear, unscented, and on sale.

You can also contact Greenwich Bay.

For the last few years we have been using PAYA Organics purchased from www.myamtex.com we chose their products after discussing various sample products with our guests. Seems to have been well received by guests, I thought the packaging looked nice and cost was in line. I use the individual bottles but it is offered in gallon containers as well.

Back