Packaged soaps or liquids?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenW

Reaction score
We had packaged soaps and 2oz shampoo and conditioner last season....thinking about going to dispensers for in shower body wash,shampoo . What's your take on This?
Thanks Ken

Good idea. We've used shampoo dispensers forever. We have a soap dispenser at the sink. Because I don't like body wash we still have small bars of soap.

We actually got a bad mention in a (pretty basically bad) review saying, "They even source their shampoos from China."
Our shampoo comes in a big box and is called "Sea Mist" or something equally 'coastal' and relaxing sounding. Never knew or cared where it was manufactured.
Anyway, I always wonder if the dispensers are harder to clean and keep full. Let me know.

Shampoo (because real poo is icky), conditioner and body wash in dispensers. Hand soap in dispensers. We don't have soap because we have glass showers and soap leaves soap scum which increases the work that I and the housekeeper has to do... otherwise it's just a little Dawn to clean the showers... someone uses soap and we have to pull out the big guns.
We keep an extra dispenser around because no matter how securely they are on, someone once a year usually manages to break one. For the most part rather easy to refill, we do it about once a week. The hardest is the conditioner, as you need one that is thinner... if it's too thick, it won't come out... and disgusting people will open it up and put their fingers in to take some. Otherwise happy as can be and it's environmental. I do prefer translucent or clear hand soap. I've had at least one guest try to use it for laundry, which is why I prefer it have a colour, even if it's just a little bluish tinge to it.

I have pump bottles of shampoo & conditioner in the ensuite shower because the older dispenser kept leaking. The dispenser in the shared bath shower is still working nicely. I have small bars of loaclly made soap in both showers. There is a pump bottle of hand soap at the sinks. (There is also a small bar of local soap next to the claw-foot tub in the ensuite.)

At the NE Inn we have something like this one below. It is easy to install, keep clean, and works well. The guests like that it is in the shower ready for use. I went through all the rooms and refill them all at one time. When we wash the tub or shower we clean them and we lift the covers to wipe the inside ledge as well. At the sink we have mini bars of soap for each person staying and a liquid soap in a clear pump.
https://www.amazon.com/Better-Living-71450-4-Chamber-Dispenser/dp/B00004TUBO/ref=sr_1_7/141-0778355-9139432?ie=UTF8&qid=1519844007&sr=8-7&keywords=shampoo+dispenser+for+shower
At the PA inn we use little bottles and soap bars from Greenwich Bay with the inn's name on it.
http://www.gbsoaps.com/Lodging/Lodging_Index/Lodging_Index.html

At the NE Inn we have something like this one below. It is easy to install, keep clean, and works well. The guests like that it is in the shower ready for use. I went through all the rooms and refill them all at one time. When we wash the tub or shower we clean them and we lift the covers to wipe the inside ledge as well. At the sink we have mini bars of soap for each person staying and a liquid soap in a clear pump.
https://www.amazon.com/Better-Living-71450-4-Chamber-Dispenser/dp/B00004TUBO/ref=sr_1_7/141-0778355-9139432?ie=UTF8&qid=1519844007&sr=8-7&keywords=shampoo+dispenser+for+shower
At the PA inn we use little bottles and soap bars from Greenwich Bay with the inn's name on it.
http://www.gbsoaps.com/Lodging/Lodging_Index/Lodging_Index.html.
We use https://www.amazon.com/Better-Living-72350-3-Chamber-Dispenser/dp/B001CD4FT6 but I really like https://www.amazon.com/IYUEGO-Dispenser-Contemporary-Wall-mounted-Accessories/dp/B01CY4U734 and https://www.amazon.com/Mia-Dispenser-Chambers-installation-bottles/dp/B072V3NB9M

We actually got a bad mention in a (pretty basically bad) review saying, "They even source their shampoos from China."
Our shampoo comes in a big box and is called "Sea Mist" or something equally 'coastal' and relaxing sounding. Never knew or cared where it was manufactured.
Anyway, I always wonder if the dispensers are harder to clean and keep full. Let me know..
The good ones don't leak, so not a lot of cleaning other than wiping down while doing shower. They detach easily for refilling. They rarely get used. Most guests bring their own.

Anyway, I always wonder if the dispensers are harder to clean and keep full. Let me know..
The one that leaked was over 15 years old before it started leaking. It was so old, I could not find another chamber to replace it with. AND for 10 of those years was the ONLY dispenser as we were a 3 with shared for those 10 years.

I've always put out a bar of glycerine soap for those who don't like dispensers, but I have refillable wall-mounted dispensers in the showers and at the sinks. Mine are from Gilchrist & Soames. They give a nice clean look and when things begin to look worn, I just replace the old bottles with inexpensive new ones. The frame that holds them is stainless steel and easy to keep like new. Unlike in this photo I found online, I insist my housekeepers always leave all the pumps pointed straight out. Little details matter!

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg

I've always put out a bar of glycerine soap for those who don't like dispensers, but I have refillable wall-mounted dispensers in the showers and at the sinks. Mine are from Gilchrist & Soames. They give a nice clean look and when things begin to look worn, I just replace the old bottles with inexpensive new ones. The frame that holds them is stainless steel and easy to keep like new. Unlike in this photo I found online, I insist my housekeepers always leave all the pumps pointed straight out. Little details matter!

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg
Funny, they are bilingual... but definitely French-French. It's not après-shampooing here, it's revitalisant, here.

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg
Funny, they are bilingual... but definitely French-French. It's not après-shampooing here, it's revitalisant, here.
Generic said:
I've always enjoyed the French on the soap bottles. Makes me feel so continental and sophisticated.

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg
Generic said:
I've always enjoyed the French on the soap bottles. Makes me feel so continental and sophisticated.
Funny, it makes me chuckle to see that Anglicism for conditioner.

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg
Arks, Can you tell me where you purchased the holder?

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg
Those are Gilcrest & soames. That type of pump bottle is the way to go. I had the dispense from the bottom and after about 10 years, my firstones started leaking. The replacements leaked even quicker. G & S is abit pricy, but they DO have good product.

AC-Chicago-G-S.jpg
Those are Gilcrest & soames. That type of pump bottle is the way to go. I had the dispense from the bottom and after about 10 years, my firstones started leaking. The replacements leaked even quicker. G & S is abit pricy, but they DO have good product.
gillumhouse said:
Those are Gilcrest & soames.
Yes. Wonderful and classy-looking dispensers. Mine are 5 years old and still like new.

One of our rooms has the dispensers like Arks's photo, the other 2 have Aviva dispensers.
We buy 5ltr containers from Highland soaps, trying to keep it local and people like that.

In my opinion if you are a budget friendly place than this would be ok. But if I checked into a place and they had these I wouldn’t like it to much. I would think some bad reviews would follow but that’s just me. People will think you are skimping on basic room amenities.my first thought would be “I’m not using Someone’s used soap that has had a bunch of people shower with!”

In my opinion if you are a budget friendly place than this would be ok. But if I checked into a place and they had these I wouldn’t like it to much. I would think some bad reviews would follow but that’s just me. People will think you are skimping on basic room amenities.my first thought would be “I’m not using Someone’s used soap that has had a bunch of people shower with!”.
Actually, the movement is away from bar soap which is wasteful and non-environmental towards dispensers, even in the most expensive of hotels and cruise lines. It cuts the waste and the less plastic, the better.

Back