Packaged soaps or liquids?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion if you are a budget friendly place than this would be ok. But if I checked into a place and they had these I wouldn’t like it to much. I would think some bad reviews would follow but that’s just me. People will think you are skimping on basic room amenities.my first thought would be “I’m not using Someone’s used soap that has had a bunch of people shower with!”.
Actually, the movement is away from bar soap which is wasteful and non-environmental towards dispensers, even in the most expensive of hotels and cruise lines. It cuts the waste and the less plastic, the better.
I completely get it. But you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review. Most of the time I just take my own and don’t worry about it. But then I’m an innkeeper and get to travel very little. :(

In my opinion if you are a budget friendly place than this would be ok. But if I checked into a place and they had these I wouldn’t like it to much. I would think some bad reviews would follow but that’s just me. People will think you are skimping on basic room amenities.my first thought would be “I’m not using Someone’s used soap that has had a bunch of people shower with!”.
Actually, the movement is away from bar soap which is wasteful and non-environmental towards dispensers, even in the most expensive of hotels and cruise lines. It cuts the waste and the less plastic, the better.
I completely get it. But you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review. Most of the time I just take my own and don’t worry about it. But then I’m an innkeeper and get to travel very little. :(
Well, when they find it at 5* hotels, they will just have to get over it. I've seen Bulgari in dispensers.

Well, when they find it at 5* hotels, they will just have to get over it. I've seen Bulgari in dispensers.
You are correct! :)

Hillbilly said:
..you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review...
It's just not a problem. I've been using them 5 years now. Nobody has ever said a word about them, one way or the other. I do have a "green" notice in the bathroom about the dispensers saving the trashing of hundreds of little plastic bottles every year.
I first saw these Gilchrist & Soames dispensers at a very upscale B&B in England and we all agreed they look great.

You are correct! :)
Hillbilly:
I still use the small shampoo and conditioner bottles plus individually wrapped soap. (Greenwich Bay) I like the custom labels. I just plain like them. Sometimes people take them with them as souvenirs. Works for me.
I tried a new soap from a company also in Resources here: Emz Blendz. They have a cedar-like fragrance that G Bay doesn't have. They also custom label but its just a band around the soap, not a total envelope. Nice looking labels though and the company is one state over from me. They were so fast at getting out their samples. I use their soaps in our self catering vacation apartment.
I don't provide bottled water. That plastic bugs the heck out of me. Hopefully I'll evolve out of the shampoo bottles too, but for now they still make me happy.

Hillbilly said:
..you will get a few that will turn their nose up at it and write a bad review...
It's just not a problem. I've been using them 5 years now. Nobody has ever said a word about them, one way or the other. I do have a "green" notice in the bathroom about the dispensers saving the trashing of hundreds of little plastic bottles every year.
I first saw these Gilchrist & Soames dispensers at a very upscale B&B in England and we all agreed they look great.
Im glad to see this is working. I'm sure that little note you have is very helpful. How can you argue with that? :) I might have to try this in one of our rooms and see how people like it. I can have both in the room and see if the little bottles are left. That would be great.

Hillbilly said:
Arks, can you post your wording or pic or your sign?

We added some very nice dispensers in the shower units from BB&B (yearly biz membership guarantees 20% every purchase)
We have had many positive comments on them! They hold a shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Eliminates clean up and waste of all those little half used bottles! and....nobody knows you use a cheap nice smelling shampoo or wash!

We added some very nice dispensers in the shower units from BB&B (yearly biz membership guarantees 20% every purchase)
We have had many positive comments on them! They hold a shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Eliminates clean up and waste of all those little half used bottles! and....nobody knows you use a cheap nice smelling shampoo or wash!.
I have used Gilchrist & Soames packaged toiletries for the past several years. The ones I buy donate a portion of their sales to environmental efforts -- and they're labeled as such! A few guests have provided positive feedback them. Many guests seem to like to take them with them, aka the (room) strippers who also empty the candy dishes when they leave.
I like the idea of in-shower dispensers, however I wonder about how the next owners of my home would feel about the holes in the shower tiles. I doubt our home would be purchased as a B&B and I would imagine that the tiles holes could be a bit of a turn-off.

We have had many positive comments on them! They hold a shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Eliminates clean up and waste of all those little half used bottles! and....nobody knows you use a cheap nice smelling shampoo or wash!.
I have used Gilchrist & Soames packaged toiletries for the past several years. The ones I buy donate a portion of their sales to environmental efforts -- and they're labeled as such! A few guests have provided positive feedback them. Many guests seem to like to take them with them, aka the (room) strippers who also empty the candy dishes when they leave.
I like the idea of in-shower dispensers, however I wonder about how the next owners of my home would feel about the holes in the shower tiles. I doubt our home would be purchased as a B&B and I would imagine that the tiles holes could be a bit of a turn-off.
I took down a leaky dispenser and put brass -colored screws in the hols and then put silicone over the screws to keep water from going through the holes. It may not be pretty, but looks better than having the useless dispenser or water getting between shower and wall. Is there a tile patching compound?

Mine are held in by marine glue. Not sure how to get marine glue off, but I don't have holes.

Ours have a couple adhesive strips and we have a one piece fiberglass shower unit. Seems strong enough so far! ...and less destructive!
I am okay with using alcohol or goo-be-gone and a little scrubbing to remove it if we reach that point.

I took down a leaky dispenser and put brass -colored screws in the hols and then put silicone over the screws to keep water from going through the holes. It may not be pretty, but looks better than having the useless dispenser or water getting between shower and wall. Is there a tile patching compound?
Put a dispenser likes Arks over top of the screw holes. All set!
shades_smile.gif

Put a dispenser likes Arks over top of the screw holes. All set!
shades_smile.gif

Not that size - & 4-holes

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:
I've blocked out my inn name, logo, and phone number. What I write about the use of liquid soap dispensers is the paragraph at the bottom of the sign.
bathroom%20signage%202.jpg

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:
I've blocked out my inn name, logo, and phone number. What I write about the use of liquid soap dispensers is the paragraph at the bottom of the sign.

bathroom%20signage.jpg

We have something similar.

Two choices
Simple choice - small quantity of grout to match existing grout or perhaps tile, mix and fill holes, let dry, if lucky and it is white on white and not much will show.
Difficult choice - tool to remove (saw out) the grout around the tiles with the holes, carefully remove those tiles and replace with new tiles without the holes, of course that means you had to have a couple of spare tiles laying around or some decorative tiles that look like you meant them to be decoration. Grout section after replacement.

Two choices
Simple choice - small quantity of grout to match existing grout or perhaps tile, mix and fill holes, let dry, if lucky and it is white on white and not much will show.
Difficult choice - tool to remove (saw out) the grout around the tiles with the holes, carefully remove those tiles and replace with new tiles without the holes, of course that means you had to have a couple of spare tiles laying around or some decorative tiles that look like you meant them to be decoration. Grout section after replacement.
Mine is a fiberglass surround 48 inch shower.

Hillbilly said:
Generic said:

bathroom%20signage.jpg

Highlands John said:
I probably got my wording from you! I know I got it here, many years ago.

Two choices
Mine is a fiberglass surround 48 inch shower.
Oops, sorry, was basing instructions on request for "tile patching compound", for fiberglass it may be worthwhile checking with an automotive body shop as fiberglass is used in certain automobile bodies and repair, it may be that they could offer a usable suggestion.
Years ago I recall having stick on fish or flowers used in the floor of our tub to prevent slipping, perhaps an artful design cut from an stick on tub mat or a stainless steel design and stainless steel screws would cover the holes and look intentional, but perhaps not worth the effort.

Back