Packaged soaps or liquids?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done some research into this a couple of years ago. The one-time-use plastics were killing me from an ecological standpoint. Every article I came across online stated that dispensers are either perceived by guests as "cheap" or "unsanitary". I personally think they are great, but for now we are sticking with the individual little bottles and wrapped soaps.

During the "Green Craze" high-end hotels were touting that they used dispensers. I was part of a WVDEP Office of Innovation class (year-long) on Environmental Management) and was the smallest business included. In the site visit, they said I was already doing everything I possibly could (they gave me a grant that I used to get a composter). I plastered it all over that we were GREEN! It made ZERO difference with reservations - people talked the talked but were not interested in walking the walk. They still left lights on, wanted bottled water, and on and on .

I've done some research into this a couple of years ago. The one-time-use plastics were killing me from an ecological standpoint. Every article I came across online stated that dispensers are either perceived by guests as "cheap" or "unsanitary". I personally think they are great, but for now we are sticking with the individual little bottles and wrapped soaps.
I wonder if those articles were written about hotels? In a smaller property, where the guests see who’s taking care of everything, the perception might be different.

OTOH, finding a big bottle of shampoo in a guest room weirds me out. (Not the little bottles, but a family size bottle.) I do know some places refill those little bottles and that’s kind of weird, too.

Like you, the plastic waste was killing me.

...Like you, the plastic waste was killing me.

We used to offer the little plastic water bottles in the rooms. They cost us 10c a piece, so they were quite profitable and in cash, we sold them 2 for $1. But chasing down all those bottles was nuts. They filled the recycling bins. We had to crush them to save space. We had to pull them out of the waste bins, rather than the recycling bins. It became work. So, we moved on to a reusable bottle that we leave in the room and put those bottles in the fridge at double the price. Those that want them, are still happy with the price, but it really cut down on work associated with them. And I don't have to load trays of them into the car.

OTOH, I’m in a rental right now and I’m going to use up every hotel amenity I ever collected. All the little soaps and shampoos and conditioners.

We used to offer the little plastic water bottles in the rooms. They cost us 10c a piece, so they were quite profitable and in cash, we sold them 2 for $1. But chasing down all those bottles was nuts. They filled the recycling bins. We had to crush them to save space. We had to pull them out of the waste bins, rather than the recycling bins. It became work. So, we moved on to a reusable bottle that we leave in the room and put those bottles in the fridge at double the price. Those that want them, are still happy with the price, but it really cut down on work associated with them. And I don't have to load trays of them into the car.

Don't get me started on the water bottles. Yes, we now offer them for SALE at $1 a piece. When we started out 16 years ago we offered free bottled water. At every single checkout we would be pulling out a minimum of 4 almost full water bottles. Guests would grab a bottle in the lobby every time they'd come through, take a sip and move on to the next, on their next walk out. WE WATERED OUR PLANTS WITH THE BOTTLED WATER, that's how insane it was. So now we have a water dispenser in our lobby which is free to fill up your glass or bottle, or they can pay the $ per bottle if they want that.

Thankfully it is rare that they clean out the upstairs fridge of water as they leave. I now keep a max of 4 in the fridge upstairs.

When folks check in I inform them to save their money, that we are on a mountain spring with the purest, best tasting water flowing through all faucets in the house with no additives, (husband is a plumber)...they still leave plastic water bottles sitting around with what is mostly crap water from municipal sources. Can't fix stupid!

We recently switched to the dispensers from the small packaged goods and have very positive comments so far from guests...they like the "green" aspect.
Wish you could convince the Jefferson Region Health District but they are "banned until further notice". It's like plastic water bottles, what a waste.

We had packaged soaps and 2oz shampoo and conditioner last season....thinking about going to dispensers for in shower body wash,shampoo . What's your take on This?
Thanks Ken
I like the personal touch of the packaged soaps and shampoo etc. I use Greenwich Bay Trading Co.
They are stamped with our name, and I had them designed the way I like. Never any complaints.
People love the "little extra touch".

Attachments

• IMG_20240224_101200161 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240224_101200161 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back