Packages a scam?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Sorry this really irked me off and I told Greenberg as such. Here I am giving away a free room night to every person who books one in February, so I am the real sucker in this equation. I don't appreciate them acting like all of us are out to rip people off! (Page 6) the next page mentions B&B's in a good light (Select Registry B&B's, the "GOOD ONES")
wink_smile.gif

[COLOR= rgb(26, 69, 112)]Spend less on romantic weekend getaways[/COLOR]
Be skeptical of 'Valentine's Day packages'

How do we give that idiot an earfull? Score some flowers at the local florist? Is he crazy? Had he said the local grocery I may have said nothing, but the florist will be charging a fortune for flowers of any kind Valentines weekend/Day!! And if the guest thinks he can come early and strew rose petals on my bed as shown in the photo, he has another think coming. The bill will include the cost of a VERY nice set of sheets - I do not care what WAS on the bed, they will be replaced with the best I can find. I just love the garbage these so-called gurus spew out without any REAL knowledge.
The next one was nice about B & Bs but - no offense meant to those who are SR - it implied only SR B & Bs were the way to go. I do not bother offering a Valentines Package because it is wasted effort here.

How do we give that idiot an earfull? Score some flowers at the local florist? Is he crazy? Had he said the local grocery I may have said nothing, but the florist will be charging a fortune for flowers of any kind Valentines weekend/Day!! And if the guest thinks he can come early and strew rose petals on my bed as shown in the photo, he has another think coming. The bill will include the cost of a VERY nice set of sheets - I do not care what WAS on the bed, they will be replaced with the best I can find. I just love the garbage these so-called gurus spew out without any REAL knowledge.
The next one was nice about B & Bs but - no offense meant to those who are SR - it implied only SR B & Bs were the way to go. I do not bother offering a Valentines Package because it is wasted effort here..
We did packages the first 3-4 years. Always ended up with leftovers when it snowed and evryone canceled. Stopped doing the packages unless V-Day is actually on a weekend.

As for me and my B&B we have ZILCH on the actual 14th of Feb. I am trying to persuade folks to celebrate the Month of Love and not be pressured into that one night. But then again there is Pres day the following weekend, so people are looking toward that!

I don't do packages either, though I tried a few times. Now I just offer free champagne if they book either ON 2/14 (if weeknight) or 2 nights either the weekend before or after. If they want ME to get their flowers, they can do an add-on.
Of course this comment regarding packages is a general one at the hospitality industry as a whole and if you do look at some of the hotel packages they are - just like he said.
As for the segment on the B&B industry, I found that very tastefully done even though it was a primarily a plug for S.R.; it does state "B&Bs on the site tend to operate upscale and slightly larger establishments", giving the reader heads up.

I don't do packages either, though I tried a few times. Now I just offer free champagne if they book either ON 2/14 (if weeknight) or 2 nights either the weekend before or after. If they want ME to get their flowers, they can do an add-on.
Of course this comment regarding packages is a general one at the hospitality industry as a whole and if you do look at some of the hotel packages they are - just like he said.
As for the segment on the B&B industry, I found that very tastefully done even though it was a primarily a plug for S.R.; it does state "B&Bs on the site tend to operate upscale and slightly larger establishments", giving the reader heads up..
I know I have seen add ons that make me think, 'Why would I spend $185 for THAT?' I always try to keep pkgs reasonable. But, I have to make some money, too. My time, albeit free, is still time the guest does not have to take to do the things I've done. Make the reservations, buy the flowers, the cake, the champagne.
For those whose time is more valuable than mine, it's a great deal. If you've got an asst who can run around doing all this stuff for you, then you don't need to pay ME for it. But, you're going to have to be sure that we're available for the follow up.
That whole thing about arriving earlier implies it's a hookup, not a getaway with someone you live with! Otherwise, you're both driving separately to get there and that's not typical (at least here).

As for the segment on the B&B industry, I found that very tastefully done even though it was a primarily a plug for S.R.; it does state "B&Bs on the site tend to operate upscale and slightly larger establishments", giving the reader heads up..
I know I have seen add ons that make me think, 'Why would I spend $185 for THAT?' I always try to keep pkgs reasonable. But, I have to make some money, too. My time, albeit free, is still time the guest does not have to take to do the things I've done. Make the reservations, buy the flowers, the cake, the champagne.
For those whose time is more valuable than mine, it's a great deal. If you've got an asst who can run around doing all this stuff for you, then you don't need to pay ME for it. But, you're going to have to be sure that we're available for the follow up.
That whole thing about arriving earlier implies it's a hookup, not a getaway with someone you live with! Otherwise, you're both driving separately to get there and that's not typical (at least here).
Madeleine said:
One of the previous screens talks about a getaway in your own town - not quoting here. So in this case I assume the writer is continuing on with this thought. I have had this sort of thing happen many times, had a few meet here but most times the one leaves & returns with their significant other, keeping the surprise intact till the very end.

As for the segment on the B&B industry, I found that very tastefully done even though it was a primarily a plug for S.R.; it does state "B&Bs on the site tend to operate upscale and slightly larger establishments", giving the reader heads up.
Yes, it was nicely done. The mild whine was because just about every writer request I ever saw was for a "luxury" whatever. I just wish they would once in a while just look at regular places - find the little guy, actually LOOK FOR the little guy and give a bit of a leg up. Needing 20k votes has me in the dumps. Sorry it came thru. At least I replaced my poll worker who prefers to go to his granddaughter's basketball game. Now I need the renewal to pass by 60%. I will go back in my hole now.

This is likely the same kind of fool who tells people to call, ask for the manager and then try to bargain down the price at the last minute. (I hate when people do that, because they aren't my guests at all.)

I had this at large hotels "Oh I want 40 red roses for my room blah blah blah" that will be XYZ on valentines day and they nearly loose an eye! men especially have no fricking clue what things like that cost.

We have a weekend before V-day package and it has booked OK, given that it is winter and normally slow and the holiday is mid-week. It is a good deal dollar-wise: b&b of course and a cooking class with a fun, fancy and romantic menu, wines included. Not a money maker for us, considering the work, but people have a really good time, so we do too.
I think these advice site are often not well thought out. I do like the suggestion "you can hit a liquor store for a nice bottle of champagne" - like Bonnie and Clyde: "Hey honey, keep the motor running, I'm gonna pick up somethin' real romantic for you .."

As for me and my B&B we have ZILCH on the actual 14th of Feb. I am trying to persuade folks to celebrate the Month of Love and not be pressured into that one night. But then again there is Pres day the following weekend, so people are looking toward that!.
We are getting away on Prez's Day weekend - there's a Monday holiday there!
regular_smile.gif

No plans for the actual Valentine's Day - it's a school night! lol...

Yep, I don't agree with a lot of the content of that article.
However, bad wording aside, I would rather pick up a bottle of champagne or wine that I really like than buy something that might not be so great and/or is overpriced as part of a romance package.
But having flowers in the room taken care of by an innkeeper is a total plus!

Back