Packages and Specials

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
What packages or specials that you have, brought in more guest or increased the amount of revenue? Is there something that you haven't tried but are thinking about it? And if there was somethin that you did try but it just didn't go, could you please share that also?
Thanks so much! Love you guys.

My inn-to-inn using the rail-trail to get from one to the other was a huge success (other inn retired now). The Bike & Winery and the Covered Bridges are both very successful. The Overnight Stabling gives me business in winter when most people are not traveling - at least not to here as I am not in a ski area.
The specials I had that were to take a class both bombed. I had one where they would make a basket of their choice here and I had another for taking classes at a glass shop (make a stained glass window) and a wood shop (make your own pen) one block from the house - none were EVER booked.

Congratulations on hitting the 6000th post on Innspiring!

thumbs_up.gif

My most popular one is the weekend booking with winery tour and overnight with wine tour.
My second most popular is the Sweetheart Package where the lady picks out an earring and necklace set made by a local artist. I check when they make the reservation for their two favorite colors and swap out the sets according to that. I have about 8 sets from which they pick.
RIki

May I play devil's advocate and mention what you DON'T want to do as a package?
Don't do anything that heavily relies on a third party specifically. If you have a special event and the third party is a prima donna and feels he is not getting enough attention and wants to change the whole event - then you will be totally stressed over it and have guests who are traveling for hours to get to this event...it is a real mess. Whatever you plan, make sure it is YOU who holds the reins to the event.
Example: if it is a luncheon cruise on your lake or river - then guests will understand if the boat is cancelled due to inclement weather and still enjoy your lodging. Hard to explain without saying to much, it is a situation I am currently dealing with and vowed it will never happen again!

May I play devil's advocate and mention what you DON'T want to do as a package?
Don't do anything that heavily relies on a third party specifically. If you have a special event and the third party is a prima donna and feels he is not getting enough attention and wants to change the whole event - then you will be totally stressed over it and have guests who are traveling for hours to get to this event...it is a real mess. Whatever you plan, make sure it is YOU who holds the reins to the event.
Example: if it is a luncheon cruise on your lake or river - then guests will understand if the boat is cancelled due to inclement weather and still enjoy your lodging. Hard to explain without saying to much, it is a situation I am currently dealing with and vowed it will never happen again!.
Don't do anything that heavily relies on a third party specifically.
AMEN!! My inn-to-inn was hugely successful for both inns, but I wanted more compensation for the dinners in a package that was MY idea and we had philosophical differences regarding amounts of increase vs the percentage of HIS increase. Package died before they retired due to that.
What I learned from that experience was that everyone does exactly the same thing. If there is a dinner - both do dinners. A lunch? both do the lunch. I take the highest room rate involved, add the price for the extra (lunch or dinner) and whatever else we include in the package. It is then divided in half and appropriate taxes added (we have different taxes). Does that mean my partners make more profit? Yes, because my rate is usually the higher of the two. Do I care? NO! I am getting what I want. Lesson is that if partnering - everyone does the same thing so no one feels they are doing more than the other.

And so the card is declined. Repeat after me "I WILL NEVER PUT TOGETHER A PACKAGE USING A THIRD PARTY AGAIN"
Meaning, something I cannot book or cancel at my leisure.
I am about to pitch a hissy. I will give this guest an hour or so and call again.

We do a package where if you book 2 nights in December you get free gift this can be a special care package (toiletries etc) or special tea or coffee (they are made locally from a famous company you may have heard of Called Betty's and Taylors of Harrogate) I try to pick gifts that are about $10.00 but look more expensive. (December is a really quiet month here) We are working on a deal where therapists come in to do head massages etc but this has to be organised by the guest we just intend to supply a list of people who we work with but are trying to make sure it doesn't look seedy (ie massage therapists in hotels etc) so we will probably limit the types of service. We are also thinking of working with a hair dresser friend for packages but its all in the ideas stage.

And so the card is declined. Repeat after me "I WILL NEVER PUT TOGETHER A PACKAGE USING A THIRD PARTY AGAIN"
Meaning, something I cannot book or cancel at my leisure.
I am about to pitch a hissy. I will give this guest an hour or so and call again..
Get out! One of the guests coming for the pkg?
Now that it's too late, let me jump in with how we handle pkgs that involve me forking over money to a third party...guest pays a non-refundable $300 deposit that covers all the purchases I have to make. I don't buy anything until the day before they arrive, but I still have the $300 in case they don't arrive.

Hillcrest Guest House, St. John, US Virgin Islands offers:
Environmental Engineers, Baby Boomers, Judges, Law Enforcement Officers, Firefighters, Teachers, Professors, US Government Employees and US Military, who book 3 days or more receive $100, upon arrival. ID required.
30% off, when you book fourteen (14) days or more and a $50 for Ronnies Pizza.
Book 3 days and receive 4th. day free. Email which day you want for free after you book. Book September to October and receive additional 10% off.
Booking on-line available at Expedia and Bed and Breakfast and at Hillcrest Guest House, http://www.HillcrestStJohn.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Call (340) 776-6774 & (340) 998-8388, cell sprint

My most popular one is the weekend booking with winery tour and overnight with wine tour.
My second most popular is the Sweetheart Package where the lady picks out an earring and necklace set made by a local artist. I check when they make the reservation for their two favorite colors and swap out the sets according to that. I have about 8 sets from which they pick.
RIki.
I like the thought out Sweetheart Package. It is unique and customizable for the guests, as well as benefits the artists in your community. Really great idea. How long have you been offering that package?

RIki.
I like the thought out Sweetheart Package. It is unique and customizable for the guests, as well as benefits the artists in your community. Really great idea. How long have you been offering that package?
We have been doing it for 5 years Marc. It is very popular with the guys and the ladies love it. Sometimes the lady of the couple books it!
Erika

RIki.
We have been doing it for 5 years Marc. It is very popular with the guys and the ladies love it. Sometimes the lady of the couple books it!
Erika
Nice. Do you feature the package with pictures of jewelry on your site or social media? Do you utilize the same jewelry artist or do you have a few different artists that you work with for a range of styles? This is such a good idea for guys like myself who are not great with gifting our better halves. This option allows us to gift while having the ladies actually make the decision of what she likes best. I can imagine this gets pretty popular around Feb.

RIki.
Erika
Nice. Do you feature the package with pictures of jewelry on your site or social media? Do you utilize the same jewelry artist or do you have a few different artists that you work with for a range of styles? This is such a good idea for guys like myself who are not great with gifting our better halves. This option allows us to gift while having the ladies actually make the decision of what she likes best. I can imagine this gets pretty popular around Feb.
Nope no pictures as all the pieces are different. She is very popular here. I just ask them to give me two colors that the wife likes and I swap out the colors so she is sure to find something she likes. It's just listed in my packages on my website.
Erika

Back