Packages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olga

Reaction score
I see all sorts of bed and breakfasts that offer 'packages' -- ie: 'girls weekend', 'scrapbooking', 'Spa weekend', etc. etc. Are there limits to what can be done? Are their any rules and regulations that need to be followed? Or just basically, only registered guests are allowed to participate?

You need to check with you local regulations. Some folks limit ONLY to guests. Other places which say have a business / spa also with their B & B and have another commercial license are open to the public. In general, I would suggest that your insurance will only cover guest activities. You would want to check with them. This is like breakfast. Under some health dept regs, you are only allowed to serve guest. Though some may bend that rule in places. It just depends on what your city/state regulations are.
Maybe some others who offer these packages will comment further. But for my friends, about the only packages people get from them are horseback riding ones, and massages. I don't know many who have had success with girls weekend or scrapbooking. Though one member here I think did scrapbooking successfully.

There's a B&B in a neigboring community that is open exclusively to scrapbookers. I'm guessing that's a regional thing.
We have a romance package and a golf package. Neither one brings in a lot of income, but they don't cost us anything either.

what is huge in the UK is Bridge and Scrabble no idea why but whatever floats your boat! I would be aware though that if there is say a group of 8 there for the activity and say one or two rooms that are not. The big group will pretty much take over everything including your attention so I would try and get only those people in. ie join scrabble facebook pages, bridge pages etc see how it goes. Also think about what they will need and how to store it the rest of the time ie bridge = packs of cards and so easily stored, scrap booking - will they bring their own stuff? could you make it part of the package collecting stuff? deals with local craft shops ie I have 5 arts and craft shops near me and do an arts and crafts hand out, could deals be negotiated? you could advertise it locally and do tournaments of competative things and it could possible double up as advertising and sell refreshments depending on local regs and numbers of people allowed in regs. The only thing to be aware of is if you use outside contractors ie murder mystry I would have to be very sure of them turning up as people on this forum have been let down last minute by outside contractors and what do you tell the housefull of guests?

My bike & winery package and the covered bridges and wineryhave been populart AND successful. The inn-to-inn motorcycle packages have been used but not a lot. those taking them loved them though. The overnight stabling package is a nice segment of my business. Most of my packages are tours of the area or activities in the area. You can make a package out of anything available and it does not have to be at YOUR inn. All my packages arethings that do not cost me a lot but bring me money. Any package created to up the profit margin (as opposed to just bring business ie the stabling) must have 3 or more things in it to prevent the guest from breaking out the individual cost of each item. If it is just 2 things, they know the room rate from your web site so the dinner is costing HOW MUCH!!!!! I add a packed lunch, routing (intellectual property has value), and sometimes a dinner.

If there are regulations on what you can do at your inn, you need to find out from the 'powers that be' where your inn is located.
You generally, but not everywhere, need to be licensed to operate and that license will cover what you can do.
Also, your insurance coverage may limit what you can do and who can be involved. ie- only registered guests.
Once you have covered what is not allowed, there is generally a very wide range of things you can do. Packages work for certain groups of people. Just having packages allows the guest to visualize why they might want to stay with you.

Back