Packing and moving lessons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
packing is not fun.
sorting is not fun.
throwing stuff away is not fun ... why is all this stuff here?!
cleaning up after the packing and sorting is sooo not fun.
donating or giving away things is fun if the things are going to someone who is happy to get them and not fun if someone acts like they are doing you a favor by taking them. (odd!)
example: 8 five-pound cans of coffee, assorted teas, packs of sugar and 1/2 and 1/2 to the local community center/grange - totally appreciated = fun
4 gold-trimmed wine glasses, a king size quilt set (these items were mine but make me sad), a waffle maker that sticks because i scrubbed off the non-stick (bad seashanty) given to a local girl getting her first apartment - she asked for these items plus many more but now it's 'oh, soooo many people are giving me things it's ridiculous' = not fun
smashing a bottle of champagne given as a wedding gift was cathartic fun.
smashing a few dishes that belonged to ex-partner was WAY fun. said partner is due here any time now to inventory the place so i must hide the smashing evidence!
wink_smile.gif

I have a shovel. I bet there are a few here who would come help clean up a mess we never saw. Good luck.

I know what you mean about giving things away...we just gave 20 pillows and twice as many sets of sheets to the homeless shelter. The guys unloading the car said, 'Wow! These pillows are almost new!' (They were not.) They were taking them from the car directly to the rooms to put on the beds. Ditto with the sheets, 'Thank you, thank you, anything else you have like this we appreciate it so much.'
I have also run across the 'I got SO much stuff,' eye rolling, ingratitude attitude that I once said, 'Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you,' and I took the things back. Now THAT gets a satisfying reaction from the giftee.
Plate-breaking...such a satisfying sound, what a release of tension and frustration and anger and hate. Good for you.
I have stacks of things I am giving away this year...hundreds of books to the library book sale, teddy bears from my years' old collection, stuff. I want to take the weight of 'things' off my shoulders.

Have a good time with it! Sounds like you are. Hey if you don't take those little glass butter thingys I sent you KK would like them:)
I have been trying to pack up stuff and give it away for the past year and there is still so much stuff here. I want to get rid of as much as I can because when we move in several years I hate the thought of having to pack it up then.

I know what you mean about giving things away...we just gave 20 pillows and twice as many sets of sheets to the homeless shelter. The guys unloading the car said, 'Wow! These pillows are almost new!' (They were not.) They were taking them from the car directly to the rooms to put on the beds. Ditto with the sheets, 'Thank you, thank you, anything else you have like this we appreciate it so much.'
I have also run across the 'I got SO much stuff,' eye rolling, ingratitude attitude that I once said, 'Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you,' and I took the things back. Now THAT gets a satisfying reaction from the giftee.
Plate-breaking...such a satisfying sound, what a release of tension and frustration and anger and hate. Good for you.
I have stacks of things I am giving away this year...hundreds of books to the library book sale, teddy bears from my years' old collection, stuff. I want to take the weight of 'things' off my shoulders..
I tried the yard sale thing, too much work for too little return. Decided it's easier to take it to Goodwill and at least get a little tax write off.
Good for you about getting rid of the weight on your shoulders. When my parents passed I was left with a lifetime of possessions that they had treasured, most of which meant nothing to me or was something that I did not need / already had.
It made me realize that everything is just "stuff". We can't take it with us. I wanted to give away their dining table, a lovely thing that I had grown up having Sabbath dinners on. Everyone said it was too old fashioned. Did not want it. Could not face giving it to someone that would have it burned with cigarettes or use it as a card table. Finally kept it and got rid of mine. That was "BC B&B". Same for my parent's dressing and side table. They now have a proud place here, but I try not to get hung up on stuff. We have so much more than we need.
............................... do you write off your replacement linens based on the cost of the new ones you bought less depreciation on FF&E which you may have already declared? Or just add the new ones in as a business expense and do nothing about the old ones?

I have stacks of things I am giving away this year...hundreds of books to the library book sale, teddy bears from my years' old collection, stuff. I want to take the weight of 'things' off my shoulders..
I tried the yard sale thing, too much work for too little return. Decided it's easier to take it to Goodwill and at least get a little tax write off.
Good for you about getting rid of the weight on your shoulders. When my parents passed I was left with a lifetime of possessions that they had treasured, most of which meant nothing to me or was something that I did not need / already had.
It made me realize that everything is just "stuff". We can't take it with us. I wanted to give away their dining table, a lovely thing that I had grown up having Sabbath dinners on. Everyone said it was too old fashioned. Did not want it. Could not face giving it to someone that would have it burned with cigarettes or use it as a card table. Finally kept it and got rid of mine. That was "BC B&B". Same for my parent's dressing and side table. They now have a proud place here, but I try not to get hung up on stuff. We have so much more than we need.
............................... do you write off your replacement linens based on the cost of the new ones you bought less depreciation on FF&E which you may have already declared? Or just add the new ones in as a business expense and do nothing about the old ones?
agoodman1963 said:
This may not come out right, but here goes...we write off the expense of purchasing at full price. We don't depreciate linens (that I know of) and we do take the tax write off when we donate them. Things we depreciate are what might be termed 'big' items (big in and of themselves, not necessarily price-wise). So, new fridge, computer, A/C unit, things like that. The linens really only have a life of about 2 years, not really long enough to depreciate.

Teddy bears are great for the Toys for Tots.
Another thought though, have you considered using them for on the bed with a card saying Happy Anniversary when you know you have an anniversary couple coming in?

Another thought though, have you considered using them for on the bed with a card saying Happy Anniversary when you know you have an anniversary couple coming in?
She's leaving the B & B..so that won't work.
I have boxes and boxes of stuffed animals my hubby has given me over the past 25 years! I only have a few out on display. I want so badly to give them away to someone who would really love them..but I am afraid I will hurt his feelings. Some day I will ask his permission to give some of them away. When the timing is right.

I have boxes and boxes of stuffed animals my hubby has given me over the past 25 years! I only have a few out on display. I want so badly to give them away to someone who would really love them..but I am afraid I will hurt his feelings. Some day I will ask his permission to give some of them away. When the timing is right.
Bree has the teddy bears. Taht answer was to Bree.

gillumhouse said:
I have a couple of ideas, but that is an excellent one...the anniversary/birthday bear idea. The other one was to give them to the police dept for emergency calls. I know they had them in the trunk of the cruisers in VT to give to kids in crisis.

agoodman1963 said:
This may not come out right, but here goes...we write off the expense of purchasing at full price. We don't depreciate linens (that I know of) and we do take the tax write off when we donate them. Things we depreciate are what might be termed 'big' items (big in and of themselves, not necessarily price-wise). So, new fridge, computer, A/C unit, things like that. The linens really only have a life of about 2 years, not really long enough to depreciate.
Thanks!

Bree has the teddy bears. Taht answer was to Bree.
Oh sorry. it's hard for me to keep track on which replies are for what??? Oh well.

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
In my county, if we buy it and CLAIM it as a business expense, sheets, towels, tv's, cutlery, pans, then the county then gets a copy of this for business property and we pay tax on it, then must depreciate it. So if I want to claim it, then this procedure kicks in. I fight the CPA on it all the time. NO! I will not depreciate linens!!! NO! But then we pay tax on out outdoor funiture and property tax on our FENCE! Which is why I am sure, we are the only house in the whole area that has a fence.

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
In my county, if we buy it and CLAIM it as a business expense, sheets, towels, tv's, cutlery, pans, then the county then gets a copy of this for business property and we pay tax on it, then must depreciate it. So if I want to claim it, then this procedure kicks in. I fight the CPA on it all the time. NO! I will not depreciate linens!!! NO! But then we pay tax on out outdoor funiture and property tax on our FENCE! Which is why I am sure, we are the only house in the whole area that has a fence.
I also have to pay taxes on everything - personal property tax to the County. Like my B & O, it is a self-reporting EXCEPT they want a copy of my schedule C from my income tax. The County (supposedly but I doubt it) then depreciates what was listed. It is supposed to be everything you had on July 1. They take my food decuction and divide it by 12 to determine what I had on hand on July 1 whether I were to do an inventory or not. That is why I claim as little as possible unless it is a big ticket item like a washer or refrigerator. I did not claim my custom built hutch - I do not want to be paying personal property tax on it forever. I usually have enough deductions with my utilities, insurance, and advertising that I do not need much else. This year my gasoline may get claimed because it was a banner year for revenue.

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
I also have to pay taxes on everything - personal property tax to the County. Like my B & O, it is a self-reporting EXCEPT they want a copy of my schedule C from my income tax. The County (supposedly but I doubt it) then depreciates what was listed. It is supposed to be everything you had on July 1. They take my food decuction and divide it by 12 to determine what I had on hand on July 1 whether I were to do an inventory or not. That is why I claim as little as possible unless it is a big ticket item like a washer or refrigerator. I did not claim my custom built hutch - I do not want to be paying personal property tax on it forever. I usually have enough deductions with my utilities, insurance, and advertising that I do not need much else. This year my gasoline may get claimed because it was a banner year for revenue.
gillumhouse said:
I claim MY car as it is a shopping cart, pure and simple. I do not do just gas mileage, but whole vehicle it is definately in use 70% for business. Back and forth I go... zoom zoom mobile.

Wonderful! Smashing is so cathartic
regular_smile.gif
Moving is a lot of work. We thought we might move one more time, but I don't know if I have the energy for it.
Good luck!!

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
Oh my, on a fence??? I guess we should be sympathetic to these people at the tax offices, we have to give them something to do to keep them busy.!!
I just received my property and ad valorum tax bills (county, city for each) - I am too scared to open them. Took them THREE years to stop sending them to the former owners at another address, and they made me pay the penalties.

Have a good time with it! Sounds like you are. Hey if you don't take those little glass butter thingys I sent you KK would like them:)
I have been trying to pack up stuff and give it away for the past year and there is still so much stuff here. I want to get rid of as much as I can because when we move in several years I hate the thought of having to pack it up then..
catlady said:
Yes I would, and I'd pay for the shipping!
=)
Kk.

seashanty said:
smashing a few dishes that belonged to ex-partner was WAY fun. said partner is due here any time now to inventory the place so i must hide the smashing evidence!
Inventory! What a crock! You'd better smash a few more! But good for you for doing it!!!!
I HATE moving! I never moved while I was growing up, then I moved 9 times in 11 years, partly cause I married a guy who had never lived more than a couple of years in one place. After the move where nothing was ready and everything needed cleaned and I sprained my ankle before the last two loads were taken I swore never again! That is, never again would I be so disorganized or unprepared.
Course, we've lived in 2-1/2 years and I'm finally "moving in" to our private spaces, but that mostly has to do with renovations.
NO FUN!!!
And yet, a new start is a good thing, too...
=)
Kk.

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
The town is phasing this out. The property tax is on the stuff we had already claimed we owned, but nothing new. We only had 'durable' goods on there...furniture, computers, appliances. Nothing 'non-durable' like sheets, etc.

Back