Paid links

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'd like some hard facts if anyone has them...would dropping a paid link that has been in place for 9 years impact a website's ranking with Google?

I dropped both Lanier and Iloveinns this year, and there has been no negative impat at all.

I guess it would depend on the link. EX: bedandbreakfast.com or bbonline... If those are the links that comes up for you highest, I wouldn't get rid of them. If a no name directory that doesn't do well for you...I'd consider not paying them any longer. Also I guess it depends on how much you pay.
I have given up trying to figure out Google. But I wouldn't be held ransom for it. I mean how high a ranking does Google give you 4? 5? Probably won't go any higher and I doubt lower after 9 years. But I will let SEO expert answer this one.
When I do a link check, it shows 14 page links showing from Google. That's not many and I wouldn't worry about not paying someone if they aren't delivering anything for you. But what is weird is that the Bandb.com does not show up as a link...but when you do an organic search it shows up. Hmmm so what do they consider "LINKED"??? GOt me!

I guess it would depend on the link. EX: bedandbreakfast.com or bbonline... If those are the links that comes up for you highest, I wouldn't get rid of them. If a no name directory that doesn't do well for you...I'd consider not paying them any longer. Also I guess it depends on how much you pay.
I have given up trying to figure out Google. But I wouldn't be held ransom for it. I mean how high a ranking does Google give you 4? 5? Probably won't go any higher and I doubt lower after 9 years. But I will let SEO expert answer this one.
When I do a link check, it shows 14 page links showing from Google. That's not many and I wouldn't worry about not paying someone if they aren't delivering anything for you. But what is weird is that the Bandb.com does not show up as a link...but when you do an organic search it shows up. Hmmm so what do they consider "LINKED"??? GOt me!.
Generally, I do really well on the Local map, and I hover around 5th place for organic searches that are specifically town, state, B&B.
What bothers me about the site is that it dropped 50% in Google Analytics since last year. A lot of directories have done that but I can still pinpoint bookings being made from those sites. This site is in the 'expensive' category at $30/month.

When I do a link check, it shows 14 page links showing from Google. That's not many and I wouldn't worry about not paying someone if they aren't delivering anything for you. But what is weird is that the Bandb.com does not show up as a link...but when you do an organic search it shows up. Hmmm so what do they consider "LINKED"??? GOt me!.
Generally, I do really well on the Local map, and I hover around 5th place for organic searches that are specifically town, state, B&B.
What bothers me about the site is that it dropped 50% in Google Analytics since last year. A lot of directories have done that but I can still pinpoint bookings being made from those sites. This site is in the 'expensive' category at $30/month.
If the site isn't sending you referrers at least worth that...then I would let them go. Do they show up in your top organic searches? If not..bye bye.

If the site isn't sending you referrers at least worth that...then I would let them go. Do they show up in your top organic searches? If not..bye bye.
No bookings that I can trace but they show up in a different search than my site does on its own. Theirs is more of an overall 'vacation in my state' sort of search.

No bookings that I can trace but they show up in a different search than my site does on its own. Theirs is more of an overall 'vacation in my state' sort of search.
But if you can't attribute any business from them..what is the point? Yeah people search for "xxx in your state" but that doesn't mean you are being found or even looked at in their site. Do they provide you with any "stats" as to how many visits/clicks your listing gets??? If I were paying them, I would be wanting some sort of feedback from the site as to why continue with it.
I know we have a "tourism" site that has spent a fortune on a new look, but there are fewer and fewer listings on it now then when we first did it over 9 years ago. Tells me they are not delivering for their clients ...who pay...and it is not cheap....because they are losing so many.

I dropped the Gorilla - no big deal change. Took the free offer and went back to see if there would be an increase (this was busy season July through Sept too) - no change. Dropped the Gorilla totally (had been considering going to bottom level route) - no change.
I do not worry about rankings because if I do I am allowing someone else to run MY business. We each have to do what we have to do for OUR particular business.

But if you can't attribute any business from them..what is the point? Yeah people search for "xxx in your state" but that doesn't mean you are being found or even looked at in their site. Do they provide you with any "stats" as to how many visits/clicks your listing gets??? If I were paying them, I would be wanting some sort of feedback from the site as to why continue with it.
I know we have a "tourism" site that has spent a fortune on a new look, but there are fewer and fewer listings on it now then when we first did it over 9 years ago. Tells me they are not delivering for their clients ...who pay...and it is not cheap....because they are losing so many.
Their stats differ widely from mine. It may be my filters that I have on GA. I was more wondering about how much 'clout' the incoming link has and if dropping a link that is that old makes a difference?

Their stats differ widely from mine. It may be my filters that I have on GA. I was more wondering about how much 'clout' the incoming link has and if dropping a link that is that old makes a difference?
Find out what their Google page rank is. if it is low...then forget it. DId you do a link check? link:www.xxxxxx.org or whatever it is? How many inbound links do they have? Do it for your site as well. Do they even show up in your links??? Check in yahoo too. I don't know if bing has any such thing or not.

Ignoring all other considerations like actual traffic and conversions they send you, to focus just on the search engine benefit of the link there are a few things to take into account:
  1. Is the page that links to your site indexed in google? - If the page is not indexed,,then dropping the listing can not negatively impact your current standing in the search engine results.
  2. What is the toolbarPR of the page that contains the link to your site? - The lower the toolbarPR of the page, the less impact the link can have on your site.
  3. How many outgoing links are on that page? (is yours the only link on that page or does that page link to 50 other places) - The more ougoing links there are on the page, the less impact it can have on you.
  4. Is the link a direct link to your site or is it redirected? - Only a direct link can be of benefit to you.
  5. What is the link text of the link? - If the link says "Visit website" it will have less benefit to you than if it says "abctown bed and breakfast".

catlady said:
Hmmm so what do they consider "LINKED"??? GOt me!
The link command provides very limited information and is often misinterpreted. The link command typically only reports ~10% of the links to a site that Google knows about. Worthless sites are rarely included, BUT that does not mean that any site that is not included is worthless.
The link command in yahoo is more helpful.

adding to swirt's points
If the link has a nofollow attribute, Google/Bing don't follow link juice through it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow

Ignoring all other considerations like actual traffic and conversions they send you, to focus just on the search engine benefit of the link there are a few things to take into account:
  1. Is the page that links to your site indexed in google? - If the page is not indexed,,then dropping the listing can not negatively impact your current standing in the search engine results.
  2. What is the toolbarPR of the page that contains the link to your site? - The lower the toolbarPR of the page, the less impact the link can have on your site.
  3. How many outgoing links are on that page? (is yours the only link on that page or does that page link to 50 other places) - The more ougoing links there are on the page, the less impact it can have on you.
  4. Is the link a direct link to your site or is it redirected? - Only a direct link can be of benefit to you.
  5. What is the link text of the link? - If the link says "Visit website" it will have less benefit to you than if it says "abctown bed and breakfast".
Interesting and very upsetting at the same time...I just went to check all of the points you listed and my listing is gone. How long it has been gone, I don't know. Maybe just from when I told them I wasn't renewing, but I still have a week or so left.
Well, at least the website is up to date...

swirt said:
1. Not sure how to tell.
2. 7/10 don't have the right page rank button installed.
3. About 30+ outgoing links, mostly not search-related (ie- generic links having nothing to do with how I searched to find that page)
4. redirect
5. name of inn
So I guess that answers my question, not that I really had a choice as the link is gone anyway.

Interesting and very upsetting at the same time...I just went to check all of the points you listed and my listing is gone. How long it has been gone, I don't know. Maybe just from when I told them I wasn't renewing, but I still have a week or so left.
Well at least you won't be throwing away your money any more. I would call them on removing it BEFORE your listing expires though :-(
Explain to the that their link is of no benefit to anyone either and see if they get antsy about it. They could lose some customers if the others know the same you do now.

Well at least you won't be throwing away your money any more. I would call them on removing it BEFORE your listing expires though :-(
Explain to the that their link is of no benefit to anyone either and see if they get antsy about it. They could lose some customers if the others know the same you do now.
That was their big push, which is why I asked the question...I would lose page position with Google because their site is so 'important.'

I was just looking to see which sites showed well for my search terms and lo and behold, lanier is back in the top 3. But when I look at the site, only 2 B&B's in my town are listed, the rest is 'surrounding area.'
And I do wish bandb.com would figure out how to make their site open faster. I just read that the new 'wait time' is 2 seconds. If nothing happens, bye bye. All I get is their blue background.

That was their big push, which is why I asked the question...I would lose page position with Google because their site is so 'important.'
Well I guess you can really tell them now!!! And I would
devil_smile.gif

I was just looking to see which sites showed well for my search terms and lo and behold, lanier is back in the top 3. But when I look at the site, only 2 B&B's in my town are listed, the rest is 'surrounding area.'
And I do wish bandb.com would figure out how to make their site open faster. I just read that the new 'wait time' is 2 seconds. If nothing happens, bye bye. All I get is their blue background.
I just checked bandb.com and mine loads instanteously. No wait whatsoever. May be your connection...not the site.

Back