PAII Conference

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambled_eggs

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gone to the big PAII confernece that is usually in April? I have always been curious about it. Sounds interesting with all the different cooking demonstrations and such. Just curious attending it is worth the time and money.

Generally, with the cost of the plane & the hotel, it has not worked out for us to attend. We'd usually be looking at well over $1000 each to attend.

Glad you asked the question! I first attended the PAII conference in Chicago (2002) as an aspiring innkeeper. Learned so much, and it really helped me prepare for opening our inn in 2003. Haven't missed a PAII conference since then. From the previous one in April, I came home with 31 action plans--making me a better innkeeper, my inn better, and my guests happier--and that equals more heads in bed and greater repeat guests. Yes, the conference is expensive when you consider travel costs. BUT i have saved more $$$ from what I have learned. One of my most popular breakfasts is from the cooking demo at Providence--made it today and of course sold cookbooks because it has the recipe in it. Easy recipe that anyone can make, but the PAII workshop taught me how to not only make the dish, but present it elegantly.
I urge you to consider attending! I learn lots, spend time with people who understand this wonderfully crazy innkeeping life, and save money by becoming better innkeepers.

Glad you asked the question! I first attended the PAII conference in Chicago (2002) as an aspiring innkeeper. Learned so much, and it really helped me prepare for opening our inn in 2003. Haven't missed a PAII conference since then. From the previous one in April, I came home with 31 action plans--making me a better innkeeper, my inn better, and my guests happier--and that equals more heads in bed and greater repeat guests. Yes, the conference is expensive when you consider travel costs. BUT i have saved more $$$ from what I have learned. One of my most popular breakfasts is from the cooking demo at Providence--made it today and of course sold cookbooks because it has the recipe in it. Easy recipe that anyone can make, but the PAII workshop taught me how to not only make the dish, but present it elegantly.
I urge you to consider attending! I learn lots, spend time with people who understand this wonderfully crazy innkeeping life, and save money by becoming better innkeepers..
lookoutpoint said:
I urge you to consider attending! I learn lots, spend time with people who understand this wonderfully crazy innkeeping life, and save money by becoming better innkeepers.
:welcome: to the forum!
What's the popular breakfast?
I want to make cookbooks but haven't done it yet. How much do you sell yours for?
ETA: OMG! I love the picture of the bench by the lake!!!! (I love mist on water...)
=)
Kk.

We want to go to both Mid Atlantic Conference and PAII - we may have to decide on one or the other unless we each go to one instead of both going. Decisions, decisions! thanks for your input, lookout!

I urge you to consider attending! I learn lots, spend time with people who understand this wonderfully crazy innkeeping life, and save money by becoming better innkeepers..
Welcome from Ohio!

We went to the one at Hilton Head as we were moving here to Charlottesville and staying at the time in the area so it was not so expensive. I found it good for beginners, and great for me since I had done all the research and my DH was along for the ride but wouldn't read anything. I dragged him to the programs and he learned a lot - especially since it was not coming from me!!!
I would love to continue but cannot afford it at this time. In the past we all felt that it was only useful for newbies, but I think Jay had injected some new blood into it.
Also in the past they had some vendors that were not that great - especially in the credit card processing dept. But I think that's all a different story now.
Riki

The annual conference is an attendance must each year. The program has much to offer to both the newbie and the longtime innkeeper. Our family has been involved in innkeeping for over 20 years and I think we have been to every conference except for one. Things change so often, especially concerning technology that we feel if we miss a year we are behind the curve. PAII can always teach an old dog new tricks!!
Because we highly value the Innkeeping Conference, we make the conference attendance part of our budget each year. We feel that we can't afford not to go.

The annual conference is an attendance must each year. The program has much to offer to both the newbie and the longtime innkeeper. Our family has been involved in innkeeping for over 20 years and I think we have been to every conference except for one. Things change so often, especially concerning technology that we feel if we miss a year we are behind the curve. PAII can always teach an old dog new tricks!!
Because we highly value the Innkeeping Conference, we make the conference attendance part of our budget each year. We feel that we can't afford not to go..
Welcome to Innspiring.com SaratogaArms.

Because we highly value the Innkeeping Conference, we make the conference attendance part of our budget each year. We feel that we can't afford not to go..
Welcome to the forum!!!

I can afford one Conference a year so I go to the MABB Conference when they have one. March 9-10, 2009 will be our Conference in Flatwoods, WV (geographic center of our State). We usually have very good workshops and some good vendors. We are inviting WV vendors to the Conference this time.

Got a question about PAII. I went to their website, as I have many times, and looked at the Aspiring Innkeeper links.
Anyone have any advice, good or bad, about an Aspiring becoming a PAII member? In terms of advantages, what will it get me?

Got a question about PAII. I went to their website, as I have many times, and looked at the Aspiring Innkeeper links.
Anyone have any advice, good or bad, about an Aspiring becoming a PAII member? In terms of advantages, what will it get me?.
penelope said:
Anyone have any advice, good or bad, about an Aspiring becoming a PAII member? In terms of advantages, what will it get me?
I joined for the forum. I thought there would be good links to the vendors as well. Thought the conferences would be good and the survey stats would be useful. I DO know that PAII has helped innkeepers who got slammed with termination fees from cc processors. I did find the forum very helpful while we were in the searching stage. The newsletters were helpful as well. I still have them in a binder.
I think you'll find this forum better and many innkeepers here have already posted links to the vendors. Altho there are no discounts for us as a group the way the PAII group gets vendor discounts, I think a number of vendors do a 'general' innkeeper discount anyway.
At the end I was only using PAII for the forum. Talk is cheap over here and I can use the money I spent on PAII to buy marketing for my guests to find me.
I DO think, tho, that it helps a new business to be able to state they are a member of various innkeeping organizations.

Welcome to the Forum. We were up in Saratoga Springs for a weekend in September. Were also there for "First Night" 2008. Once of our guests stayed at your place after leaving ours. Her daughter was taking the New York State Bar Exam. She had very nice things to say about your place and the both of you when she came back after the Bar Exam (her daughter was living in New Haven at the time). She said that the female innkeeper asked if her daughter had "thrown-up" yet. She said "no" and the reply was "they all do". :).
As far as attending the PAII Conference we did go in 2004 when it was in Providence. Since it was close we could drive there. Because we are small (3 units) and don't have staff so we closed for the weekend of the conference. I know that April is not usually a busy time for most B & B's but since we are in a college town we missed out on probably booking all our rooms for that time. Yale had just sent out their acceptance letters and were smoozing the prospective students, plus schools were on vacation and prosective parents were coming in with their parents to look at the school. The seminars were interesting and we met a lot of nice innkeepers. The best was actually meeting some of the vendors that we buy from and meeting the guys from Webervations and signing up for that.
The conference is not something that is in our budget and in fact we no longer belong to PAII. IMHO the conference is not worth the cost if you are small and your going to loose income for the weekend plus have the expense of the conference.

Anyone have any advice, good or bad, about an Aspiring becoming a PAII member? In terms of advantages, what will it get me?.
penelope said:
I joined for the forum. I thought there would be good links to the vendors as well. Thought the conferences would be good and the survey stats would be useful. I DO know that PAII has helped innkeepers who got slammed with termination fees from cc processors. I did find the forum very helpful while we were in the searching stage. The newsletters were helpful as well. I still have them in a binder.
I think you'll find this forum better and many innkeepers here have already posted links to the vendors. Altho there are no discounts for us as a group the way the PAII group gets vendor discounts, I think a number of vendors do a 'general' innkeeper discount anyway.
At the end I was only using PAII for the forum. Talk is cheap over here and I can use the money I spent on PAII to buy marketing for my guests to find me.
I DO think, tho, that it helps a new business to be able to state they are a member of various innkeeping organizations.
Thanks for your insight. My boss essentially said the same thing, but I've been trying to branch out more on my own and find out info for myself recently. She won't be there to help me forever!
I have found this forum to be very helpful and beneficial. I have considered the cost. I figure that I can put the PAII cost aside in my account and just be that much farther ahead, financially, and still get the benefit of this forum! Every little bit helps when it comes to putting together money to buy a b&b ! :)

Remember it's a tax deductible business expense .....
agoodman1963 said:
Remember it's a tax deductible business expense ....
It's tax deductible but you have to earn enough to pay for the tix to make that work.
wink_smile.gif

Remember it's a tax deductible business expense .....
agoodman1963 said:
Remember it's a tax deductible business expense ....
It's tax deductible but you have to earn enough to pay for the tix to make that work.
wink_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
I nearly mentioned that in my post but thought somewould would make another odd remark .. ah yes, a few years ago my book keeper asked me what I wanted to do with my huge loss and I was like "what can I do with it???"
Apparently if you don't make a profit within 5 years the IRS considers it a hobby, I guess I have one more year of grace!!

You can become an aspiring with most state assocations. I don't know what the cost is for PAII. But if you join in a state association that means you can attend their meetings and get more personal assistance from the innkeepers in your region. Great networking.

Back