PAII Innkeeper Magazine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh... I want to be on your qualified list!
=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
although i am wondering how expensive it would be to have soup and sandwhich fixins and all those things on hand for business travelers that are mentioned in the article. i have NEVER stayed in a b&b or hotel or anywhere that had all kinds of free food available like that in the evening ... except when i stayed with family.
wink_smile.gif
even then, i put some money in the till. did i read that correctly?
and also if this would be considered providing a meal other than breakfast and so not allowed in maine?
You don't have to agree with the article and of course rules and regulations are different in every location. But is just shows how those folks really go all out to take care of their business customers.
not saying i agree or disagree with what other places do. but i have valid points.
two summers ago or maybe it was the three, i bought fresh made fish chowder and crusty bread, and a dessert, (big bucks) from the general store for a couple who stayed with me ... they were very unhappy and didn't want to stay the two nites they booked because the restaurant they planned to eat at was closed without notice. they went over all set to eat and were turned away by a closed sign on the door. this is a tiny village with only 2 restaurants and the other one had not opened yet for the summer. they ate in the library.
they were happy but told other guests. so then i had other guests asking for the chowder.
then i got a call a few weeks later ... from another b&b where this couple stayed in maine ... that it was against the law for me to be serving dinners and i could be reported and lose my license.
don't know who was going to do the reporting (someone from the other b&b?) but it was a threat and a worry i didn't need. scared this new innkeeper (me!) i told the caller i didn't even make the 'dinner' here! i had already learned i could not cook guest dinners of any kind here.
so then i did a little research with the state and was told i couldn't even serve it. jeesh. couldn't even heat it up for them or take the money for it. this would all have to be handled by a third party from the store or place with the commercial kitchen licensed to sell food.
if soup made offsite is left in the guest 'pantry' for guests gratis, i believe that would be okay as long as the innkeeper doesn't serve it? but lots more money than a great soup i could make up myself. last time i checked, this particular fish chowder was about $12 a quart, (which the two people ate) plus the bread and the dessert.
other innkeepers have to know what the rules are ... depending on where they are.
i didn't plan to repeat it any way as it was too expensive for me to do on a regular basis.
you could go round and round with this ... would bringing in the guests justify the cost, would the guests not be there if the service wasn't provided, etc.
That's pretty much my understanding...we can't even go pick up a pizza for the guests. Anything that requires our dirty little unsanitary hands to touch it (after 11 AM) is off limits. So, you could definitely serve them the pre-packaged oyster crackers FOR the chowdah, but not the actual chowdah. Even if it is made in a licensed, commercial kitchen. When we did the gourmet dinners here we had the chef on premises doing the cooking and serving. No idiot innkeepers touched anything. We schmoozed.
And, yes, the inn would have turned you in. It happened here. All it takes is one unhappy innkeeper getting wind of another innkeeper attempting to do something involving food and you're in deep. Which is why ALL of our advertising for the dinners made it VERY clear that the chef would be on premises and all the food prep took place in HIS kitchen at HIS restaurant and nothing was prepped at any of the inns and it was all plated by the cook.

Thanks for the kudos, catlady.
We've been working hard to put out a quality magazine. The industry deserves a good magazine, and we're fortunate in that vendors have been willing to support it with their advertising dollars.
We launched the magazine in the summer of 2007. PAII members have been getting the magazine every quarter. With each issue we selected a different list of about 3,000 non-member innkeepers from our database and sent the magazine to them, to get a sampling of it out in the industry. Advertisers appreciated the larger circulation, and it allowed more folks to see what PAII is doing.
Beginning with the next issue (Winter 2009), we will be sending the magazine each quarter to our qualified list of about 15,000+ innkeepers throughout the United States (and international PAII members). Our intent is for the magazine to be an industry publication, rather than just a member publication. On one hand, it would be nice to keep the magazine as a member benefit, but I believe the magazine will be stronger if the entire industry gets it each quarter. As long as the advertisers are willing to support the wider circulation, our plan is to send it to the entire industry.
For those on this forum who haven't received the Fall issue, click here to take a gander.
Jay Karen.
Thanks, Jay! That's great that it's online, and it looks like a wonderful publication at first glance (I'll need to set aside some time to sit and stare at the monitor later on).
Can aspirings get onto the circulation list somehow? Haven't yet signed up for membership, but I hope to soon.

We've been working hard to put out a quality magazine. The industry deserves a good magazine, and we're fortunate in that vendors have been willing to support it with their advertising dollars.
We launched the magazine in the summer of 2007. PAII members have been getting the magazine every quarter. With each issue we selected a different list of about 3,000 non-member innkeepers from our database and sent the magazine to them, to get a sampling of it out in the industry. Advertisers appreciated the larger circulation, and it allowed more folks to see what PAII is doing.
Beginning with the next issue (Winter 2009), we will be sending the magazine each quarter to our qualified list of about 15,000+ innkeepers throughout the United States (and international PAII members). Our intent is for the magazine to be an industry publication, rather than just a member publication. On one hand, it would be nice to keep the magazine as a member benefit, but I believe the magazine will be stronger if the entire industry gets it each quarter. As long as the advertisers are willing to support the wider circulation, our plan is to send it to the entire industry.
For those on this forum who haven't received the Fall issue, click here to take a gander.
Jay Karen.
Thanks, Jay! That's great that it's online, and it looks like a wonderful publication at first glance (I'll need to set aside some time to sit and stare at the monitor later on).
Can aspirings get onto the circulation list somehow? Haven't yet signed up for membership, but I hope to soon.
Hi Stephanie,
Right now, only aspiring innkeepers who are members of PAII will automatically get the magazine. Of course, we will be posting the issue online for the public to read through the PAII web site. So, if you prefer to have a hard copy that you can read at your leisure that arrives in the mail, you'll need to join. If you prefer to remind yourself to check the PAII web site for the latest issue, then you don't need to join.
We've been running a special $99 6-month special for new members and didn't make the special available to aspiring innkeepers. If you call my office, I'll be happy to get you going on the same 6-month offer. That will ensure you get the Winter 2009 issue in the mail.
regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay

Jay Karen.
Hi Stephanie,
Right now, only aspiring innkeepers who are members of PAII will automatically get the magazine. Of course, we will be posting the issue online for the public to read through the PAII web site. So, if you prefer to have a hard copy that you can read at your leisure that arrives in the mail, you'll need to join. If you prefer to remind yourself to check the PAII web site for the latest issue, then you don't need to join.
We've been running a special $99 6-month special for new members and didn't make the special available to aspiring innkeepers. If you call my office, I'll be happy to get you going on the same 6-month offer. That will ensure you get the Winter 2009 issue in the mail.
regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay
Wow, thanks! I didn't realize you posted the publication to the homepage for public access.
We haven't even started to look at memberships yet, but PAII would be up on the list. Thanks for the offer. In case I haven't mentioned it, I've been really impressed with your involvement on this forum and the industry. I'm still learning about it all, but it sounds like PAII is really doing a lot for its members.
Thank you.

bree, and other 'mainiacs' ... do you think that this turning in of other innkeepers for breaking rules is more common in maine or maybe we just hear about it more?

bree, and other 'mainiacs' ... do you think that this turning in of other innkeepers for breaking rules is more common in maine or maybe we just hear about it more?.
seashanty said:
bree, and other 'mainiacs' ... do you think that this turning in of other innkeepers for breaking rules is more common in maine or maybe we just hear about it more?
It probably happens everywhere, it's just that we have heard these stories because we're here. Then again, if EVERYONE is breaking the rules...

bree, and other 'mainiacs' ... do you think that this turning in of other innkeepers for breaking rules is more common in maine or maybe we just hear about it more?.
seashanty said:
It probably happens everywhere, it's just that we have heard these stories because we're here. Then again, if EVERYONE is breaking the rules...
Bree said:
seashanty said:
I would think it happens more there since there are rules to be broken. That is, you don't hear about it in Ohio because it's not illegal in Ohio.
=)
Kk.

seashanty said:
Bree said:
seashanty said:
I would think it happens more there since there are rules to be broken. That is, you don't hear about it in Ohio because it's not illegal in Ohio.
=)
Kk.
According to our health inspector here in Virginia, they went onto the B&B websites and looked for inns offering dinner. Some were and those are the ones that they went and told them to stop.
Riki

I have only begun to read the article, but a point was made I wanted to discuss with you all: "The last thing most of our business travelers want is a full breakfast." the Belotes said (Innkeepers)
I must have a totally unique set of business travelers here, because that is the exact opposite of what our business guests want. The line prior to that is "They feature a self serve express continental available 24 hours a day for business travelers on the go."
I just don't get this! The reason a business guest WOULD book a B&B over a hotel is the homeliness. This includes a home cooked meal versus the stinky continentals or muffins on the go they typically have, day in and day out. Most hotels offer the stale continental, why do we want to emulate that? Aren't B&B's better than chain hotels? Isn't offering a 24 hour pastry, apple and coffee the same thing hotels throw in?
Our business guests RELISH the fact that they can sit down to a nice hot home cooked meal. Yes, we serve it earlier or as required for business guests. They love it. Of course they DO want privacy, and comfort and to be left alone. 100%!
I always cringe even on this forum when I hear innkeepers say they ONLY give business guests a to-go breakfast or continental left out or in the guest fridge. We discount their rooms, sure, but we also want their business. #1 we support our local economy by hosting these business guests who are here to visit our local businesses. #2 we want repeat guests, we also want them to tell those at the local business how wonderful our B&B is...word of mouth advert. #3 business guests leave early, work late to git r done, and are absolutely the easiest guests we have. Trouble-free - they don't require the song and dance routine at breakfast or entertaining.
All of that equates to a care free VIP guest in my estimation.

I have only begun to read the article, but a point was made I wanted to discuss with you all: "The last thing most of our business travelers want is a full breakfast." the Belotes said (Innkeepers)
I must have a totally unique set of business travelers here, because that is the exact opposite of what our business guests want. The line prior to that is "They feature a self serve express continental available 24 hours a day for business travelers on the go."
I just don't get this! The reason a business guest WOULD book a B&B over a hotel is the homeliness. This includes a home cooked meal versus the stinky continentals or muffins on the go they typically have, day in and day out. Most hotels offer the stale continental, why do we want to emulate that? Aren't B&B's better than chain hotels? Isn't offering a 24 hour pastry, apple and coffee the same thing hotels throw in?
Our business guests RELISH the fact that they can sit down to a nice hot home cooked meal. Yes, we serve it earlier or as required for business guests. They love it. Of course they DO want privacy, and comfort and to be left alone. 100%!
I always cringe even on this forum when I hear innkeepers say they ONLY give business guests a to-go breakfast or continental left out or in the guest fridge. We discount their rooms, sure, but we also want their business. #1 we support our local economy by hosting these business guests who are here to visit our local businesses. #2 we want repeat guests, we also want them to tell those at the local business how wonderful our B&B is...word of mouth advert. #3 business guests leave early, work late to git r done, and are absolutely the easiest guests we have. Trouble-free - they don't require the song and dance routine at breakfast or entertaining.
All of that equates to a care free VIP guest in my estimation..
It's the rare biz guest who doesn't want the full breakfast here as well. We even have a group that comes every year for a convention, where they are fed really good muffins, coffee, etc, who insist they want our breakfast, too. Their day starts at the convention at 8 AM, so they eat brekkie here at 7. By 8:30 the entire house is empty AND cleaned!
Most of the biz guests we get are the ones who run the meetings they are here to chair, so THEY set the time and agenda to meet their schedule. We have one guy who drives an hour to get to his meetings! He doesn't eat breakfast. But he likes staying here.

Hi JBJ,
I think the ideal approach would be to offer the business guest their choice. I try to stay exclusively at B&Bs when I travel for business, and there are trips when I have time for the sit-down, full breakfast - and that is what I highly prefer. Nothing like a wonderfully prepared meal at a B&B. But there certainly are times (and probably more than not) when I have to be at an 8 am meeting, which means I simply cannot stay for the full deal. I wish I could, but I realize I'm not getting the full experience if I have to skip the bigger breakfast. I know a lot of innkeepers get disappointed when some travelers cannot experience their breakfasts. After all it is the second "B" in "B&B."
I would say VIP treatment, though, is giving the business traveler what he or she hopes for. If he wants a muffin and banana in the fridge in the morning, and he's able to get it, that's VIP treatment. If she's able to grab a hot cup of coffee in a to-go cup on the way out the door at 5 am, because she has to catch a 6:45 am flight, that's VIP treatment. If the flight is not until 11 am, and she can stay for the full breakfast at 8 am, that is VIP treatment too. If I was asked by the innkeeper, "As one of our business travelers, how can we meet your breakfast needs each morning...will you be joining the house for breakfast at 8 am? Can we pack you a to-go breakfast the night before your early departure? Do you prefer coffee, decaf coffee or hot tea in your to-go cup?" That is VIP treatment.
So, if you are flexible enough to provide the option to your business travelers of a quick, continental breakfast or sitting down to the full breakfast, you're in a good position to have some loyal corporate guests. I would suggest you do your best to have a freshly baked muffin, versus the one that tastes like it just came out of a Sams Club box. I don't think providing only a muffin is the issue; it's more about how good is that muffin compared to the Hampton Inn muffin? That's what makes B&Bs better than chain hotels.
My two cents.
Jay

i am WAY out of the loop on this. very little business travel ... but the one guy i did have this past summer was going out to one of the islands to talk about real estate development ... he was being picked up at 6:30 by private launch ... and i had a full breakfast for him at 6 by request. he was very happy.
all i can think is that you have to really know your client base and work from that. talk to each guest, find out what their plans are (supposed to be) and do your best to be accommodating. you can't be all things to all people but innkeepers (especially on this forum) really try to give what is wanted.

It's the rare biz guest who doesn't want the full breakfast here as well. We even have a group that comes every year for a convention, where they are fed really good muffins, coffee, etc, who insist they want our breakfast, too. Their day starts at the convention at 8 AM, so they eat brekkie here at 7. By 8:30 the entire house is empty AND cleaned!
Most of the biz guests we get are the ones who run the meetings they are here to chair, so THEY set the time and agenda to meet their schedule. We have one guy who drives an hour to get to his meetings! He doesn't eat breakfast. But he likes staying here.
Bree said:
YES Another very valid point. They have breakfast meetings and get the full muffin and coffee treatment. They mention this to me and tell me they would prefer having a nice meal before they go.
My husband is one who will be the first to say "A muffin and coffee is not his idea of breakfast" and in fact leaves him lethargic. He needs protein, not sugar. So any of these type meetings that vendors put on he will not even touch the muffins and coffee.

Hi JBJ,
I think the ideal approach would be to offer the business guest their choice. I try to stay exclusively at B&Bs when I travel for business, and there are trips when I have time for the sit-down, full breakfast - and that is what I highly prefer. Nothing like a wonderfully prepared meal at a B&B. But there certainly are times (and probably more than not) when I have to be at an 8 am meeting, which means I simply cannot stay for the full deal. I wish I could, but I realize I'm not getting the full experience if I have to skip the bigger breakfast. I know a lot of innkeepers get disappointed when some travelers cannot experience their breakfasts. After all it is the second "B" in "B&B."
I would say VIP treatment, though, is giving the business traveler what he or she hopes for. If he wants a muffin and banana in the fridge in the morning, and he's able to get it, that's VIP treatment. If she's able to grab a hot cup of coffee in a to-go cup on the way out the door at 5 am, because she has to catch a 6:45 am flight, that's VIP treatment. If the flight is not until 11 am, and she can stay for the full breakfast at 8 am, that is VIP treatment too. If I was asked by the innkeeper, "As one of our business travelers, how can we meet your breakfast needs each morning...will you be joining the house for breakfast at 8 am? Can we pack you a to-go breakfast the night before your early departure? Do you prefer coffee, decaf coffee or hot tea in your to-go cup?" That is VIP treatment.
So, if you are flexible enough to provide the option to your business travelers of a quick, continental breakfast or sitting down to the full breakfast, you're in a good position to have some loyal corporate guests. I would suggest you do your best to have a freshly baked muffin, versus the one that tastes like it just came out of a Sams Club box. I don't think providing only a muffin is the issue; it's more about how good is that muffin compared to the Hampton Inn muffin? That's what makes B&Bs better than chain hotels.
My two cents.
Jay
jkarennj said:
Hi JBJ,
My two cents.
Jay
Yes you nailed it. Choices. Perhaps we should all make a short list of options to recall when needed for business guests. "TOO HOMEY" can also be detrimental. Many business guests smoke, so I find that is an issue as well, one reason they like to simply stay in a hotel where they can smoke in bed.
Something else that makes the business guest opt for the muffin and to-go cup is the fact they do not wish to sit at a table full or tourists/visitors and chat. This is a big deterring factor to most B&B's in my opinion. We as innkeepers have so many guests that we often forget to offer the option, and to any single guest as well. Breakfast delivered to your room?
I would like to say my muffins are better than your muffins, but in reality it all comes down to cake for breakfast, day in and day out. Chocolate or yellow cake, makes no difference. It is all cake, even with some bran thrown in.
wink_smile.gif

Last year what saved my revenue butt was a business man who was here for several months on contact. He would come in on Sunday and be here 3 to 4 nights a week. He stayed here for the breakfast and hominess - he got a full breakfast at 6am every morning and loved the fact he got a cup of coffee and a baggie of muffins to go every morning. I served breakfast with to go cup and muffin bag on the table and disappeared unless he wanted something. He would not be back until 9 or 10 pm as he usually had dinner with the others in his group who were staying at the hotels - across the street.
A few weeks into the arrangement, the per diem rate went up, and he told me it did! It gave me an extra $5 per night. He wanted BREAKFAST! (and muffins for break)

I am in agreement, most of my business guests want the full breakfast but for those that do not, I will set out something quick for them - most of the time their choice. For the last several years business travelers have been my primary business and most comment that it is the 2nd 'B' that puts us over the top but that the extra comfort and quiet are better here as well.
I admit I have not read all the article as it is harder to read on the screen, need to print. (note to self)
One thing we B&B's will have trouble competing with are REWARD Points. Just bumped into one of my former business customers in town. He was a little embarrassed as he explained....the hotel promised double points to my associate this time, so I couldn't pass that up either. For as long as they stay, they will most likely rack up a nice summer vacation through that hotel.
cry_smile.gif
This guy has stayed with us several times and raved endlessly over our comfort and it being so quiet here as well as the hardy breakfast. - What I can't offer is a 'free' vacation anywhere USA.

I am in agreement, most of my business guests want the full breakfast but for those that do not, I will set out something quick for them - most of the time their choice. For the last several years business travelers have been my primary business and most comment that it is the 2nd 'B' that puts us over the top but that the extra comfort and quiet are better here as well.
I admit I have not read all the article as it is harder to read on the screen, need to print. (note to self)
One thing we B&B's will have trouble competing with are REWARD Points. Just bumped into one of my former business customers in town. He was a little embarrassed as he explained....the hotel promised double points to my associate this time, so I couldn't pass that up either. For as long as they stay, they will most likely rack up a nice summer vacation through that hotel.
cry_smile.gif
This guy has stayed with us several times and raved endlessly over our comfort and it being so quiet here as well as the hardy breakfast. - What I can't offer is a 'free' vacation anywhere USA..
Copperhead said:
cry_smile.gif
This guy has stayed with us several times and raved endlessly over our comfort and it being so quiet here as well as the hardy breakfast. - What I can't offer is a 'free' vacation anywhere USA.
Which is part of the bandb.com new program, right? Earn rewards points by staying at ANY B&B toward a stay at any OTHER B&B.
I agree about rewards points, or other hotel options. We had an open house here today and one group who went thru were staying at a hotel. Why? They work for that hotel and their room was $39. There's no way I can afford to give away rooms to 'lodging professionals' at that price.

Hi JBJ,
My two cents.
Jay
I agree. This is perfect - what is VIP treatment for one biz guest may not be VIP treatment for another. Just had some European biz guests who don't eat big American breakfasts but they want something "homemade" and healthy. After a couple of visits, I may have it figured out.
These guests also appreciate a flexible check-out time so that they can conclude their business & then come back & change into travel clothes. As long as I can do that for them, I will.

I have no problem with late arrivals or late check-outs or early breakfasts. I will throw together a lite something if needed, although I already provide a basket of bananas, apples, cookies, and snacks in each guestroom "in case of an attack of the minchies". I will iron or press somethin if needed at no charge. But I am not going to do anyone's laundry (not going to chance ruining something) and there is no way I am going to allow someone to cook anything in my kitchen at any hour.
We have very nasty roads tonight so I told my relief at Chapel to roll over and go back to sleep - she lives out in the country - so I had time to read the whole magazine tonight. Yes, I do want business travelers, but not at the expense of turning myself into a doormat. No hotel is going to provide half of what is suggested in that article. I am not going to make my stove available (or my kitchen knives) for a guest to burn themselves on or cut... My experience with business travelers has been they want good food, quiet time, comfortable bed, a shirt pressed once in a while.... My travelers have always liked the care package of muffins and the fresh-ground coffee to - go as that little extra (plus the fact that I accomodate their food dislikes and dirt needs). ALL my guests get treated"special" because they are - they are MY guests.

I think most of us go above and beyond for business guests, but we do not have it in print. They do not know this until they are here, and quite frankly we have to be careful advertising super special-ness to business guests who actually get the rooms at a lower cost than the special occasion or regular guest.
I do not think business guests are wanting as much as is being sold in the article. I also think we are putting ourselves up for issues with our normal guests should we advertise too much special vip treatment for business guests who really just want a quiet place to fall and wi fi and cable tv.

Back