PAII Innkeeper Magazine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Just got the newest edition of the PAII magazine. Very impressive. If I was still in innkeeping, I would definitely give it a try...especially for the 6 months offer. I think they are getting their act together and that is a very good thing.
The articles on attracting business people were excellent. It now makes me really know that I was a 'lifestyle B & B" because my original intent was to never work that hard :) I worked hard with what I did, but there was no way I was in it to make a living....for sure:)
If you are in a location where you get business traffic and want to increase your business, read these articles.....if you all got the magazine:)

I usually get it even tho we're not members any more. I guess I'll wait and see...

I believe the magazine goes to a wider mailing list than just PAII members now, since one or two issues ago. It is being sent to all B&Bs, although I don't know how they obtain or maintain that membership list.

grump. i didn't renew and haven't got anything. i feel like i should because i paid dues for three years and didn't get much out of paii. oh well. grump grump grump

Thanks for the kudos, catlady.
We've been working hard to put out a quality magazine. The industry deserves a good magazine, and we're fortunate in that vendors have been willing to support it with their advertising dollars.
We launched the magazine in the summer of 2007. PAII members have been getting the magazine every quarter. With each issue we selected a different list of about 3,000 non-member innkeepers from our database and sent the magazine to them, to get a sampling of it out in the industry. Advertisers appreciated the larger circulation, and it allowed more folks to see what PAII is doing.
Beginning with the next issue (Winter 2009), we will be sending the magazine each quarter to our qualified list of about 15,000+ innkeepers throughout the United States (and international PAII members). Our intent is for the magazine to be an industry publication, rather than just a member publication. On one hand, it would be nice to keep the magazine as a member benefit, but I believe the magazine will be stronger if the entire industry gets it each quarter. As long as the advertisers are willing to support the wider circulation, our plan is to send it to the entire industry.
For those on this forum who haven't received the Fall issue, click here to take a gander.
Jay Karen

We've been working hard to put out a quality magazine. The industry deserves a good magazine, and we're fortunate in that vendors have been willing to support it with their advertising dollars.
We launched the magazine in the summer of 2007. PAII members have been getting the magazine every quarter. With each issue we selected a different list of about 3,000 non-member innkeepers from our database and sent the magazine to them, to get a sampling of it out in the industry. Advertisers appreciated the larger circulation, and it allowed more folks to see what PAII is doing.
Beginning with the next issue (Winter 2009), we will be sending the magazine each quarter to our qualified list of about 15,000+ innkeepers throughout the United States (and international PAII members). Our intent is for the magazine to be an industry publication, rather than just a member publication. On one hand, it would be nice to keep the magazine as a member benefit, but I believe the magazine will be stronger if the entire industry gets it each quarter. As long as the advertisers are willing to support the wider circulation, our plan is to send it to the entire industry.
For those on this forum who haven't received the Fall issue, click here to take a gander.
Jay Karen.
I got the last issue of IQ and really enjoyed it. I hope I'm still on the list :) It's not the same imvvho to read a nice publication like this online...much better to hold it and read it!

Oooh... I want to be on your qualified list!
=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
although i am wondering how expensive it would be to have soup and sandwhich fixins and all those things on hand for business travelers that are mentioned in the article. i have NEVER stayed in a b&b or hotel or anywhere that had all kinds of free food available like that in the evening ... except when i stayed with family.
wink_smile.gif
even then, i put some money in the till. did i read that correctly?
and also if this would be considered providing a meal other than breakfast and so not allowed in maine?

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
although i am wondering how expensive it would be to have soup and sandwhich fixins and all those things on hand for business travelers that are mentioned in the article. i have NEVER stayed in a b&b or hotel or anywhere that had all kinds of free food available like that in the evening ... except when i stayed with family.
wink_smile.gif
and also if this would be considered providing a meal other than breakfast and so not allowed in maine?
You don't have to agree with the article and of course rules and regulations are different in every location. But is just shows how those folks really go all out to take care of their business customers.

Jay Karen.
Ooooh....cool ...like it being available on line as well. More forward thinking on your part. Now, if you can just get your PAII website up to speed and looking 21st century..that would be great:)

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
When I was still doing consulting work just after we started at the B&B, I went on a trip and stayed at a Residence Inn or something like that where they offered free munchy type food every evening - sometimes hot dogs and burgers, sometimes wings, etc. No liquor and there was no bar there. Every Monday they had a manager's reception with appetizers. For business people who are uncomfortable going out to dinner on their own, that would be a good draw.

Jay Karen.
Ooooh....cool ...like it being available on line as well. More forward thinking on your part. Now, if you can just get your PAII website up to speed and looking 21st century..that would be great:)
Yeah, yeah...I know. The PAII web site has been a big liability IMHO, and it's taken me about a year to find the right company to help us with a new site. We just signed a contract with them last week, so we're going to be moving full speed ahead on the new site now. It took so long, because we couldn't just use any ole web design company. We had to find one that fully integrated with our Association Management Software. We have the need for a sophisticated database system to manage events, memberships, invoices, communications, etc, and it has to tie dynamically to our web site, because we have a Members Only area. It's taken so long, because we want to do it right. We sat through demo after demo of different software/web products over the past many months, and I'm thrilled that we can now move forward. So, members and the public will soon see a web site that is on par with some of the other stuff we are now putting out, such as the magazine. It will have social networking features, discussion blogs, an improved B&B directory, and much more of the educational content we have only been emailing members. Now it will all be online and searchable. Ok, enough for now. But, you're right. The web site looks like it's stuck in 1998. Onward and upward.
Jay

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
My daughter lived in a hotel for 6 weeks this summer. Marriott. They had the free breakfast every morning and then, twice a week, there was some sort of free dinner. One night it was a bar-b-q sort of thing, the other it was an indoors appetizer sort of thing. Being as they were saving their pennies at the moment, they went to every free meal they could. And, hate to say it, took yogurt and fruit from the breakfast bar to eat at lunch. (My kids have NEVER, EVER walked away from free food.)

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
When I was still doing consulting work just after we started at the B&B, I went on a trip and stayed at a Residence Inn or something like that where they offered free munchy type food every evening - sometimes hot dogs and burgers, sometimes wings, etc. No liquor and there was no bar there. Every Monday they had a manager's reception with appetizers. For business people who are uncomfortable going out to dinner on their own, that would be a good draw.
I can't remember what hotel we stayed in at Orlando..but they offered free dinner every night!! It wasn't gourmet or anything..but huge salad bar, I think there was spaghetti one night, dessert bar...a really big spread. It was great for families and we even ate there one night.

Jay Karen.
Yeah, yeah...I know. The PAII web site has been a big liability IMHO, and it's taken me about a year to find the right company to help us with a new site. We just signed a contract with them last week, so we're going to be moving full speed ahead on the new site now. It took so long, because we couldn't just use any ole web design company. We had to find one that fully integrated with our Association Management Software. We have the need for a sophisticated database system to manage events, memberships, invoices, communications, etc, and it has to tie dynamically to our web site, because we have a Members Only area. It's taken so long, because we want to do it right. We sat through demo after demo of different software/web products over the past many months, and I'm thrilled that we can now move forward. So, members and the public will soon see a web site that is on par with some of the other stuff we are now putting out, such as the magazine. It will have social networking features, discussion blogs, an improved B&B directory, and much more of the educational content we have only been emailing members. Now it will all be online and searchable. Ok, enough for now. But, you're right. The web site looks like it's stuck in 1998. Onward and upward.
Jay
THAT IS GREAT! And, another incentive for new members:) I figured you were on it..because you are too forward thinking not to be. Good luck!

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
My daughter lived in a hotel for 6 weeks this summer. Marriott. They had the free breakfast every morning and then, twice a week, there was some sort of free dinner. One night it was a bar-b-q sort of thing, the other it was an indoors appetizer sort of thing. Being as they were saving their pennies at the moment, they went to every free meal they could. And, hate to say it, took yogurt and fruit from the breakfast bar to eat at lunch. (My kids have NEVER, EVER walked away from free food.)
Bree said:
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
Totally off topic, sorta - but back to the gratuities thing where people are shocked at some of the places you should tip. (Gee how did I squeeze that in here? Sorry I have not read the article, only what y'all have mentioned about it). I worked a happy hour when I was in school wherein the food was free, we had peel your own prawns, carved a roast beef, all sorts of diff free food each evening.
The reason? (from the owners perspective) was to buy drinks, the reason I served up the food - the make tips. Prawn night I usually made a $60-100 in tips. The "boat people" would come in - boat people being those living or staying on their yachts at the slips there on the island - some famous, some very wealthy, some just livin' on a boat. Some would come in and eat and leave while milking one cheapo drink and no tipping. Everyone knows a cheapskate and do not want them. Free food from my experience is not just because someone is being nice. There is a reason.
Maybe someone can post the article for us to read who are not in PAII? Someone with authority to do so, ahem, who represents PAII.
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
You don't have to agree with the article and of course rules and regulations are different in every location. But is just shows how those folks really go all out to take care of their business customers.
not saying i agree or disagree with what other places do. but i have valid points.
two summers ago or maybe it was the three, i bought fresh made fish chowder and crusty bread, and a dessert, (big bucks) from the general store for a couple who stayed with me ... they were very unhappy and didn't want to stay the two nites they booked because the restaurant they planned to eat at was closed without notice. they went over all set to eat and were turned away by a closed sign on the door. this is a tiny village with only 2 restaurants and the other one had not opened yet for the summer. they ate in the library.
they were happy but told other guests. so then i had other guests asking for the chowder.
then i got a call a few weeks later ... from another b&b where this couple stayed in maine ... that it was against the law for me to be serving dinners and i could be reported and lose my license.
don't know who was going to do the reporting (someone from the other b&b?) but it was a threat and a worry i didn't need. scared this new innkeeper (me!) i told the caller i didn't even make the 'dinner' here! i had already learned i could not cook guest dinners of any kind here.
so then i did a little research with the state and was told i couldn't even serve it. jeesh. couldn't even heat it up for them or take the money for it. this would all have to be handled by a third party from the store or place with the commercial kitchen licensed to sell food.
if soup made offsite is left in the guest 'pantry' for guests gratis, i believe that would be okay as long as the innkeeper doesn't serve it? but lots more money than a great soup i could make up myself. last time i checked, this particular fish chowder was about $12 a quart, (which the two people ate) plus the bread and the dessert.
other innkeepers have to know what the rules are ... depending on where they are.
i didn't plan to repeat it any way as it was too expensive for me to do on a regular basis.
you could go round and round with this ... would bringing in the guests justify the cost, would the guests not be there if the service wasn't provided, etc.

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
Totally off topic, sorta - but back to the gratuities thing where people are shocked at some of the places you should tip. (Gee how did I squeeze that in here? Sorry I have not read the article, only what y'all have mentioned about it). I worked a happy hour when I was in school wherein the food was free, we had peel your own prawns, carved a roast beef, all sorts of diff free food each evening.
The reason? (from the owners perspective) was to buy drinks, the reason I served up the food - the make tips. Prawn night I usually made a $60-100 in tips. The "boat people" would come in - boat people being those living or staying on their yachts at the slips there on the island - some famous, some very wealthy, some just livin' on a boat. Some would come in and eat and leave while milking one cheapo drink and no tipping. Everyone knows a cheapskate and do not want them. Free food from my experience is not just because someone is being nice. There is a reason.
Maybe someone can post the article for us to read who are not in PAII? Someone with authority to do so, ahem, who represents PAII.
wink_smile.gif

i read the article online.
follow the link that is kindly provided by Jay above and you'll be able to read it. here ... i'll copy it for you.
''For those on this forum who haven't received the Fall issue, click here to take a gander.
Jay Karen''

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

Hi JBJ,
Here is a link to the magazine.
The article starts on page 5 of the printed issue (page 7 of the virtual issue). If you want to print it out, there is a printer icon at the top of the page that will help you print page-by-page what you want.
Jay

=)
Kk..
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
Bree said:
seashanty said:
i agree, yellow socks.
wink_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

Hi JBJ,
The article starts on page 5 of the printed issue (page 7 of the virtual issue). If you want to print it out, there is a printer icon at the top of the page that will help you print page-by-page what you want.
Jay
jkarennj said:
Hi JBJ,
Jay
GRACIAS!!!

Back