PAII, Mid-Atlantic, New England???? Which conference?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
I'd love to go to PAII next year, but the registration is quite pricey and there are a lot of extras, too - hotel, flight, etc. However, I can drive to the Mid-Atlantic conference in Lancaster, PA in March.
Is anyone else considering going to this conference? Party!?

BOth are good..but each in their own way. THe Mid Atlantic one is much smaller and PAII provides much more diversity and alot more offerings. But if you can't afford all that is associated with PAII for the travel etc...do go to the Mid Atlantic one. You will ALWAYS pick up lots of good information from sessions and innkeepers alike.

BOth are good..but each in their own way. THe Mid Atlantic one is much smaller and PAII provides much more diversity and alot more offerings. But if you can't afford all that is associated with PAII for the travel etc...do go to the Mid Atlantic one. You will ALWAYS pick up lots of good information from sessions and innkeepers alike..
DH has expressed interest in going to PAII conference. We checked the schedule, and aside form keynote speaker and pre-conference sessions, there does not appear to be a daily schedule of speakers/workshops. Schedule only says at whatever time conference "opens:, "workshop", etc. Are we to assume that the vendors are the speakers, and that the same sessions are repeated each day? I get that if multiple sessions are running in the morning one must choose only one to attend......or are we missing something more specific?

BOth are good..but each in their own way. THe Mid Atlantic one is much smaller and PAII provides much more diversity and alot more offerings. But if you can't afford all that is associated with PAII for the travel etc...do go to the Mid Atlantic one. You will ALWAYS pick up lots of good information from sessions and innkeepers alike..
DH has expressed interest in going to PAII conference. We checked the schedule, and aside form keynote speaker and pre-conference sessions, there does not appear to be a daily schedule of speakers/workshops. Schedule only says at whatever time conference "opens:, "workshop", etc. Are we to assume that the vendors are the speakers, and that the same sessions are repeated each day? I get that if multiple sessions are running in the morning one must choose only one to attend......or are we missing something more specific?
Didn't you see the section on the different tracks...it lists the schedule of the workshops being held for each track under DETAILS
http://www.innkeepingshow.com/schedule

white pine said:
I don't believe a specific schedule for each workshop, other than the ones at the very beginning and the very end of the conference, has been published yet. You are correct in that multiple sessions will run concurrently - usually 5 or 6 at a time - and each person can only attend one per time. Of course, your partner can attend another, and they sometimes repeat the workshops they think will be popular. But for the most part, they are not repeated each day, so you do have to pick and choose what you want to hear about.
Some workshops are run by vendors, especially on the arrival day, but several are run by innkeepers or industry experts. A few of us on the forum have been speakers in the past - like Scott - and I will be on a panel this time. The ending workshop about food by Eight Broads in the Kitchen is run by innkeepers who are excellent cooks.
The official schedule may not be in place until right before the conference, so you will spend the first evening planning your days. Still there are always good workshops at every time slot.

white pine said:
I don't believe a specific schedule for each workshop, other than the ones at the very beginning and the very end of the conference, has been published yet. You are correct in that multiple sessions will run concurrently - usually 5 or 6 at a time - and each person can only attend one per time. Of course, your partner can attend another, and they sometimes repeat the workshops they think will be popular. But for the most part, they are not repeated each day, so you do have to pick and choose what you want to hear about.
Some workshops are run by vendors, especially on the arrival day, but several are run by innkeepers or industry experts. A few of us on the forum have been speakers in the past - like Scott - and I will be on a panel this time. The ending workshop about food by Eight Broads in the Kitchen is run by innkeepers who are excellent cooks.
The official schedule may not be in place until right before the conference, so you will spend the first evening planning your days. Still there are always good workshops at every time slot.
That is kind of what we thought. We found it odd there was not a set schedule, which kind of makes it necessary to be there the entire time. DH is always on a tight schedule, and it would be nice to prioritize which sessions we would like to hit if we can't be there all the days.
We prefer to drive, but that adds a couple of days on either end, but at least we don't get stuck in airports with cancelled flights....Flying out of the north in January.....

white pine said:
That is kind of what we thought. We found it odd there was not a set schedule, which kind of makes it necessary to be there the entire time. DH is always on a tight schedule, and it would be nice to prioritize which sessions we would like to hit if we can't be there all the days.
We prefer to drive, but that adds a couple of days on either end, but at least we don't get stuck in airports with cancelled flights....Flying out of the north in January.....
white pine said:
That is kind of what we thought. We found it odd there was not a set schedule, which kind of makes it necessary to be there the entire time.
Having coordinated a couple of these kinds of conferences, I'm not surprised at all, and there will be changes even to the printed schedule once you arrive at the conference. Lots of last-minute signups for the conference, last-minute cancellations and various emergencies will cause those.
We are driving and planning to arrive on Saturday so we can catch some time in Charleston before the conference starts. It's about 10 hours for us, but we'll stop at an innmate's on the way down, and probably start back Thursday but stop after a few hours and finish the drive on Friday.

white pine said:
white pine said:
That is kind of what we thought. We found it odd there was not a set schedule, which kind of makes it necessary to be there the entire time.
Having coordinated a couple of these kinds of conferences, I'm not surprised at all, and there will be changes even to the printed schedule once you arrive at the conference. Lots of last-minute signups for the conference, last-minute cancellations and various emergencies will cause those.
We are driving and planning to arrive on Saturday so we can catch some time in Charleston before the conference starts. It's about 10 hours for us, but we'll stop at an innmate's on the way down, and probably start back Thursday but stop after a few hours and finish the drive on Friday.
We figure on two days down and back. Friends live about half-way. Maybe we'll meet at the conference!

I am going to Charleston after all! I am driving (saves money) and I think I am staying with a cousin's son (saves money). I will drive down on Monday and come home Thursday since it ends so late in the afternoon because DH is already having separation spasms because the car will not BE SITTING IN THE DRIVEWAY! It will be January, he does not put a toe out of the house if there is a drop of snow or especially if ice! Oh well...

Back