PAII- The Conference- The Skinny

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
First, I want to complement Jay Karen and PAII for the effort they are making to turn PAII into a world-class organization that has the potential to represent thousands of innkeepers in the fast-paced world we call the travel industry. When I participated in the field discussion they had about their ideas for broadening PAII’s appeal, they provided me with a courtesy membership for a few months. Until yesterday, I had not really done anything to look into the membership. Thankfully, it appears it was longer than I had thought and I was able to explore it a little.
My first impression of innkeeping.org was positive. Helpful, informative, easy enough to navigate and, most importantly, professional. I felt a sense of pride that I was an professional innkeeper and this was a site that was for me.
Like so many of you, I have received information recently about the upcoming conference in Austin and we are considering attending. It would appear that the conference costs $439 per person for everything except SR stuff, which does not apply to us. We will likely combine it with an extended trip.

So, my brain got going on how to take full advantage of the opportunity and I have some brainstorming questions about that.

1) Are there marketing opportunities for innkeepers with potential customers? i.e. agents, agencies, media, travel planners, or other.
2) Given the schedule, are there opportunities for innkeepers to plan any events on their own? i.e with other innkeepers
3) Is there an opportunity for our visitors bureau to get involved in some way? i.e. If we hosted the Hawaiian Hospitality Room or such.
4) Do industry executives have opportunities to meet with interest groups? i.e. as part of an effort to form a lobby that could impact our industry in Hawaii

• I would love to hear from others about their positive experiences with the above mentioned concepts.
  • It would be great to hear some success stories as well
  • It would also be wonderful to hear what others have on their brainstorming list when they think about how to maximize this opportunity.

Unfortunately, I can't see our visitor's bureau being interested in this because of the few number of B&Bs here. They also seem to throw their efforts into the hotels and more specifically, the very new hotels.
But, I personally will maximize this opportunity and make the time either before or after the conference to visit friends and fellow innkeepers that I know in the area AND maybe some folks from this forum! :) I plan to capitalize on the learning opportunities and networking.

Unfortunately, I can't see our visitor's bureau being interested in this because of the few number of B&Bs here. They also seem to throw their efforts into the hotels and more specifically, the very new hotels.
But, I personally will maximize this opportunity and make the time either before or after the conference to visit friends and fellow innkeepers that I know in the area AND maybe some folks from this forum! :) I plan to capitalize on the learning opportunities and networking..
Aloha Samster- You have been before? If I may ask more specifically....
Do you have an action plan to maximize your effort?
Are you going with a particular need or intent?
We would certainly look forward to meeting other innkeepers and socializing. It would be great to meet you. We just looking at it from a business point of view and trying to put an action plan together that will increase our bottom line. We know that there will be a lot to learn, but our experience has been that a set of goals and a plan of action makes it much easier for us apply what we learn. We have attended events where too much general information can keep us from our goal rather than move us closer. So instead of swimming in information, we were trying to acess if and how we might be able to use the conference effectively.

But, I personally will maximize this opportunity and make the time either before or after the conference to visit friends and fellow innkeepers that I know in the area AND maybe some folks from this forum! :) I plan to capitalize on the learning opportunities and networking..
We would certainly look forward to meeting other innkeepers and socializing. It would be great to meet you. We just looking at it from a business point of view and trying to put an action plan together that will increase our bottom line. We know that there will be a lot to learn, but our experience has been that a set of goals and a plan of action makes it much easier for us apply what we learn. We have attended events where too much general information can keep us from our goal rather than move us closer. So instead of swimming in information, we were trying to acess if and how we might be able to use the conference effectively.
We'll be attending the PAII conf also. This will be our 4th conference. When you register, you'll get the list of workshops. Take the time to sit down and plan out what workshops each of you want to attend each day. I take all the marketing/website workshops I can fit in and my DH goes to other topics he's interested in. That way we get a better cross section instead of both of us attending the same workshops. Unless you sign up for add-ons, you'll have time after the workshops for dinner or get togethers. We should plan an evening get together of inn-mates!
I wouldn't be too concerned about creating any additional opportunities during the conference. You will be able to choose workshops that are geared toward your specific interests. I usually go away with a couple of real gems...you know, those little ideas that you can incorporate into your business without too much hassle and can make some major differences to your bottom line.
Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with.

We'll be attending the PAII conf also. This will be our 4th conference. When you register, you'll get the list of workshops. Take the time to sit down and plan out what workshops each of you want to attend each day. I take all the marketing/website workshops I can fit in and my DH goes to other topics he's interested in. That way we get a better cross section instead of both of us attending the same workshops. Unless you sign up for add-ons, you'll have time after the workshops for dinner or get togethers. We should plan an evening get together of inn-mates!
I wouldn't be too concerned about creating any additional opportunities during the conference. You will be able to choose workshops that are geared toward your specific interests. I usually go away with a couple of real gems...you know, those little ideas that you can incorporate into your business without too much hassle and can make some major differences to your bottom line.
Aloha BD,
I think we have sort of a general idea of what to expect from the conference and we'll likely employ the same strategy you mentioned for the workshops. Naturally, getting together with the folks on the forum is a great thing.
The brainstorming questions were about how to move beyond the usual routine. When I read them again, I thought- geez- these aren't exactly the easiest questions to respond to!
I suppose we'll just have to give a little thought.

Do you really think you're fooling anyone with this tactic? We already had an ongoing thread on this topic. Oh, that's right; until you all turned it into a name calling joke fest at my expense and it got relegated to the Miscellaneous category. Now you've resurrected it all shiney and new under a different title in a new category.
I'm glad you all had a good laugh. If I'm Don Quixote tilting at windmills, then you're Tom Sawyer doing a whitewash job for the Artful Dodger.

Do you really think you're fooling anyone with this tactic? We already had an ongoing thread on this topic. Oh, that's right; until you all turned it into a name calling joke fest at my expense and it got relegated to the Miscellaneous category. Now you've resurrected it all shiney and new under a different title in a new category.
I'm glad you all had a good laugh. If I'm Don Quixote tilting at windmills, then you're Tom Sawyer doing a whitewash job for the Artful Dodger..
I'm glad you all had a good laugh. If I'm Don Quixote tilting at windmills, then you're Tom Sawyer doing a whitewash job for the Artful Dodger.
I am sorry but I seem to have missed something. First of all, KNK is not talking about the expense of going to the PAII Conference which I seem to remember a previous thread discussing. I also do not remember anyone directing anything derogatory directly at you.other than to say please climb off the dead horse of TA, and that was not calling names, just saying or pleading please. I have not seen anyone laugh AT anyone as any laughter has been with not at.
Obviously this is your opinion which you are totally entitled to and I am entitled to say I am sorry if you feel this way. I thought we had welcomed all with open arms - at least until proven to be scammers, misinformation promoters, or having crossed the line of the Rules of the Forum set by the owner of the Forum and to my knowledge you have not fit into any of those categories.

Aloha BD,
I think we have sort of a general idea of what to expect from the conference and we'll likely employ the same strategy you mentioned for the workshops. Naturally, getting together with the folks on the forum is a great thing.
The brainstorming questions were about how to move beyond the usual routine. When I read them again, I thought- geez- these aren't exactly the easiest questions to respond to!
I suppose we'll just have to give a little thought.
Does Hawaii have a state or each island association? There is an added on association leaders meeting the day before which can be very productive for networking and specific ideas for dealing with a unique regions. If you have any type of association you want to discuss with them the fact that you're going to the conf. and represent them. The added on $ is minimal and most associations are willing to cover it for you.

I'm glad you all had a good laugh. If I'm Don Quixote tilting at windmills, then you're Tom Sawyer doing a whitewash job for the Artful Dodger..
Sorry, I agree with GH...the fellow is just asking for more information and details about attending PAII conference. This has nothing to do with your previous posts and replies. Come on now..
confused_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
SP, as an fyi I asked Swirt to create a section just for REVIEWS. He did this for your benefit as well as others on the forum to use that area for TA information as well as other reviews sites. It is NOT in a MISC CATEGORY it is TITLED ONLINE REVIEWS. Go have a look.
I thought I was being helpful, I know Swirt was kind enough to do that, and it created more work for him. We can go into that area when we need to talk about online reviews and know where all the information is held, instead of mixed into all the dozens or so different categories/threads. "YOU ALL" implies I said something derogatory or name calling which I have not, and do not appreciate being clumped into a bunch.

First and foremost, please accept my apologies if my comments came across as a personal affront or if my humorous thread stealing interrupted an otherwise serious topic.
I was laughing at myself and the term that I found so interesting. I really did have to go look it up to understand its meaning.
Secondly, this thread was exploratory. Like yourself and others, I am looking at how to justify the expense of attending. Part of that involves doing some research and I turned to this forum because I know there are previous attendees who are willing to share what they know. My questions were not very ordinary and I am hoping they have answers that will lead us to attend. Currently, we are undecided.
Thirdly, when I participated in the PAII charette, I was the lone voice of doubt. I pushed Jay to look at whether the hyperbole matched the model. I may have ruffled his feathers a bit, but I hope it was helpful just the same. From that, PAII gave us a trial membership. It took me forever to look into it and when I did, I was pleasantly surprised by the design of the website.
Lastly, I am not interested in personal attacks, baiting people into arguments, or trying to be the alpha male. I am learning to be a better businessperson, a better innkeeper, a better community builder, and a positive force in our world. If you are still left with a bad feeling towards me, please use you ignore key. I haven’t used it, but I think it makes me not appear for you. Aloha

SweetiePie said:
SP, I know that your feelings have been hurt and you probably won't believe me when I say that all we are trying to do is to help you. We're not making fun of you. You obviously have very passionate feelings about your business and your views about TA and PAII. If you don't feel that PAII is a right fit for you, then no doubt you should save your money and not renew.
I will just speak for myself and say that I will be happy to continue dialogue with you on all sorts of subjects but I'm done discussing TA and PAII with you. You've made yourself perfectly clear on where you stand but please let others have discussions on these topics without having it sidetracked by your agenda. I hope you will continue to participate on this forum and hope you know that there is no ill will here.

SweetiePie said:
SP, I know that your feelings have been hurt and you probably won't believe me when I say that all we are trying to do is to help you. We're not making fun of you. You obviously have very passionate feelings about your business and your views about TA and PAII. If you don't feel that PAII is a right fit for you, then no doubt you should save your money and not renew.
I will just speak for myself and say that I will be happy to continue dialogue with you on all sorts of subjects but I'm done discussing TA and PAII with you. You've made yourself perfectly clear on where you stand but please let others have discussions on these topics without having it sidetracked by your agenda. I hope you will continue to participate on this forum and hope you know that there is no ill will here.
" If you don't feel that PAII is a right fit for you, then no doubt you should save your money and not renew."
That's a thought, OR PAII might just be embarrassed into not treating their members in such a condescending manner if they don't like the criticism.

Hey, there! Yes, I have been to a PAII conference before. My action plan is to get as much out of the educational part of the conference as possible. My particular need is to see Austin again :) And specifically, to try to extend the trip a few days to get to the Hill Country. My intent is to go to a few of my favorite places that I dearly miss! :) :)

Huh??? What did I miss in this thread? An innkeeper is asking what he can expect to get out of going to the PAII Conference in Austin next year.

Hey, there! Yes, I have been to a PAII conference before. My action plan is to get as much out of the educational part of the conference as possible. My particular need is to see Austin again :) And specifically, to try to extend the trip a few days to get to the Hill Country. My intent is to go to a few of my favorite places that I dearly miss! :) :)
We almost decided to go just because of Austin and the hill country. Unfortunately, we have to be sensible and save our trip money for Barcelona. It sounds like most folks are following a similar track and they have a general sense that they will learn something and then go have fun. Not a bad way to sneak in a vacation.

We almost decided to go just because of Austin and the hill country. Unfortunately, we have to be sensible and save our trip money for Barcelona. It sounds like most folks are following a similar track and they have a general sense that they will learn something and then go have fun. Not a bad way to sneak in a vacation.
thumbs_up.gif
regular_smile.gif

That's the bonus of going to a conference in a neat place. I lived in Austin for 8 years and would move back to the area in a heartbeat (despite the heat, drought this year, etc.). It's a great city! Not sure yet if my dh will be able to come along for the trip, but I'm going to capitalize on being there to visit some of my old haunts. The list is long, so I'll have to choose wisely.... :)

thumbs_up.gif
regular_smile.gif

That's the bonus of going to a conference in a neat place. I lived in Austin for 8 years and would move back to the area in a heartbeat (despite the heat, drought this year, etc.). It's a great city! Not sure yet if my dh will be able to come along for the trip, but I'm going to capitalize on being there to visit some of my old haunts. The list is long, so I'll have to choose wisely.... :)
Samster said:
thumbs_up.gif
regular_smile.gif

I used to love Austin. It was called and WAS one of the best places to live in the U.S. Sadly, that's changed over the years when what made Austin unique and great attracted people in droves. Now it's rapidly becoming a crowded urban sprawl.
cry_smile.gif

Back