Paintable Wallpaper over bad walls

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
has anyone used paintable wallpaper ... especially has anyone put up paintable wallpaper over damaged walls? it's a very old house and the room hasn't been worked on in years ... the paper is literally curling away from the wall ... if i start peeling off the paper, some plaster comes with it. i thought i'd pull it all off, scrape and spackle and then apply the paintable wallpaper that is supposedly like drywall.

Yes. I've used it.
Works great..
yay! do you recall the product name?
I don't. I've used it a couple of times and am not even sure I used the same brand They're all relatively alike though, in my experience.
It goes on like a super thick wallpaper that's embossed with whatever pattern. I've only used the embossed kind but I know there is also a paintable wallpaper with no pattern at all.
If you've wallpapered before, you can do this.
You will want to get the walls as smooth as you can before you put the wallpaper up but it does forgive a lot.
You can paint it over and over again once it's up. Gives a great look.

ALL of these old houses have paper over the plaster. It was the most common way to cover up the imperfect finish, the room I am in now which we painted this year a bright gold, has paper over the plaster.

Also my inlaws in Australia and New Zealand build new houses and put paper over the drywall in every room even the garages, and paint it. They also use crown moulding in every room as well, which helps finish it off, you don't even notice there is paper behind the paint.

The type of wallpaper is called anaglypta. If you Google it, you will probably find some online sources and information.

The type of wallpaper is called anaglypta. If you Google it, you will probably find some online sources and information..
I'm afraid you don't even have to do the google. Notice those ads coming up with this thread? They've got us covered, it seem.

Oh and forgot to add the paper here in this old place is FLAT and the paint is always flat. The rel's down under use TEXTURED paper.

If you have really bumpy walls after the old comes off I would use a textured wallpaper because that covers just about anything however if they aren't too bad I would use the flat kind as it looks better (we call it lining paper in the UK) the lumpy kind comes in all types of styles and patterns It goes on like normal wallpaper and then you paint it like plaster we have it all over cos of the victorian plaster. Eventually when I win the lottery I would love to re-plaster but for now the wallpaper is holding the walls together!

I used an embossed patterned paper over a painted concrete block wall. Covered beautifully, the pattern I used looked like a tin ceiling, small squares with a motif inside. I painted the paper a cream, and highlighted the embossing using white paint and a hard roller. It looked great, covered well, and stayed up for the 15yrs we owned the building. Got lots of compliments. I got it at a big box home supply store, about $10.00 per double roll.

I have used many paintable wallpapers. I love them they are really great for covering up walls with imperfections and so easy to apply. You can get it in patterns or plain and leave it plain or paint over it.
Cheers,
Julie

Back