Painting Brass

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Has anyone ever spray painted brass hardware? I'm thinking cabinet knobs, light fixtures, things like that. My cabinet hardware is solid brass but it is pitted. All of the doors have backplates behind the knobs so I really can't take them off without leaving the outline where the finish has darkened. Looked today at the hardware store and all of the knobs with backplates were running about $8 each. I was planning in the $3 range!
If you've done anything like this, how did you proceed? Sanding? Primer?

I had some old stuff that was fairly smooth. Sanded with 600 gritt paper then covered with several coats of lacquer. Still looks good after many years.
BBBBob

My "new" bathroom has brass finish faucets (the handheld shower in the claw-foot was brass) but the cost of the brass fittings (stuff on the water lines at the floor, etc) was horrendous! We bought chrome and spray painted with rustoleum gold paint. It worked. That was in 2006 and so far so good.

Yes you can spray paint brass without much trouble. I would just clean it good first with something like "barkeepers friend", rinse it good with water then when dry paint it. You may after the cleaning realize you like the brass as it is ;)

Can you sand and polish them? If they are good solid brass you need to refinish rather than paint. But if you have to hire someone to do it ...not worth the expense. My hubby has a bench grinder with polishing wheel which he has used to refurbish many of our brass fixtures. Painting them can be done sanding and priming etc...but he says you are asking for problems. IF you really want to paint them..take them off and spray paint...not brush paint. Good luck.

Can you sand and polish them? If they are good solid brass you need to refinish rather than paint. But if you have to hire someone to do it ...not worth the expense. My hubby has a bench grinder with polishing wheel which he has used to refurbish many of our brass fixtures. Painting them can be done sanding and priming etc...but he says you are asking for problems. IF you really want to paint them..take them off and spray paint...not brush paint. Good luck..
My problem is the 80's. I am so tired of shiny brass fittings everywhere I look. All of the light fixtures, lamps, door hardware. Thank goodness not the bathroom fittings. Maybe if they are de-shined a bit I might like them. But they glare. Not the cabinet hardware, that is worn down from use and the kitchen light fixtures are being replaced.

Can you sand and polish them? If they are good solid brass you need to refinish rather than paint. But if you have to hire someone to do it ...not worth the expense. My hubby has a bench grinder with polishing wheel which he has used to refurbish many of our brass fixtures. Painting them can be done sanding and priming etc...but he says you are asking for problems. IF you really want to paint them..take them off and spray paint...not brush paint. Good luck..
My problem is the 80's. I am so tired of shiny brass fittings everywhere I look. All of the light fixtures, lamps, door hardware. Thank goodness not the bathroom fittings. Maybe if they are de-shined a bit I might like them. But they glare. Not the cabinet hardware, that is worn down from use and the kitchen light fixtures are being replaced.
Alibi Ike said:
Maybe if they are de-shined a bit I might like them. But they glare.
Have you ever tried Rub 'n Buff? I know it sounds like something you'd find in an adult store, but it works pretty well and comes in several finishes. I have used it to tone down some hinges and knobs and like it.

thanks for sharing good valuable information specially i am now ready to go for my villa painting

Back