Painting furniture

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
After everyone is done feasting, I need some ideas on painting furniture. I have 4-5 dressers that got pretty beat up this year (soda left on the tops peeled the finish off, scratches from suitcases, plain old wear and tear). I'm considering painting rather than staining when I refinish all of them this coming year. How do I pick a color? Should I do the whole dresser or just the top surface? Should I scuff up the surface when I'm done to make it look 'antique-y'? None of these pieces will cause anyone to sob in dismay that I painted them. They're all about 70 years old and not hard to find.
All of the dressers have attached mirrors- leave those alone or paint those, too?

what the pO's did which looks really good is crackle glazing which is when you paint it in one colour like red then paint over it with another colour ie white or cream then you repaint the whole lot with crackle glaze which cracks the top layer of paint into a cool effect.

You probably don't think of You tube but it is excellent for this kind of stuff as all the product manufacturers do vidios to show how to use their product. and DIY shops so its very handy.

After "guest wear "on table tops,I poly them. It is hard to see the rings, etc with a glossy new top of poly. I use the non spray on, Olympic interior wipe-on Polyurethane gloss finish. One quart goes a very long way.

This is pretty cool! http://www.shelterness.com/25-diy-interior-decorating-ideas-to-use-maps/
102527328986574138_uDhwFbRZ_c.jpg

Back