Pancakes Appearance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
DW makes pecan-blueberry pancakes, usually when we have one nighters. She uses a mix and adds fresh blueberries. Instead of a nice golden brown, we've noticed of late that the color is a little lighter than in previous pancake batches. Is this an ingredient issue or is our griddle not getting hot enough?

Sounds like the griddle isn't hot enough. Before you put grease on the pan. Test it. Drop a few drops of water on the griddle. THey should bounce around quickly and then be gone:)

Did you switch from butter to spray or anything ON the griddle? Preheated griddle will brown em up real nice.

Yep pancakes require a HOT GRIDDLE only. Not medium heat, but medium hot to hot. I think there is a saying about that somewhere and probably from Texas - you will have to remind us! HOT CAKES! There that is it!

In this day and age you'd get your face slapped if you called 'em "Hoe Cakes". Takes on a different meaning from the original.

You think that color is different, we serve blue corn pancakes and the looks they receive from the uninitiated are hilarious.
Its a good thing they taste so damn good with the green chiles and toasted pinon nuts in them.
Before we started using farm fresh eggs, they'd be be this obvious purplish color, but now with those deep golden yolks, they are more grayish because of the blue and orange being opposites on the color wheel.
Joe is right on the temp too, hot is better than not hot enough for nice browning. I've got the burn scars on my forearms from trying to be helpful to prove it. LOL

Back