Pancakes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think consistency of the batter is the most important, too wet and it spreads out on the pan too thin, too dry and it stays in one blob and is in danger of not cooking properly in the middle. I mix mine in a measuring jug, and as I whisk it, it comes away from the sides but if I hold the whisk up it still runs back.
I will definitely try buttermilk instead of milk.

If you want to use a mix, try Krustez (buttermilk) which you can get at the CostClub. If you want them to shine, here are the adulterations that will them shine....
Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and a giant dollop of full fat sour cream. It will give them the bittersweet notes that people want from a good pancake. BUT this won't keep a long because the sour cream will react to the baking soda. They will be very light and very fluffy, but you can't let them sit on the counter for a half hour once mixed... they air will start to develop. So start working immediately..
Jon Sable said:
If you want to use a mix, try Krustez (buttermilk) which you can get at the CostClub. If you want them to shine, here are the adulterations that will them shine....
Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and a giant dollop of full fat sour cream. It will give them the bittersweet notes that people want from a good pancake. BUT this won't keep a long because the sour cream will react to the baking soda. They will be very light and very fluffy, but you can't let them sit on the counter for a half hour once mixed... they air will start to develop. So start working immediately.
YOU use Krusteaz ? YOU! JONNO the GREAT!
In all fairness Krusteaz was invented by little old ladies who wanted the best crust and pancake mix. Plus they are an awesome company who supports many great causes in the pAcNW.
I am addicted to sour cream in things such as this, Addicted!
Didn't say I use it... :) But if I was to use it ;) That is how I would adulterate it so that it tasted great.
One thing I forgot to mention that most people should know. Don't overmix. Just like muffins, gluten is you enemy here. Overmixing will bring out the gluten and the rubbery texture. Undermix if anything.

I do pancakes often and they are always very popular. Although I have made some "fancy"pancakes, this basic recipe works every time and is the most popular. I make seasonal variations like adding a little almond extract to the wet ingredients when we chop up pears to add, or a little cinnamon to the dry ingredients when we chop up apples. Raspberry and almond are also a big hit. This feeds 4 with a starter and bacon on the side...just do the multiplication for a larger group:
Bowl #1 Combine wet ingredients
1 egg, beaten with whisk
2 Tb melted butter
3/4 cup shaken buttermilk +1/4 cup milk
Bowl #2 Combine dry ingredients
1 cup King Art's flour
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add dry ingredients to wet, stir to combine and add any fruit (berries, pear, almond etc)
Cook on preheated, buttered griddle until bubbles open on top. Flip and cook until set and brown on bottom.
Serve with butter and real maple syrup.

I get good reviews with the Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes I posted in the Recipes. I rarely make pancakes these days.

A while back, someone on the forum said that Aunt Je mima was a good as from scratch, so I've used that as my base. To 1 cup of the dry mix I add the usual egg, oil and milk, but I also add a teaspoon of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and a generous 1/2 cup of left over cooked steel cut oats and a handful of pecans. People like them.
Another option is to mix the batter with chocolate milk instead of "sweet milk y'all" and add mini chocolate chips to the batter..
Do you think quick-cook oats (raw) would work out? I've seen some recipes that call for soaking the oats overnight. Wonder if that would help since I don't ever have cooked oatmeal sitting around waiting for a purpose.
Kay Nein said:
Do you think quick-cook oats (raw) would work out? I've seen some recipes that call for soaking the oats overnight. Wonder if that would help since I don't ever have cooked oatmeal sitting around waiting for a purpose.
I think rolled oats would work just fine. I sometimes cook steel cut oats to serve for breakfast. Business guests sometimes don't want the whole magilla, so a bowl of oatmeal hits the spot. The easiest way for me to cook them is to add 3/4 c steel cut oats to a scant 3 cups of boiling water the night before. Then turn off the stove, cover the pot, and heat in the am. I think for the pancakes if you did that you might need more like a quarter cup in 1/2 - 3/4 c boiling water, so most of the water would absorb overnight.

I love you guys!! I don't know how we ever would have managed without your advice and guidance. I can't wait to start experimenting. Bought a box of Auntie tonight (before reading the rest of your comments).
Tell me this - how do y'all feel about powdered buttermilk? I started keeping a container in the fridge to add to things and I haven't had any problems with it. I wouldn't use buttermilk enough to actually buy a container.

I love you guys!! I don't know how we ever would have managed without your advice and guidance. I can't wait to start experimenting. Bought a box of Auntie tonight (before reading the rest of your comments).
Tell me this - how do y'all feel about powdered buttermilk? I started keeping a container in the fridge to add to things and I haven't had any problems with it. I wouldn't use buttermilk enough to actually buy a container..
Ialways used the powdered buttermilk. I found it useful rather than having to keep some in the fridge.

Tell me this - how do y'all feel about powdered buttermilk? I started keeping a container in the fridge to add to things and I haven't had any problems with it. I wouldn't use buttermilk enough to actually buy a container..
For baking I love powdered buttermilk. Haven't tried it in pancakes.

Krusteaz is the best for pancakes or waffles!! No add ins. Always compliments. Served with fresh fruit, four syrup choices and whip cream. Folks ask for the recipe! Costco I did not know about over mixing. Thanks for that, Jon.

Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and a giant dollop of full fat sour cream. It will give them the bittersweet notes that people want from a good pancake. BUT this won't keep a long because the sour cream will react to the baking soda. They will be very light and very fluffy, but you can't let them sit on the counter for a half hour once mixed... they air will start to develop. So start working immediately..
Jon Sable said:
Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and a giant dollop of full fat sour cream. It will give them the bittersweet notes that people want from a good pancake. BUT this won't keep a long because the sour cream will react to the baking soda. They will be very light and very fluffy, but you can't let them sit on the counter for a half hour once mixed... they air will start to develop. So start working immediately.
In all fairness Krusteaz was invented by little old ladies who wanted the best crust and pancake mix. Plus they are an awesome company who supports many great causes in the pAcNW.
Giggle. We've had an exec from the company stay here a couple of times. First time I was asked if we serve pancakes. I had to say "no", then was asked if we made them for ourselves. Once in a blue. Then how do you make them? I told him-scratch until a good friend said Krusteaz. He then said "Right Answer!" I brought out the bag and we had a laugh. Funny thing is we have a 24 inch restaurant type griddle. I make French toast for guests, do the potatoes, sausage and bacon for guests but pancakes very rarely, and only for family and friends.

The best pancakes I have ever had are sour cream based...it gives them a really decadent richness.
Whisk together in a bowl: 1 cup AP flour + 1 tablespoon sugar + 1 teaspoon baking soda + pinch salt
In a separate bowl (or measuring cup), whisk together 1 egg, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla OR fresh lemon zest OR some cinnamon.
Whisk wet ingredients into the dry and let sit to thicken about 15 minutes. Makes about 8 standard size pancakes.
For fruit pancakes, I use IQF plain frozen fruit for berries - this is particularly good with a blend of different berries. A mashed fresh banana is great as well as some diced sauteed apple. Once you pour the pancake batter, just dot the top with the fruit.

Not trying to boast, but the first guests down for breakfast asked what they were having, and when they heard Pecan Pancakes the husband said "That is all she talks about from the last visit!"
So I am glad I made them this morning! I love our guests
heart.gif

Jon Sable said:
Giggle. We've had an exec from the company stay here a couple of times. First time I was asked if we serve pancakes. I had to say "no", then was asked if we made them for ourselves. Once in a blue. Then how do you make them? I told him-scratch until a good friend said Krusteaz. He then said "Right Answer!" I brought out the bag and we had a laugh. Funny thing is we have a 24 inch restaurant type griddle. I make French toast for guests, do the potatoes, sausage and bacon for guests but pancakes very rarely, and only for family and friends.
Anon Inn said:
It goes in waves. I heard so much flack about quiche a few years ago I stopped making it, even though my quiche was "Blue Ridge Butt Kickin' Quiche" and everyone loves the heckoutofit!
People are anti pancake, but love pancakes. So for me I don't make it the main thing, it is with the rest, but somehow always is the star. I like a balance of sweet and savory. The bacon I bought this week was not as good as my normal choice, but crisped up so well (even blackened in parts so was the best looking bacon ever) in the forman grill that I may have to buy it again. Dang!

I just add a tad of cider vinegar to get my sour or buttermilk. The only time there is a "bottle" of sour milk is if the milk on hand went sour. I NEVER throw away sour milk!

Krusteaz is the best for pancakes or waffles!! No add ins. Always compliments. Served with fresh fruit, four syrup choices and whip cream. Folks ask for the recipe! Costco I did not know about over mixing. Thanks for that, Jon..
Very important with muffins, pancakes, waffles and cakes. Mix until moistened but not smooth. The less you mix the better they will be.
Try the sour cream and baking soda/powder mix in and you will see how fluffier they will be :)

Powdered buttermilk is fine and works well. I prefer sour cream. Incidentally sour cream should be stored upside down (so should yoghurt), so that air can't get into the container; it will last longer this way. If you don't want to bother with buttermilk (which you can freeze if you want to) you can also use sour milk as K suggested. But the fat content of the sour cream and the reaction to the baking soda gives it a lift that you can't get elsewhere.
Note: If you use buttermilk, sour cream or sour milk, you use baking soda to get air bubbles and they react instantly. When using milk that isn't soured you using baking powder instead. Magic baking powder or double baking powder is buffered so that the bubbles mostly form when heated, so it can sit for a while.
PS: Most buttermilk powder is supposed to be stored in the fridge, not the cupboard.

Jon Sable said:
Truth be told, I use Krusteaz scone mix for my scones. I've tried all sorts of recipes, but the ones the guests prefer is the Krusteaz! I add different fruits, choc chips, substitute juice for water, etc. I also top them with turbinado sugar before I bake them. They are so easy! In the winter/holiday time, the big cost store sells boxes of pumpkin spice quick bread mix and I buy a ton to last months. I make muffins out of it and also pumpkin pancakes. They are outrageously delicious!

We tend to be a whole grain place. I don't use much white flour.
One of the best recipes for pancakes that I have came from sourcing gluten free ideas.
100% Buckwheat Pancakes. They are thinner than the traditional fluffy cake, but they are the bomb with a warm fresh fruit compote and 100% maple syrup. Many of guests don't even add any syrup.
I have on occasion added a small amount of fluffy mix to get a little stretch out of the amount of batter the recipe makes, but the nice thing about these cakes is that you can make the batter ahead and let it sit without it affecting the quality. In fact, you mix it well and let it sit to allow the buckwheat flour to saturate the liquid.

I get good reviews with the Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes I posted in the Recipes. I rarely make pancakes these days..
I just looked at that recipe. Do you mix all the wet together and then add it? The recipe looks like you put each wet ingredient into the well and then mix it all together.

I do pancakes often and they are always very popular. Although I have made some "fancy"pancakes, this basic recipe works every time and is the most popular. I make seasonal variations like adding a little almond extract to the wet ingredients when we chop up pears to add, or a little cinnamon to the dry ingredients when we chop up apples. Raspberry and almond are also a big hit. This feeds 4 with a starter and bacon on the side...just do the multiplication for a larger group:
Bowl #1 Combine wet ingredients
1 egg, beaten with whisk
2 Tb melted butter
3/4 cup shaken buttermilk +1/4 cup milk
Bowl #2 Combine dry ingredients
1 cup King Art's flour
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add dry ingredients to wet, stir to combine and add any fruit (berries, pear, almond etc)
Cook on preheated, buttered griddle until bubbles open on top. Flip and cook until set and brown on bottom.
Serve with butter and real maple syrup..
My only experience with almond extract is adding it to my cherry pie filling. About how much almond extract would you recommend using? I'm not that familiar with it. 1/4 teaspoon?

Back