Pancakes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do y'all make your pancakes big & give them two? Or medallion size three count? Do tell.
When we do waffles (we give them 3 of the four quarters) or french toast, we serve with bacon and scrambled eggs on the same plate. I have to have protein (eggs) with my breakfast, so I try to make sure our guests get that also.
What do you serve with yours?.
2 pancakes about this big. Ha ha. My guess? 4" diameter. But it depends on whether it's 4 or 8 on the griddle at a time.
Pancakes and meat side. We never do pancakes and eggs on the same day. I think it's too much food. But that's me.
Waffles you get all 4 quarters. And a meat side.
French toast we've been using croissants lately but previously we used Italian bread and gave 3 slices.
When we do eggs each person gets 2.5 eggs. Unless you sit down by yourself, then you get 3 eggs. Scrambled. No fried eggs. No poached eggs.
Omelets are huge. They hang over the plate. Tomatoes. Mushrooms. Or any combo thereof.
We tried fried eggs but there are too many variations. Some people won't eat scrambled eggs and that's just hard on dh.
If it's quiche then 1/8 of the pie.
All egg dishes served with toast, jam and meat side.
Madeleine said:
Pancakes and meat side. We never do pancakes and eggs on the same day. I think it's too much food. But that's me.
And I also do scrambled eggs with pancakes, every time. Again, I don't like too much sweet and or too much carb, so I always have eggs as an added protein. Plus they go good with bacon!
shades_smile.gif

Just one more reason to like you, Madame Bloggs =)

I do pancakes often and they are always very popular. Although I have made some "fancy"pancakes, this basic recipe works every time and is the most popular. I make seasonal variations like adding a little almond extract to the wet ingredients when we chop up pears to add, or a little cinnamon to the dry ingredients when we chop up apples. Raspberry and almond are also a big hit. This feeds 4 with a starter and bacon on the side...just do the multiplication for a larger group:
Bowl #1 Combine wet ingredients
1 egg, beaten with whisk
2 Tb melted butter
3/4 cup shaken buttermilk +1/4 cup milk
Bowl #2 Combine dry ingredients
1 cup King Art's flour
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add dry ingredients to wet, stir to combine and add any fruit (berries, pear, almond etc)
Cook on preheated, buttered griddle until bubbles open on top. Flip and cook until set and brown on bottom.
Serve with butter and real maple syrup..
My only experience with almond extract is adding it to my cherry pie filling. About how much almond extract would you recommend using? I'm not that familiar with it. 1/4 teaspoon?
I would not do more than 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract - it is a strong flavoring.

I get good reviews with the Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes I posted in the Recipes. I rarely make pancakes these days..
I just looked at that recipe. Do you mix all the wet together and then add it? The recipe looks like you put each wet ingredient into the well and then mix it all together.
I am a lazy cook. I put the dry ingredients into the bowl, make a well, add everything else and mix. I like the walnuts less chunky shall we say than DH does. But this does make good pancakes.

I get good reviews with the Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes I posted in the Recipes. I rarely make pancakes these days..
I just looked at that recipe. Do you mix all the wet together and then add it? The recipe looks like you put each wet ingredient into the well and then mix it all together.
I am a lazy cook. I put the dry ingredients into the bowl, make a well, add everything else and mix. I like the walnuts less chunky shall we say than DH does. But this does make good pancakes.
I've written it down to try. I just need to get a couple of the ingredients. Thank you!

Do y'all make your pancakes big & give them two? Or medallion size three count? Do tell.
When we do waffles (we give them 3 of the four quarters) or french toast, we serve with bacon and scrambled eggs on the same plate. I have to have protein (eggs) with my breakfast, so I try to make sure our guests get that also.
2 pancakes about this big. Ha ha. My guess? 4" diameter. But it depends on whether it's 4 or 8 on the griddle at a time.
French toast we've been using croissants lately but previously we used Italian bread and gave 3 slices.
When we do eggs each person gets 2.5 eggs. Unless you sit down by yourself, then you get 3 eggs. Scrambled. No fried eggs. No poached eggs.
Omelets are huge. They hang over the plate. Tomatoes. Mushrooms. Or any combo thereof.
We tried fried eggs but there are too many variations. Some people won't eat scrambled eggs and that's just hard on dh.
Madeleine said:
And I also do scrambled eggs with pancakes, every time. Again, I don't like too much sweet and or too much carb, so I always have eggs as an added protein. Plus they go good with bacon!
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
We are starting next weekend. Scrambled eggs, pancakes and bacon. On a buffet server.
Here is the big question. One of us says with all that food, we don't need muffins or coffee cake. The other one says, people like the baked goods and expect them. We should do both hot food and a baked good plate.
Opinions? Experiences?

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
We are starting next weekend. Scrambled eggs, pancakes and bacon. On a buffet server.
Here is the big question. One of us says with all that food, we don't need muffins or coffee cake. The other one says, people like the baked goods and expect them. We should do both hot food and a baked good plate.
Opinions? Experiences?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
My mother tells me all the time "You need to do a buffet and save all that trouble!" She having not spent 1 day in my shoes doesn't understand. I told her "Mom you don't understand, to do a buffet you need to put MORE out there, not less. You can't put 2 slices of bacon per person, one person will take it all before the next, it actually costs more!"
So that is my answer. You need to have more not less.
As a guest, sure I would like a buffet where I can take 10 slices of bacon and a smaller portion of scrambled eggs...sure.

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
My mother tells me all the time "You need to do a buffet and save all that trouble!" She having not spent 1 day in my shoes doesn't understand. I told her "Mom you don't understand, to do a buffet you need to put MORE out there, not less. You can't put 2 slices of bacon per person, one person will take it all before the next, it actually costs more!"
As a guest, sure I would like a buffet where I can take 10 slices of bacon and a smaller portion of scrambled eggs...sure.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
LOL Great point. We are constantly amazed at the eating habits of our guests. One day, the fruit is gone and the next day it isn't touched! Who knows, right? We are 'healthy' eaters. Not picky healthy. Like I don't worry about organic or free range. But low fat, low sugar, high protein, good food types. So we would skip the muffin if offered eggs and pancakes.
But I still say.....I mean, one of us maintains that people at a B&B expect baked goods.

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
LOL Great point. We are constantly amazed at the eating habits of our guests. One day, the fruit is gone and the next day it isn't touched! Who knows, right? We are 'healthy' eaters. Not picky healthy. Like I don't worry about organic or free range. But low fat, low sugar, high protein, good food types. So we would skip the muffin if offered eggs and pancakes.
But I still say.....I mean, one of us maintains that people at a B&B expect baked goods.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
When we went on a cruise all I wanted there were grapefruit and orange segments, and they didn't have it on that cruise line, weird.
When we stopped at a hotel on the way home and didn't get to stay with innmates (due to arriving three days earlier and more dramas) the chain hotel (with an H and ends in N) had a whole spread of the citrus segments, I ate bowlfuls!
citris.jpg

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
Both. I love a sweet for breakfast. Might just have a piece of coffee cake and skip the eggs. Make mini muffins and cut the coffee cake smaller.

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
I would always have the option of some sort of bread or muffin even if I did serve pancakes:)

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
When we went on a cruise all I wanted there were grapefruit and orange segments, and they didn't have it on that cruise line, weird.
When we stopped at a hotel on the way home and didn't get to stay with innmates (due to arriving three days earlier and more dramas) the chain hotel (with an H and ends in N) had a whole spread of the citrus segments, I ate bowlfuls!
citris.jpg

We always offered a citrus mix but I am not a grapefruit fan. So I always made a simple syrup with a vanilla bean in it. Let the fruit sit in it overnight..YUMMO...everyone ate it including grapefruit haters like me.

Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
shades_smile.gif
Opinions? Experiences?
Both. I love a sweet for breakfast. Might just have a piece of coffee cake and skip the eggs. Make mini muffins and cut the coffee cake smaller.
I agree on mini muffins. They will hee and haw if they are normal sized. Mini... they will take and be delighted.

One I love that hasn't been mentioned already - carrot cake pancakes.
Shred (lots of) carrots, toast nuts, add spices, raisins and brown sugar - mix together and let sit (orange zest will do wonders). Add to pancake mix. Make a cream cheese frosting and drizzle. The smell is fabulous. Needs a touch of baking powder to give a little lift.

Shred (lots of) carrots, toast nuts, add spices, raisins and brown sugar - mix together and let sit (orange zest will do wonders). Add to pancake mix. Make a cream cheese frosting and drizzle. The smell is fabulous. Needs a touch of baking powder to give a little lift..
ukmaineiac said:
Shred (lots of) carrots, toast nuts, add spices, raisins and brown sugar - mix together and let sit (orange zest will do wonders). Add to pancake mix. Make a cream cheese frosting and drizzle. The smell is fabulous. Needs a touch of baking powder to give a little lift.
amazing. simply amazing.

Shred (lots of) carrots, toast nuts, add spices, raisins and brown sugar - mix together and let sit (orange zest will do wonders). Add to pancake mix. Make a cream cheese frosting and drizzle. The smell is fabulous. Needs a touch of baking powder to give a little lift..
ukmaineiac said:
amazing. simply amazing.
THANKS !! Sorry I don't have a "real" recipe. It was an invention that worked. Also replied because I forget to mention that ginger is important (just the plain old powdered kind)

Oh pancakes. Once you have a base mix you can do anything with them!
A favorite at the inn was pear ginger.
Add a little ginger to the mix and put some chopped pears on top while cooking. Serve with a brandied maple syrup
Another good one was blueberry with lemon zest in the pancakes
I like to mash up a ripe banana with my wet ingredients and add chocolate chips while cooking.

ukmaineiac said:
amazing. simply amazing.
THANKS !! Sorry I don't have a "real" recipe. It was an invention that worked. Also replied because I forget to mention that ginger is important (just the plain old powdered kind)
ukmaineiac said:
Now here I thought you meant you had to have ginger hair to make the recipe. Now that would be something!
We should start adding these requirements! haha

ukmaineiac said:
amazing. simply amazing.
ukmaineiac said:
Now here I thought you meant you had to have ginger hair to make the recipe. Now that would be something!
We should start adding these requirements! haha
Yup ...... In my advanced years I now really am the plain old gingered powdered kind ........ as opposed to the carrot top I used to be. Still, the two combined make for awesome pancakes !!!! Nice one JB

Not trying to boast, but the first guests down for breakfast asked what they were having, and when they heard Pecan Pancakes the husband said "That is all she talks about from the last visit!"
So I am glad I made them this morning! I love our guests
heart.gif
ok you got me paying attention. Pecan pancakes sounds good. Would you share your recipe. Also can you make it into waffles???

Back