Parfum Thief!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I walked into the guest room today, wiping down the countertop. I have two fragrances, two lotions and an air freshener on the counter top, in addition to a "what not" basket.
I realized something was missing. It was a $50 (2004 price) bottle of Clinique Happy Parfum spray. Earlier in the day, I was walking out their patio door and realized the "window quilt" was not working properly. It is a quilted fabric with mylar inside, to keep out the sun and the occasional wayward breeze if the patio door becomes ajar. The guests coming in tonight will not have a shade on their patio door, at ground level. I will probably end up upgrading them, but what about tomorrow night, when I am full and cannot switch rooms? Window quilts are no longer being made, so it isn't like I can easily replace this $600 item nor get parts for it, not easily, at least...
The last couple in there was about 50ish. We got along well, and I visited with them for a short while during breakfast, as well as during check in.
If people have difficulty with items, they don't bother to ask. I had a guest have trouble with the TV remote, then in frustration, put the batteries in the device BACKWARDS!
What would you do about the damage and missing spray?
Thanks!

As for the missing fragrance, guests assume if it is left out and it not 'decor' it is for them to take. No, I would not remove an air freshener or large, 'family size' bottles of anything, but not everyone gets this.
As for the window shade, can't really charge for that as you can't prove they deliberately broke it.

whattha.gif

As for the missing fragrance, guests assume if it is left out and it not 'decor' it is for them to take. No, I would not remove an air freshener or large, 'family size' bottles of anything, but not everyone gets this.
As for the window shade, can't really charge for that as you can't prove they deliberately broke it..
Attempting to fix it, I just found the broken part in the window track... !!!!!!!! WHY IN THE BLANK DON'T PEOPLE SAY SOMETHING!!!!

As for the window shade, can't really charge for that as you can't prove they deliberately broke it..
Attempting to fix it, I just found the broken part in the window track... !!!!!!!! WHY IN THE BLANK DON'T PEOPLE SAY SOMETHING!!!!
Because telling you might mean that they have to pay for it. Why don't people tell me when the light bulb burns out? Why don't people tell me when they break anything? Why do guests open the window when their is an AC unit in it and it clearly breaks the seal on the window caulking.... or worse, could cause the AC unit to fall three floors? Because no one wants to take responsibility anymore. We are a NO-FAULT society.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Analysis+Living+pass+buck+society/5061808/story.html

Because telling you might mean that they have to pay for it. Why don't people tell me when the light bulb burns out? Why don't people tell me when they break anything? Why do guests open the window when their is an AC unit in it and it clearly breaks the seal on the window caulking.... or worse, could cause the AC unit to fall three floors? Because no one wants to take responsibility anymore. We are a NO-FAULT society.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Analysis+Living+pass+buck+society/5061808/story.html
We have our window-unit A/C's screwed into the window sash and the sill. You need your one guest with the screwdriver to get the window open. But, do have an innkeeper friend who had guests open the window the A/C was in and it did fall 2 stories into their garden.
I am completely without ice as someone cleared all of the ice out of the guest fridge AND the inn fridge. Could they have rung the bell and asked for more ice? No, apparently not.

remnjava said:
Sometimes they forget. Seriously. Whwn we travel I try to remember to tell the innkeeper if something isn't working right but I forget. Plain and simple. It's not a priority as I'm walking out the door. I did once tell an innkeeper I broke a dish. ANd I left a note so no one would come in to the pantry in the morning to clean and cut themselves.
They may have assumed it was already broken and you knew. (Because not everyone knows we really CARE about these things and we would fix them if we knew!) They're used to hotels where you could get the same room a year later and the same stuff still doesn't work.

We have our window-unit A/C's screwed into the window sash and the sill. You need your one guest with the screwdriver to get the window open. But, do have an innkeeper friend who had guests open the window the A/C was in and it did fall 2 stories into their garden.
I am completely without ice as someone cleared all of the ice out of the guest fridge AND the inn fridge. Could they have rung the bell and asked for more ice? No, apparently not.
OH MY! And I suppose the guests were not around when it happened... (A/C)
We have casement windows (my fault) on our new room. Unfortunately the wind blows in the opposite direction! I have a note on each, saying please do not open.
I've been lucky when the guests have gotten into my refrigerator, they have replaced the ice cubes.

We have casement windows (my fault) on our new room. Unfortunately the wind blows in the opposite direction! I have a note on each, saying please do not open.
I've been lucky when the guests have gotten into my refrigerator, they have replaced the ice cubes.
No, the guests watched it fall. I can't remember if they told the innkeepers or they found it on their own the next morning.

I will never again own a house with casement windows. The other half insists on closing every single window at night 'in case it rains'. I about die with no air all night. We go to bed and it's 78 in here and we wake up and it's 78 in here, even tho it's 65 outside.
Never again.

No, the guests watched it fall. I can't remember if they told the innkeepers or they found it on their own the next morning.
Well... it seems the problem with the window quilt was actually wear and tear. I took a few snap shots and emailed it to a seller on Ebay who advised me it was an easy fix. The pin that holds it in place sheered off. Part is $5.00 inc shipping, plus having a former guest, who is a handyman, install it.
Now to ask the guest where she placed the parfum...
I probably should have had windows that don't open, since double hung windows just wouldn't have looked right on this house.

Well... it seems the problem with the window quilt was actually wear and tear. I took a few snap shots and emailed it to a seller on Ebay who advised me it was an easy fix. The pin that holds it in place sheered off. Part is $5.00 inc shipping, plus having a former guest, who is a handyman, install it.
I probably should have had windows that don't open, since double hung windows just wouldn't have looked right on this house.
For myself, I can't imagine having $50 perfume in a room for a guest to use. Just wouldn't expect it to stay around very long.

remnjava said:
What would you do about the ..... missing spray?
Thanks!
Is it at all possible that the other half of the couple packed it away thinking it belonged to the them? You might try emailing and asking if they happened to move it ...
I learned my lesson the hard way not to have anything I treasured in the guest rooms or common areas in case it got lost, damaged or walked away accidentally or on purpose. For me, it was a handmade throw that went just perfect in one of the guest rooms ... so I used it as a decorative accent in there. It wasn't until later in the day after checkout as I was making up the room that I missed it because the room wasn't needed for a few days ... hunted all over the place in case it had been carried down to a common area or left on a porch or deck .... it had been chilly. I did occasionally launder this and some other more delicate items, so had to search through the laundry and chase down my helper who couldn't recall if she'd seen it or not before during or after.
Was debating how to approach the last guest in that room when it arrived by post ... the guest enclosed a note saying she had packed it away by mistake.
I put it in my bedroom after that.

For myself, I can't imagine having $50 perfume in a room for a guest to use. Just wouldn't expect it to stay around very long.
InnBloom said:
We don't have anything like that all. No scented anything in the rooms. I have a horrible time with scents and it's really bad when a guest is reeking and I have to serve them.

One of the most common complaints about B&B's is that there's too much 'junk' sitting around (and sometimes it's not clean, either) and therefore there's little space left for our guests to put their own things. Amenities for guests' use are one thing; knick-knacks are quite a different story.

InnBloom said:
We don't have anything like that all. No scented anything in the rooms. I have a horrible time with scents and it's really bad when a guest is reeking and I have to serve them.
ditto: absolutely no fragrances. And any loose items will eventually get packed away by mistake. Don't replace the perfume bottle!

Back